Simucube 2 True Drive Paddock Early Access

You are not alone I just got my Simucube and was having the exact same issues. 2020.10 being completely stable. If I can ask where are you from? I was told that it has something to do with how the U.S. 110v electrical grid and the PSU interact.

1 Like

A question for those of you that moved over to using the online versions of TD.

Is there a large amount and variation of shared profiles to be found and would you say that this online profile sharing section has been helpful for you when compared to the older, offline versions?

4 Likes

there arenā€™t many profiles at the moment, most sims have 1/2 profiles shared with iracing topping at around 5 now.
my thoughts on the whole online td is that, as often happens, it is preferred to give people some ready to eat fish instead of teaching them to fish. the question I have seen the most in this forum is not ā€œwhere can I find a profile for the game x?ā€, but ā€œcan someone teach me how td parameters work, how the filters interact with each other to be independent in tuning ffb?ā€.
also, most sims require to do some edits in the game files to be adapted to dd, not having the option in td online to attach a text file means that a user will need to rely on the forum anyway, a place where he would have found the profile he was looking for in the first place.
Iā€™m not saying td online is bad, instead I think it doesnā€™t solve the problem of people not able to use a dd because nobody teach them how to, and no documentation can be found online - especially for the new sc2 filters and parameters, except for some random videos on yt.

6 Likes

Thanks for the insight, mate :slightly_smiling_face:

I was really enthusiastic when this was first announced and had envisioned going online to find profiles that would have been tuned and endorsed after taking input from real world drivers. I donā€™t know if that ever came to fruition.

For example, two years ago, I remember seeing a video on the Simucube channel featuring Andreas Bakkerud and was wondering if profiles from skilled professionals like himself and other pros ever made it onto this new platform. It sounds like they may not have.

1 Like

No surprise really, imagine all these improved filters we could have had instead. :grinning:

3 Likes

ā€¦ and maybe even have the ability to adjust the FFB in game. I have never considered this project very important. The problems that are then encountered do not lead to trust. It has been almost a year since this project started. Meanwhile, the competition is catching up.

2 Likes

Meanwhile i keep discovering new advantages editing profile.ini in old TD

SFR can be adjusted to the hundredth

are you editing a simple mode profile?

Nope, just ā€œexport this profileā€ then edit .ini file and you can finetune:

Servo Damping/Friction/Inertia from 0 to 1000, 1000=100% in TD

Static Force Reduction from 0 to ā€œunknownā€, 100=1% in TD

Save and ā€œImportā€

4 Likes

Nice find actually the original SC1 Firmware had this ability but they removed it with true drive for ā€œeaseā€ granted because. 0 - 100% in true drive is actually only 1/10th the full capability of the filters, which was done legitimately because NO ONE and I really Mean No One ever really went above 10% on the full filters as the wheels would become unstable at times. I really sort of couldnā€™t understand not allowing the %ā€¦ I used 3.25% Damping in my SC1 which in the SCI Configuration it ended up being 32.5% but if of course I changed it I had to choose 32 or 33ā€¦

So you have found the workaround for thisā€¦ Never quite understood what the benefit of removing it was given the system was capable of itā€¦

Granted I might say that MOST people will not really be able to feel the difference of .01% of actual damping or inertia would do there are some cases where it does just take that little edge off thingsā€¦

To @SuperMonaco_GP If you are part of iRacing I do have a SimuCUBE set-up guide on there which pretty well explains what most everything does. It was written for the SC1 so it is lacking Latency, Skew, and Constant Force (written before that was released for the SC1)

https://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/3573261.page

2 Likes

Yeah, that fine tuning was lost when we readjusted the UI sliders. The rationale is that

1. having that fine detail adjustement available for tuning does not really produce any more detailed or better force feedback experience. The difference is so small between the values, that most people wouldnā€™t be able to feel the difference, especially between the driving sessions

and

1. we got numerous feedbacks from simulator lounge operators and our resellers, that got direct feedback from their customers and potential customers, that having such fine tuning level is an antifeature - it makes it seem that the device must be tuned in that precision to get good FFB experience, which is simply not due. This also makes people to try to find optimal settings where there are negligible gains available in such setting steps - or in fact negative gains due to iterative process and frustration and lost enjoyable and actually productive driving time on track.

These are of course all to keep in balance the available setting permutations- we did add a few filters at Simucube 2 release, and plan to add still many more while not making the device more complicated to use.

1 Like

Did you see my True drive profile name?

Porsche V91 - profile for iracing porsche Cup version 91 and keep diggin on fine tuning your marvelous servo to my wheel, im happy with that and to be able to do it, not like other brands.

But dont worry, all my flightsim and simracing time is well enjoyed, now im in search of the (my) perfect feeling, and not too far in time other brands will give me that ā€œease of playā€ what your team is now planning

EDIT:
I want to add that of those 90 profiles I could have saved the time of 90% of them if it were possible to adjust the decimals in TD

I got it from simracingbay but I do live in the U.S.
I just sent a calibration file over to Mika a few days ago not sure if it helped or not but hereā€™s to hoping.

Glad to know Iā€™m not alone. Just joined a fb group for simucube 2 owners going to see if anyone else there has any input or suggestions

We are working on this issue - one possibility is that we revert more changes on the servo drive side of things for the next version to see if it really is sensitive to the US 110 V voltages in some strange way. It really shouldnā€™tā€¦

1 Like

Awesome thanks for letting us know.
Iā€™ll keep an eye on this forum for updates.
Have a great day

some WIP screenshots

so, will it still be possible to create, import/export and edit cached profiles into classic mode? or it will be abandoned as a whole?

Classic mode will be removed completely, we will get huge benefits from the firmware side (simplification and memory usage).

Not sure I like the sound of this. I donā€™t want any online access, and it sounds like will be losing capabilities that exist today, unless I go online.

5 Likes

Online based profiles (True Drive Paddock) will be the place to store settings. We implemented the local backup mode based on previous feedback. Local profiles mode uses locally cached profiles in case there are some troubles with online access, metered connections, or when the online is just not accessible.