Simucube 2 True Drive development roadmap

But what happens if it is not better in every way on first release? And we cant downgrade firmware to previous version? That makes it a very risky upgrade.

I know that once I find settings l like, I dont really want anyone to change them for me. Sure I’d like to try the new recon filter. But in case it is not everything it is promised, I’d like to go back to what I am used to and keep enjoying the product.

My point is, I get your logic and in a perfect world that works great. But we are not in a perfect world and almost no new release is bug free. And with no FW downgrading, that is a bit scary.

Also I a side note, I have tested the Simple mode and for me it is good enough and I am now a happy user of it :smiley:

Mika why not come up with your new version as a beta and let many driver’s test it?
Then listen to your users?

Then when MANY people are happy with the Beta make that the official release.

That is the plan, but in the end, having both available for prolonged period cannot be sustained.

Not sure why it should matter how long both are available unless, users can still not revert to previous version.

If you stopped work on the current 2020 version this minute and then started working on your latest greatest minimal easiest to use version what difference does it make?
Just give people the choice to continue what they are using now?

1 Like

RE Filter Updates, IF it is a more advanced filter but still allows choices that would mimic but better implement the reconstruction filter then that would be progress as the original filter would be essentially outdated… But getting rid of stuff that helps drivers get the feel they want out of the wheel is a disastrous road to take if the only reason is that most people don’t use it… Most people get really pissy if they update something and it drastically alters the way they are feeling things to be… Just look at the complaints iRacing Gets every time they change a tire model and it alters the way the car feels… The Difference in these examples though is that in real life that happens when a organization mandates different tires but in this case people are spending a lot of money on a wheelbase and they DON’T expect or WANT to lose features they use to tune even if they are the only ones… Updating is fine eliminating is BAD… and to make things better when updating say you have a 5 level Recon rather than 10, let people know which filter level is best to adjust to i.e Old recon 1 = New 1, Old Recon 4-5 = New 2, ect… Information is all that is required. but to eliminate feature just because Data says they are unused or least used is not the greatest of roads to take… Data can be HIGHLY misleading when not in context.

3 Likes

To continue above I am talking things like the TBW filter… In iRacing people use that to fine tune the bumps and shocks through the wheel, Oval racers will set it as low as 680Hz to get less noise through the wheel so they can feel like they are being more precise with their inputs where Road Racers will run Unlimited or very high Hz to get all the frequencies coming through even after filter interpretation… Some people use irFFB which also alters where this setting can and should be… How will you if you decide to get rid of it accommodate for all of these differences JUST in a single Game… You can’t without having it adjustable… This also to a far lesser degree goes for the other things in question EXCEPT for the DI effect… You will NEVER be able to decide for certain how much gain someone will want on their DI effects from a title and if you guess wrong (which is what it would be, a guess) it can be disastrous. Granted you might not need sliders for every effect on the Main Interface page but nothing says you can’t do a sub menu for DI effects and default to 100 (or whatever your research says the best settings are for that game) but in that dialog allow people to change them. No one has said you shouldn’t make things that are there better, just that things are used and NOT to get rid of them. No one has really said anything about not being able to improve what is there.

6 Likes

Hello,

I think people have fear to loose the identity and prerogative of this platform.

A simple example

Linux users :
I’m the boss… I can do everything I want …

Yes but this is toooo much… really to much , overengineered, overcomplicated, not supported etc … but yes … if you are Linus torwalds you can make what you want .

MacOS
Just works …

Yes… but is limited by what Apple want … good but not for everyone… but yes , is simple … very simples … at the point that ask yourself ( why ??? )

Windows
Is a good balance…

You can make what you want and is well supported and the major technology is developer for windows .

Simucube in general is an Advanced version of Windows.

People have fear that Simucube become like the macOS and have a loose of prerogative and peculiarities.

People don’t care what works and what not … people ( want ) things …

Just implement a startup page in true drive and let the user to choose the new version or the old one .
Write a warning message that inform users that the old version is deprecated and no further development is Planned.

when someonw likes the lag of old recon, why not put a checkbox to choose recon 1 or 2 (one negates the other) then freeze development of recon 1 and let it be.

then yiu have just another checkbox but everyone is pleased.

Father: Good morning Doctor, my son doesn’t know how to walk, what can I do?
Doc: If the Child can’t walk we May need to cut his legs
Father: but… Is a 6 months old baby?
Mad Doc: Life will be easier! Be happy!

1 Like

If checkbox works like the New one (allow mouse scroll) its better to not have one because is a one time per start click, it doesnt save on profile…

EDIT: I was wrong, I have tried again and it is saved
EDIT 2: Reverting back to TD 1.0.10 sw when im in fine tuning mood, checkbox dont save selection

So the father was really stupid to take a 6month old baby to the doctor for not walking

Yeah, really stupid people in this World, belive me

LOL not sure that analogy works for me as I am an avid Mac OSX user and despise Windows and well really haven’t ever liked base unix/linux because it isn’t fluid… the thing is it is not actually about becoming Apple/Mac Like as if you have been a mac user you would know that even though things appear simplified they are not quite as simple as first glance… Virtually all functionality and advance use options are there they just don’t put them right in everyones lap… Which would be something akin to Granite having an advanced user interface… Granted with apple they have had Years and Years of advanced interface design and even have a HUGE GUI Guidebook so they know how to migrate and simplify complex features so that they can be used by everyone…

So for me it isn’t even close to a matter of it being more Apple like, I would actually love that in some ways… But it is a matter of simplifying it in the right manner to allow for advanced control while keeping it easier for all and just getting rid of features that allow for meaningful adjustment to some is not the way to do it especially in light of the competition and why the SimuCUBE in general became the top DOG.

1 Like

Hello,

Yes , obviously macOS ( if you are a very advanced user ) that is capable to use the terminal and know what you do, is powerful as any Linux/unix OS. macOS is based on unix/Linux. I have iMac’s and MacBook’s, iPad’s … because in what is designer for is unbeatable and extremely well optimized .
But for example metal API in macOS/iOS is not DirectX API like in Windows …

Metal works with the hardware at very low level ( to the Metal ) thanks to real-time kernel on macOS. But … you can see Crisys running on macOS ?.

DirectX in Windows is not able to work at this very low level with the driver … but how many games is available on Windows despite the non real-time kernel ?. .

macOS is the top and most safe on the paper but not the right choice for 80% of the context… especially for gaming.

Imagine Windows become exactly what macOS is now with Windows 11…
probably people are forced to migrate to Ubuntu and Microsoft have a huge loss.

This is the same situation. Someone can produce a new servos that is NOT as good as sc2 but is ( full ) of parameters that is not the top… but works.

When a platform loose identity , prerogatives , peculiarities… can be a huge problem.

Simucube is for ( hardcore users ). from day one … it’s the nature of this platform… because settings , because flexibility … because placebo effect … etc

Make it like Fanatec ( or less ) I think is not what people wan from this kind of platform.

If people want simple things have to use other solutions.

I perfectly understand the new direction to exclude or simplify filters etc but I think that the best is to redesign the simple UI and leave all the actual settings untouched in the advanced tab with a simple ON/off switch…

Recon v1 ON/OFF ( ON recon 2 greyed out )
settings

Recon v2 ON/OFF ( on recon 1 greyed out )
settings

Custom bumbstop ON/OFF
settings

( WARNING : can cause issues on axis detection )

TBW ON/OFF
settings
WARNING : above 10000 this settings don’t have any effect because sim software)

Etc.

All this simplicity is good for sc2 SPORT … even for PRO… but the ULTIMATE ?

About TBWlimit, Thats one Filter that people dont use but is very helpful!

Lowering TorqueBandwhith is like compressing the signal, sometimes I dont want 3 full rotations of the wheel when running over bumps but with TBW I can reduce that torque and force the servo to translate that force to 180-90º rotations. It can compress the forces at the center too

LOL didn’t quite mean it like that But I am thinking the same way you are as I wasn’t getting into the better or not better on MacOS vs oct… but the fact that they know how to hide things to those not in the know without ACTUALLY getting rid of them. Which is not what seems to be happening here…from how it is being described. IE well get rid of this because no one uses it (yet there are probably a lot that do use it).

So I totally agree with what you are saying there… I Do however think that they Granite should not shy from updating filters to a better usage as that is progress… But in doing so with a platform like this if there is less option to it they need to tell people the correlation so that they CAN find a setting close to what they had… Or of course they can run things concurrent for a while to allow adoption with on off switches…

I really though think that if a good tooltip or explanation of the filters were made they would find more people using them to fine tune their settings…

1 Like

That isn’t exactly what it does… The TBW is a low pass filter which means that it only will allow signals of a frequency below the threshold through to the drive system… When set lower this eliminates the faster frequency signal which usually contains things like road texture, curb hop, tire vibration, engine vibration ect… but still allows for the slower larger signals to pass… this can significantly smooth the feel of the wheel on especially bumpy tracks… So it’s not really compressing any forces it’s just eliminating the things that may cause the force to be more erratic. what I have found at least for iRacing Oval racers like a very dead wheel with little to no extraneous information and the low TBW settings work well for this as they get the BRUNT of the information but don’t lose the meat of the force… However road guys seem to like information fast and Frantic in some circumstances with that higher TBW is best. Personally I have found that Opn wheel cars with spiky high speed feedback FEEL much nicer when the TBW is Ultra high (unlimited) as when the wheel doesn’t allow those spikes to actually materialize it feels like something is just MISSING and the steering becomes vague and imprecise. The other thing with TBW but it is something that could be done automatically is there are some games out there that send high frequency nothingness and it REALLY messes stuff up and those games to even work right with the wheel must have a really low TBW set…I don’t know for sure what is going on there but they become just completely un-drivable.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your info, my thoughs were created by feelings.
On Richard Burns Rally I need TBW as low as 220hz, if not the wheel only wants to kill me on every jump, dip or tire off track, turning the steering wheel lock to lock at full force. With 220hz or less, those bumps are less harsh and only force my arms to rotate 90-180º

Same thing on some iRacing cars like the FRenault 3.5, both Lotus Type, and some more.

Im OK in All NTM7 cars with TBW at 2200hz, really

Who followed my first approach with the sc2 in the past, knows that i’m not the happiest with the actual recon filter, because it flattens the details out of the ffb. I try every time to keep this filter as low as possible ( sometimes even 1 is too high ) and to soften the edges with the slew rate limiter.

These servos are able to reproduce every single bit from the ffb. Unfortunately, the current ffb are too rough for these servos. It’s up to you to program the perfect filter, which gives a natural result without losing details or introduce lags.

From me you have the permission and support to work on this :+1:

1 Like

Agree with every single point. Easier and smarter TD, less awkward/bizarre settings from inexperienced users generating bad reputation and wasted support efforts.