Simucube 2 Discussion Thread

Not by any means.

It just that Friday was a super busy day.

1 Like

How much latency does Torque bandwidth limit add?

Torque Bandwidth limit is a low-pass filter. Higher frequency details are lost completely, and lower frequency signal is passed through.

The calculation of this filter is only a few floating point calculations per update cycle so the latency added is in the order of less than one microsecond.

1 Like

Astonishing to see how time is separated from information :joy: you loose a lot of information per this microsecond. In general you will leave this at “unlimited”.
You can look at it like you would use an equaliser. Imagine yourself listening to music and you limit it to 1’000 Hertz. Our range is more or less from 20 to 20’000 Hertz.

Comparison here:

Yep, information loss is the result. Also, if a signal changes very fast, this is a high frequency event in frequency domain. So if the low pass filter is used, only the lower level components of the signal remain. This means that the change on the steering wheel will be less abrupt and could be perceived as delay.

But the filter itself has no delay that could be felt.

Thank you. I wanted clarification after reading this: Torque bandwidth limit - #4 by Mika

Question: I can choose to get a shifter with either connecting to the Simucube 2 DB15 port, or going to an USB port. Is there someone who can tell me what will be the better choice?

Don’t tell me to ask Granite. I did, and they don’t have an opinion on this.

In the long run the USB port is the more future proof option for me. :slight_smile:

I have to make a decision. Can you tell me why you would go with the USB port?
It’s a push pull shifter, so I use it simultaneously with a sequential shifter (USB) in RBR and AC. The one I had was 3d printed and worked surprisingly long. I bought it for 50 bucks.

USB is universal :D.
So when I no longer need it, the chance is higher to sell it again :smiley:

Yes, that is true, good point! But there are almost only, if not only 3d printed push pull shifters. Ascher had one in their product line, Simlab has actually one aswell (but out of stock). So when I get my hands on it I don’t gonna sell it.
Thanks a lot for your time and your input. I totally appreciate it!!

@Mika, was updating FW to 2023.10 and have noticed that in the log, multiple failed attempts to connect in bootloader mode, any reasons for concerns? It looks like it exceeded 15 attempts but then tried again to find one in “normal” mode? :thinking:

Connecting to device…
Attempting to connect to device bootloader for 15 times.
Attempting to connect to device bootloader (try 1)
Unable to open device in bootloader mode
Attempting to connect to device bootloader (try 2)
Attempting to connect to device bootloader (try 3)
Attempting to connect to device bootloader (try 4)
Attempting to connect to device bootloader (try 5)
Attempting to connect to device bootloader (try 6)
Attempting to connect to device bootloader (try 7)
Attempting to connect to device bootloader (try 8)
Attempting to connect to device bootloader (try 9)
Attempting to connect to device bootloader (try 10)
Attempting to connect to device bootloader (try 11)
Attempting to connect to device bootloader (try 12)
Attempting to connect to device bootloader (try 13)
Attempting to connect to device bootloader (try 14)
Attempting to connect to device bootloader (try 15)
Trying to find device in normal mode…
Connected to Simucube 2 Pro
Sending command to start in firmware update mode.
Attempting to connect to device bootloader for 15 times.
Attempting to connect to device bootloader (try 1)
Opened device in bootloader mode
Bootloader information: Version 1.9.0
Hardware ID: 1
Connected to device, clearing flash memory to start update.
Sending data.

Just saw the info about the new software stuff you guys are looking into for the wheels.

I’m really looking forward to how this develops. I’ve probably been one of the most vocal & critical guys around with regards to FFB technology (especially DD wheels) so hopefully this brings a lot of improvements and customisation.

Hopefully we can tune, or at least reduce, the wayyyyyy disproportionately powerful SAT forces relative to other forces associated with DD…but only reduce it in terms of the wheel “auto-centering” from oversteer and not really reducing when driving normally - or at least not reduce when steering lock is increased from the driver. Maybe like a one-way SAT reduction. “One-way” in terms of what the car is doing (rear-slip, no rear-slip) or in terms of input/output (force outputted from the game, force inputted from the user) or… something like that.

A way to adjust dampening (and possibly friction and inertia but at least dampening) in more ways and have dampening be smarter. Currently, dampening is just a “dumb” or “blanket” effect which just dampens/numbs anything and everything. So if you need to add dampening to try to adjust certain forces, certain situations, then everything gets affected. Currently, all FFB from the game to the wheel and all “FFB” from the driver to the wheel (inputs) will have that dampening acting on it, doesn’t matter if it’s adding steering lock, SAT forces returning the wheel to centre, bumps, understeer, or whatever state the car is in, the dampening effects will act on every single bit and byte of FFB information.

At the very least, some sort of dynamic dampening (even if it’s still “dumb” or "semi-dumb) would be nice.

Linearity (AKA “sensitivity”) sliders - at least for overall FFB strength but I can see this possibly also being used for other things like dampening, friction, high-frequency effects, (and even more if telemetry-based effects get implemented). Linearity was in the marketing material for the Simucube 2. It was advertised as being available for the Pro but not the Sport and is why I purchased the more expensive, physically larger, and heavier Pro or else I would have purchased the Sport. It turns out, in the end, only the Ultimate actually got a/some linearity slider/s. I would love it if I could at least lower the overall FFB force linearity in at least a basic curve way - so that the the outright forces aren’t changed but the beginning of the force-curve is much less-aggressive.

Lots of things I have in mind - and think are severely needed to try and make DD wheels behave more natural, more like a passive/reactive system rather than an active one - probably require the FFB settings to be “smart” ie. be “connected” to the game (like telemetry-based FFB settings like the SimXperience Accuforce). I’ve been saying that for many years. I understand that would require a huge effort to correctly implement in all games but I think it could allow for considerably more FFB potential to be tapped from DD wheels that cannot be accessed at the moment.

2 Likes

The updater tries to connect a few times to device that would be already in bootloader mode, just in case that is a real possibility. It give up and then tries sport/pro/ultimate in normal way afterwards.

1 Like

Shouldn’t it be the other way around, to account for “normal” scenarios? I assume “bootloader” mode is the failed previously update.
Not a big deal really, bet no one even noticed that as update succeeds in the end.

If I remember correctly that was always like this. There are always 15 attempts; one can follow the procedure while it’s displayed through the update.

What you wish is , sadly to tell you, the opposite of what Granite is heading to. They consider the present solution as already too complicated and think about reducing filters .

As you can see from the Trello board they thinking about a boost for higher FFB frequencies, which is Fe in Assetto Corsa already available in the Content Manager. The in-game settings even offer variations of it.

I absolutely don’t agree with @Mika that boosting higher FFB frequencies is similar to static force reduction. Boosting higher frequencies is to accentuate or multiply small forces. Whereas static force reduction does nothing on the low forces, but mainly deals with high FFB force in Fe high speed corners with high G forces. It decreases forces that are ± unchanged, and are present for a relative long time.

So one is dealing with low forces (higher frequencies), the other one with high forces (lower frequencies).

One is boosting, which will be most likely dynamic, the other one decreasing and more most likely linear.

wait what??? they want to remove static force reduction? WTF that setting is crucial for any game that has huge differences between low speed cornering and high speed cornering forces like iracing!

irl power steering is pretty constant on cornering forces, unfortunately most sims don’t replicate this well and ramp up unrealistically with high speed too much, only raceroom i have found actually do this well, static force reduction is crucial for games like iracing

1 Like

Static force reduction is an effect that was designed to make it possible to feel the details of the road and tires without having to have large static FFB forces for prolonged times. Especially useful in games where these forces are being calculated into one torque signal, which makes it pretty much all games.

The downside of the effect is that it makes the weight transfer of the car more difficult to interpret correctly. This is the static low frequency component of the force signal that has slight shifts when the car is understeering or oversteering, and larger shifts when the car is either accelerating or braking in a corner.

Now, if we were to take a step back at things, we should eliminate the downside of the effect and add detail boost separately on top of the FFB signal to highlight small details on the road.Then the overall FFB strength would be able to be tuned down while still having the same feel of the tires. But then we would have essentially two effects for the same purpose, and it would make perfect sense to eliminate the first version of it which has downsides.

Now, if you tell a convincing other way of how static force reduction is actually useful and which would not be better with detail boost + lower FFB strength instead, then of course we won’t remove it. But wouldn’t “low speed cornering vs. high speed cornering” FFB strength be better handled with telemetry based effect, so we would then be able to remove static force reduction when we have telemetry based more correct way of doing it?

2 Likes

If you want to couple both you will welding something which no-one asked for. I once posted about exactly this. The FFB tweak for Assetto is already doing this from in-game: boosting low forces while lowering high forces. The acceptance is pretty bad/low. I myself did use it for quite some time. It’s pretty different for every single car. Some work good with it, some not.

How it will be easier for customers when they have 2 settings for this, 1 in TD, 1 in the game?

Why do you have to put this into 1 setting? Because you don’t expect the customer to understand more than 5 sliders?

Why do you add an effect for titles broken from the beginning, and at the same time consider to remove a setting so many say is useful?

While high speed cornering in rally, maybe uphill, I don’t need boosted low forces but a way to have a good overall sensation while fighting the wheel isn’t a total pain.

Foa static force reduction is not bad at all the way it is now. It’s also very simple to understand.

It is general helpful because you can use it for a problem that is present in a lot of titles.

It does a single thing, isn’t a combination of settings.

Why don’t you just get rid of all these dynamic input filters which are used almost nowhere, are not documented and work in mysterious ways? If it is so necessary to simplify things, what about peaking and notch?? I know a single person is dealing with this matter in a serious way, @Purple_Red (hope that is correct).

1 Like