Simucube 2 Discussion Thread

Statement

Let me just explain what happened here. When I bought Simucube 2, I thought I could expect a finished product. And because the competition is so strong in marketing, I thought Simucube as a new company, can not afford any mistakes and it will certainly bring the best DD to market. After a long waiting time, I finally got it in my hands and connected to my new rig. I expected that you can just connect it and everything works fine after the installation. I didn’t know that you have to be a DD expert to be able to use it.

When i started it the first time, i was totally hyped and started one of my favorite games, Raceroom. The first feeling after a few meters was that it sounds metallic and feels so grainy and that was the real disappointment. So I immediately sought help here and asked if that was normal. This was answered with a NO, without a logical explanation. That’s why I immediately thought it was broken. I could not understand the thing with the recon filter, because if I have the possibility to turn off a filter, how can it be wrong if I do that? So, I was looking for a way to leave everything as unfiltered as possible, because it is a DIRECT DRIVE and Direct means witout any Filter to me. Then came the matter of degreasing the motor shaft, arg…

The disappointment got bigger. I wondered why everyone has always described the DD as smooth and detailed, if it makes such noises with me. I thought there must be something wrong with my servo. It really sounds like hardware broken, although it obviously is not.

Apparently it is, as i’ve learned after a few days by a friend, normal that it sounds exactly like this without a filter.

I wonder, why is not something like that mentioned? Why did i never heard about these noises? It can’t be that nobody says anything and i’m the only one who happens something like that. It is clearly missing information here! The manual was not even available at the start!

I left a lot of frustration here and sometimes here was said too much unnecessary, even from me. I apologize for that.

Today I finally found my settings, and yes, with filter 1 and UNLIMITED! Therefore, my thanks go to all those who have taken care of my issue.

I hope, that what I have experienced here, no one has to live and i’m sure that GD is very anxious to make the necessary measures to make the entry to new customers as easy as possible in the future.

Take care of yourself and live well!

Kind regards

Nicsos123

6 Likes

You should do your research before buying any product.

Why didn’t you send it back right there? Why wait for like 2 weeks?
Furthermore, Granite Devices doesn’t sell you anything. Your reseller did. You have to discuss any returns with them.

You can’t use any wheel without filter. Not even belt driven wheels. Fanatec is simply hiding it from you. They give you a setting to tweak how strong it is (you can’t turn it off completely): FEI. Look it up in the manual.

Though, I have to strongly agree with you that communication could’ve been improved. On both sides.

All seems a tad over dramatic. I guess I’m lucky that I only use iRacing and will therefore use Beano’s settings as a base once my SC2 arrives but if you’ve found settings that now work for you Nicsos then surely it’s time to get driving and enjoy yourself!

When the Fanatec DD’s launched there were plenty of new DD users who struggled with settings and voiced their disappointment on the iRacing forum. There’s a learning curve with this kind of highly tuneable tech but the good news is once you’ve found a setting you love then you’ll probably leave things alone. That was the case for my Accuforce, Lenze too.

If GD or the Community here can come up with some good baselines for the various sims then that will obviously help new users going forward.

1 Like

FFB on direct drive wheels is harsh. A thing I had to learn when I first got mine. However, well worth the time tweaking and playing with the settings to get it dialed in to how you like it.

I struggled with ACC for a really long time but once i got it sorted. Wow!

Waiting for my pro which is on order.

There’s no reason for FFB to be harsh with Direct Drive. Some people favour a more active (perhaps harsh) feel but I’ve always preferred a smoother more dampened feel. I’ll be looking to set up my Ultimate to feel smooth like my SS2 but hopefully with the benefit of lower latency :raised_hands:t2:

3 Likes

It is hard to describe the feeling with no filtering. Definately doesn’t feel realistic to me, e.g. when going over bumps, the wheel just vibrates and makes weird grinding type noises. It would be like driving on the alloy rims i would say with no dampening.

A dampened wheel it feels like a more rubber feel …

I don’t know if that makes sense.

Does anyone know if I purchase a Martin Ascher F1 wheel will I need to buy their adapter as well or does the SC2 have something as part of the package that will allow me to attach the SQR to the Martin Ascher F1 rim?

Thanks!

We certainly aim to deliver best possible direct drive force feedback experience to the drivers, that is what we strive for.

We have not previously offered as refined product as this to the end-users whether they are professional racing drivers or esport professionals or consumers that strive to experience high-end simulator as a hobby and there is certainly much more work to be done in this approach than offering components that can be used for creating state of the art direct drive ffb system. Your above written expectation is certainly valuable information in the sense that where and which areas to improve in the future for the new type of customers we get with this product line as it is actually much more geared toward new type of customers that expect easier user experience as it is more refined product for the purpose which it is made for.

I can understand your frustration when no clear answers are given. If it helps to understand, the product is new to many, the amount of drivers is currently small, much smaller than that of the amounts for SC1 and the product is also new to the distributors. Therefore getting help for issues or guestions is by the previously mentioned numbers less likely for now, but the community and distributors will soon gain the experience very similar to the knowledge the community and distributors have with SC1 generation products because we ramp up the production during summer 2019 and all stake holders learn more of the product. The demand currently for the product is quite a mountain of work to satisfy the demand in the short run, but no issue in the long run.

The previous is not to say that we could not have done better.

Direct signal path and direct drive are not the same. Direct drive means that the motor drives directly the shaft (where the steering wheel is attached) and that there is no gears or belt drive system between the motor and the steering wheel. The filters are there so that the signal that comes from the simulator can be filtered to a degree so that the digital force feedback commands can feel more natural. In some simulators the feedback is good enough where there is less of a need for filtering whereas in some other simulators the feel is very grainy without filtering. Especially if some setting are set not so ideally to support direct drive system is general.

Without having the unit here and having it completely disassembled here and inspected, we cannot precisely answer that is your unit in all aspects within specifications. If an imperfection of a part inside would be found, it would be human error in manufacturing and would need to be fixed by us for sure. Just a reminder for curious DIY people who might be interested to see what’s inside the product, disassembling the unit & motor elsewhere voids warranty and requires in anycase that the unit is sent back to us for calibration & to be run through production tester to function as designed. This it said so that people won’t get disappointed if they disassemble the product and found it to work weirdly or not at all after that.

Information regarding some noises in some circumstances might be information that needs or might be good to add to the user manual. We will consider this.

I am glad to hear that. If you encounter any further issues, please free to ask. However warranty process and typical product support works via the distributor, not directly with us as it is the division of work set between the distributor and us.

It is no secret, in certain aspects, the first production batch of the new product line has been learning process for us, to our distributors and also for the end-users. We are firmly committed to further improve the product. Offer improved QR solution to the customers who experienced issues with the revision 1, further improve the firmware and further improve the documentation and awareness of working settings for most famous simulator titles to ensure the force feedback experience the drivers strive for.

10 Likes

For both the F28-SC and the upcoming F64-USB you need the SQR adapter as mentioned in the description.

@Mika Are there any updates on the status of batch 2?

I’m not in charge of any production issues. Contact your reseller for availibility information - I know our sales people are keeping them updated as soon as we know the dates in high enough confidence.

Gotcha. Will do, thanks!

Slightly deceptive sending Barry from SRG the premium E-Stop with the Simucube 2 Pro (which will only be included with the SC2 Ultimate), don’t you think?

4 Likes

well, most of people already know how the basic E-stop button works, and now there is a good review of the premium too.

Yes, it’s nice to have a look at. However, it wasn’t mentioned that it’s not actually included (despite Barry saying so) and that you can’t buy it separately as of right now.

whatever I noticed, can we remove the yellow sticker? I hope to get my base back soon.

Stefan

Hello everybody, first of all I thank @Tommi for his detailed feedback on my statement.

I hope that we can solve problems in peace in the future without offending or treating each other inferior.

I will post here again 2 videos, which represent the same noise. Once in the desktop and once ingame.

My question is, if someone is able to test the same settings and tell me if he hears the same noise. Of course only on desktop and with the friction like on my movie, because ingame it is exactly the same noise while vibrations.

desktop

ingame (lags are becouse of 144fps ingame and 60fps recording

ingame the friction is on 0%

@Mika maybe it could help the team to find out where the noise comes from.

Thank you.

2 Likes

We will have a firmware out for you to try on Monday.

1 Like

@Mika

Do you know if the team have had any luck or further progress in recieving and testing out the various pcie extension cables that were spoke about a while back?

Thanks.