Simucube 2 Sport vs Pro FFB Quality

Now you are getting tricky!
Very good explanation and easy math!! :slight_smile:

My cockpit/ chassis is done. Now I have to get the new PC built and all of the monitors and electronics hooked up.

Again I really appreciate the length you go to to try and help!

Reg. Ice my issue is that I don’t want to run at full TD force, since ice does not let me limit it better. I wish true drive did. I also don’t want to lower TD to less than 100%, bc my perception is that it does lose quality very clearly at low force levels.
So:
"
While it is possible that reduction in Amperage to the drive system could result in some reduction in linearity it is fairly unlikely.
".
To me, as I say, it clearly feels so.

Thanks for the interesting information reg. choices made! Very nice!

It does not make me change my thinking that:

1. Gamma adjustment should be for all, not an ultimate exclusive.
  2. Input signal should be possible to scale as well, for advanced users.

Thanks again!

You guys are right in that we are balancing on making the software not too confusing to use while offering just enough adjustments. The ongoing rewrite of the profile management system gives us some options to make the Sport and Pro still very easy to use while maybe adding some tuning features to them.

If there was something really, really easy to use on the Ultimate that would be well-used (popular) in Ultimate and would be obvious to implement to all device models, then we would for sure implement it to Pro and Sport as well.

So far, we do not have evidence of majority of Ultimate users actively using the gamma filter. But a few people have used it. Ultimate is targeted to the most discerning users and professional environments where the last adjustments counts, and as the filter is not turning out to be popular or revolutionary in Ultimate, it would not be such in Sport or Pro either.

3 Likes

Hey Mika, thanks for pitching in,

Why do you want to limit users that don’t need the power of the ultimate, but do need some specific effects?
I would argue most Sim racers understand a gamma effect very well, so it’s not bc it would cause too much confusion.

If you still want to protect the users from themselves, then maybe let the ones that would rather be free of that protection unlock the features? Since you already do that with simple/advanced, then why not have those features available under advanced for all of us?

The input signal scale would be of higher priority to me personally. Still I don’t believe the ultimate exclusive features bring a dime to any bottom line, hinders any user’s use or benefits any ultimate user to have for himself.

I have to add for the complete picture that these are my only gripes. Since they are so minor of nature to change, but important to some of us, I don’t understand why let them persist for anybody. No matter how many(few).

Thanks again

Ultimately (no pun intended) its just market segment placement.

Every software and even hardware (automobile, flat panel TV, mobile phone) manufacturers do such things. Its a very common way to do business.

2 Likes

Hehe,

Yes, I understand that, but it makes the future path less transparent & specifically the gamma filter I would put in the “very normal” category, well understood by all. Not a super detailed nuance effect.

The input scale is, imho, a missing feature, since it seems to cripple the output quality not to have it when lowering the output force. Albeit for advanced users(so also in the advanced part of the UI only).

I think the SC2’s are still aimed at a somewhat limited group & would understand some of the arguments better for low cost wheel bases/mass market, but still would not like it. Also “pro” does not indicate to me that a thing like gamma effect is excluded(or any of the others, for that matter).

Thanks again!

I do not recommend Fanatec to anyone on the planet.
I was a DD2 user.
They are totally at a loss for software and firmware, facing serious problems with broken firmware, damaging new (unused) equipment and getting back to RMA.
I got tired of being under pressure using equipment that can stop working at any time.
I sold all my Fanatec equipment and already bought my Simucube 2 Ultimate.
Do not buy Fanatec, you will regret it.

1 Like

Hey ossmindo,

Sorry to hear that,
then what is good? Or maybe I just have to step out & wait for a year more for something else.

I regret the SC2 for other reasons as mentioned above. Mostly the marketing strategy, which in itself is making me want away. I see no reason to have to buy an even bigger metal piece & get 30+nm that I don’t need, just to get a few small filters/effects, no matter how important these might be to me.

So I kind of feel trapped right now. Had I known these things up front I would never have bought in to SC2. I now am spending time that I really don’t have on this.

Thanks for adding your experience, I have begun my search 8)

only thing I can say is, if you are waiting for a DD that works well and gives you great ffb with pcars2, you might as well settle down and wait untill the end of times, custom ffb or not. it just wasn’t meant to be played with a dd.
you really can’t blame Granite if that’s the problem.

2 Likes

hehe,

I don’t agree to that as I wrote you yesterday(about PC2).
But I am not interested in only pc2, so no worries :slightly_smiling_face:

I am not blaming anybody but myself, btw., I could have done my homework, and have realized that granite decided that only Ultimate users would want the gamma filter, for example. I would have not bought an SC2 then. Also the marketing makes it so if the input filter is ever added, that might be only for Ultimate 2, in which case I would not have gotten it for the Ultimate even… It’s just endless upsell with no feeling of solidarity that I have absolutely zero interest in joining or supporting.

From my perspective no single sim currently provides good ffb out of the box, aside from rf2, which even only feels ok if filters are used.
So it is understood that the filters/effects we add to the sims can help us make the ffb feel better, but not perfect, which is Utopia anyways.

Adding: I do appreciate the time & effort going in to software development & would not mind there being a slight price tag on going to full software package, fwiw.

1 Like

Doesn’t Fanatec limit DD1 torque output on otherwise identical hardware wise models.
Isn’t that even worse marketing strategy?
Grass is always greener on the others side, before you get there.

I’m not sure anything is greener. Haven’t decided on where to go yet, I might just go away for a while instead if I don’t find anything.

& No, there is nothing hiding in the DD1/DD2 force limiting by software strategy, since it’s VERY obvious that you pay for the force difference, being it by hardware or software. Same between the SC2 models. I wouldn’t mind if it was software to control the force that was the diff. I would not have been surprised by it.

Also I would be ok with the decision here, had it not been a normal thing like the gamma filter. I just wouldn’t even know it was the boosting of low forces effect, as the word “gamma” would not tell me that in any clear way.

I did not know or anticipate that such a standard feature would be held from a “pro” item.

Now I don’t have that very standard feature. Also in the event the input scale is ever added, I wouldn’t know if that would benefit us all, only Ultimates or only some coming Ultimate 2’s, potentially.

I don’t like “clever” marketing like that. As a costumer, I would rather feel included and taken care of, than having to look out.

I will happily pay for software, reasonably. But I don’t need a double sized metal brick pushed down my throat in the process.

This is no bashing of the hardware itself or the software itself.

It simply was a statement of regret & the reason why I have. It can be taken by granite or anybody however they want & that is all.

Sort of… while the DD1 has the Same Servo (because they couldn’t get their lower model to perform as they intended) the actual DRIVE system is lower in the DD1 so it isn’t an artificial lowering of the torque but yes the Servo in the DD1 is not being run to near its capacity. this is a little different than software exclusion but of course if someone doesn’t know that the hardware is actually different then it could be assumed that there is a magic key in the Fanatec firmware to open full power mode… (there isn’t)