Simucube 2 Discussion Thread

It is meant as a backup for those crazy people that would use the SQR with stronger than specified forces. In nominal case, the torque is handled perfectly via the SQR design, but if there is a strong force in line with the axis of the ball plungers, and the driver uses both hands to apply a force to that direction, that force can be greater than the force of the ball plunger springs, causing the SQR wedge to move slightly. It is for this kind of use case the bolt is to be used for. But, not even the crazy tester from down under has reported to see this kind of phenomena.

1 Like

I immediately thought of the crazy one from down under when you said crazy people :):grin:

3 Likes

So the only way to get rid of the locking pin is to unbolt SC2 QR from hub and use Martin Ascher adapter?
New v2 wheel side QR mount does not have holes matching hub 3 bolt pattern by any chance?

Me too ā€¦hahaā€¦

But yes, under normal operation, I have not seen any issues with the QR system.

For those interested: I have also been testing HRS Xero-play QR. It comes with a suitable flange that allows removal of the wedge of the SC2 QR, allowing bolting the Xero-play directly to the hub on the SC2.

It makes for a much cleaner solution, if you wish to use a different QR, than bolting 2 different QRā€™s together. I think those of you that have a lot of Q1R units, you will need to speak to a Holger to make a suitable servo-side plate then.

But then again, it will be cleaner to just get additional wheel-side plates from GD for the SC2 and stay with the SC2 so,union, it is very clean, minimalist and functional. Plus super-easy to use.

SQR is a nice robust QR but a bit bulky on a wheel side and not really better than Buchfink Q1R esp for those who invested into that system already, I see why Barry Rowland and others still prefer it over SQR.

Too bad Ascher adapter is out of stock everywhere, if anybody knows where you can snatch one, please pm me.

Thanks

How much time did you actually drive the new SC2 QR?

I do not have my pro yet. Hopefully soon.
Not sure what route to go with QR yet.
Fortunately I still have some Q1R stuff for myself.

It looks like the total length of the SC2 QR is much longer than we had with SC1?

I did a pretty hefty stint testing it out, never had issues. Only reason I went with Xero-play was because I am swapping between different systems, like the Ult, Pro, Bogeyman, and Mige/Lenze setups, as I am constantly testing and evaluating ffb stuff.

But if I had adapters and servo-side GD QR for all wheels, no issue to use that.

My Holger QR1ā€™s are lying in my drawer, under high-torque, I have some play on mine, and I have about 4 or 5. They all do the same. So they made way for the better (imho) HRS Xero-play. Plus, the HRS one just looks so much better.

1 Like

Yeah some of the Holgers the material thickness was a little different so it required adjustment every time.

Brettoā€™s new ones look AWESOME, but I am pretty poor these days.
Canā€™t afford them

Love the Xero QR system, so easy to use and zero play.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I have succeeded in breaking a servo-side once. Tightened it to a good level, then mid-race, running a dw12 at 38nm torque on Bogeyman, the retainer mechanism bolt snapped, I almost tore myself a new arse.

It was scary when the clamp-bolt just let go, with all that torque applied, I was all over my rig. Gawd. Not fun.

Holger was great in providing service and spares, plus extras, very happyā€¦but when Xero-play came along, I knew this was the one for me. No play at all after many months of abuse, I own 3 servo-sides and 5 wheel-sides, as tight as day 1.

Happy there is another sturdy QR out there :slight_smile:

Like said, if it wasnā€™t for the fact that I am testing different systems all the time, the SC2 QR will be more than good enough.

1 Like

Wow Beano, that doesnā€™t sound like fun at all. Hope nothing was damaged or hurt.
If you rated QRs you used, which order would you put them?

Hi Andrew, ha, just a few bruises and dents, nothing that I couldnā€™t buff out :wink: But in all seriousness, had a pretty tender right-side rotator-cuff for a couple weeks, the shock-load was pretty bad. But I survived.

After that episode, I opted to run fixed mechanical connection, no QR, until the SC2 came along. Thatā€™s when I bought my first HRS Xero-play QR, which went onto Bogeyman. I have since fitted them to all my Servos.

I would rate my favourite the HRS Xero-play, then the SC2 SQR, then the Holger QR1ā€¦and nothing else close to these 3, tbhā€¦but like said, if you only ever use the SC2 servo, the standard SQR fitted will serve you well. Itā€™s a very good, effective and clean design.

If I did have access to a few extra servo-side SQRā€™s, I would have had no qualms running them on Bogeyman. Might actually retrofit one to test, as I can drive that servo to almost 40nm. But this would be exceeding the design-specs, but it will anyway be good info, I suspect it will survive without to much hassleā€¦

1 Like

I have trouble running my SC2 Pro at the full 25Nm, I canā€™t fathom what 40Nm feels like. I guess I need to hit the gym more often :joy:! What concerns me the most is getting hit by another car or hitting a wall. It feels like your arms will get ripped off when you get a sudden jolt of 25Nm. I can only imagine 40Nm!

Itā€™s tough getting hit by others, or hitting walls. Makes me a more spatially-aware driver thoughā€¦ :smile:

1 Like

You can use the Martin Ascher adapter plate to bolt the Q1R directly to the wheel side.

I guess you have to be more spatially-aware when your wrists are literally make or break :joy: I just donā€™t trust other knucklehead drivers though. Iā€™ll start bumping up the FFB as I get more and more experience though.

Yes, Barry explained it all in details in his video.

The problem is to find one in stock.

On sudden impact FFB spikes, should torque slew rate filter help with that? Any other way preventing that besides just lowering motor amperage?

Yes, slew rate and recon filter both help.

Perhaps not recon, it can smooth grainy signal but will not remove big spikes. At least that was my understanding.

1 Like

Recon may overshoot some force, calculations ahead you know, so the spikes will be smoothed but ramped up.

Best way to get rid of those spikes is clipping that forces

1 Like