Simtronix SinCos Encoder with Small Mige and SimuCube

Will let you know, heading to China on a Biz trip on Wednesday, if I can get it done by the time I leave (7 day trip), I will take it with and ship it from HKG, should be cheaper?? Let me know address.

My Wife gave me the ā€œwhy is it greyā€ question so 2 min with some engine enamelā€¦

3 Likes

A huge thanks of appreciation to @Drizute,

I managed to find a printer via www.3dhubs.com within 4 miles of home here in the UK, picking it up tomorrow and for a reasonable printing cost of Ā£24 using .1mm print density in black, Which I thought was great.

Iā€™ll post a pic once itā€™s fitted :slight_smile:

To speed up fitting check my fitting instructions, you may have to release your encoder to rotate it a bit.

Top work, Drizute, thank you for making this available to the community. I know how much time it takes to make accurate measurements and translate it into SolidWorks or CAD.

Would you mind sending the STL to me as well, please?

Cheers,
Beano

Love the praise and thanks, appreciate it, it however was not that big a deal, todays cad programs make it fairly easy, getting the hole for the cable right took a little trial and error, the rest was easy.

Only took a day to turn around, thanks @Drizute

The fitting was quite tight, especially around the connector almost if the hole could do with being moved slightly closer to the motor housing, but a gentle file around the one side helped open it up to fit.

On my print there were some imperfections on the inside where the cover sits in the outside spacer ring and these imperfections protruded outwards and it needed a good sanding down on the inside to get it to pop on, (itā€™s very snug) but in the end we got there :slight_smile:

Iā€™m thinking about getting a can of black enamel paint on it at a later date too.

1 Like

Hi.
I installed the simtronix sincos encoder in a small mige with ioni pro HC and simucube and I had an error like Drizute. I have raised the FEV value to 6 rev / s and the fault speed has been corrected.
My question is ā€¦ how does the value of FEV affect driving ?, that is, should I look for a lower value possible without errors or is that okay?
Thank you.

Use google translator ā€¦ apologies.

It is just a limit that will give an overvelocity error if wheel is rotating faster than the speed. In simulator usage, it doesnā€™t really need to be set to anything exactly.

For other use cases for the IONI servo drive, it can be useful to set absolute speed limits for mechanical axises, etc. Remember that IONI is a general purpose, versatile device.

Canā€™t speak for the other prints, mine fit snug and right first time. There is slag on all prints, that needs to cleaned off, mine is a .2 with a .4mm tip. Remember also the lock collar on the encoder can be set at different levels, a small push on the encoder would eliminate the offset on the hole I think.

So is there a link for .stl file?

Hey Everyone thought Iā€™d report back about my new ā€˜Simtronixā€™ Heidenhain ERN480 3.7 million CPR encoder now Iā€™ve used it for the past two days.

Straight off the bat I knew something was different without even loading iRacing, I sat in my rig turning the wheel rim with a silky smooth feel vs the grainy feel of the 40000cpr mige encoder and wondering have if I had fitted the item correctly, it was just so free and smooth. Loaded up Grainty and updated the encoder setting going straight for full resolution 3.7mil ā€˜Ofcourseā€™, I did try the config tool first via the firmware UI but the motor & encoder drop down failed to work or offer choices.

Now with iRacing loaded I go straight to the HPD which I know inside out on a track and fixed conditioned Iā€™d already set a time with ā€˜Testā€™ using the old encoder, quali set loaded driving around thinking mmm, arhhh then while still feeling the changes/differences I dropped my PB by .2 without noticing.

So, whats changedā€¦ For me in a downforce car I feel so much more comstant grip and feel through the turn from first turn in until you complete the turn, before the change I only really had a good feel part way through the turn normally in the of the middle corner. I also feel the rubber so much better which gives a thicker/fuller feel to the rim through itā€™s degrees of rotation until you lose grip.

I only drive 3-4 classes but the car which gives the biggest change so far is the Merc GT3, I really feel the weight of the front end of the car on the springs through the steering once again feeling the thickness in the wheel and feel of the rubber. Around Suzuka I hit the same tenth 5 laps on the bounce I didnā€™t get a chance to drive with the older encoder this week around here but I would be surprised not to beat that time in the same conditions.

All of my profiles have very low filering normally around 0.5% on damping & inertia if any, I also run between 3-4 amps power.

Since ordering I became really worried if I would notice any changes after reading other reviews thinking I could have wasted a good chunk of money, but as youā€™ve read I couldnā€™t be more impressed with the upgrade it feels the same step up as moving from MMos to the new firmware. Iā€™d like to see a Head to Head with the new Mige 2.1mil vs Hedenhain 3.7mil tested by either Beano or Brion Sohn to find out quality differences in build and feel, ofcourse price vs quality will also tip you one way or the other depending on your budget.

I hope my ramblings have helped answer questions in your own minds as to weather or not you should upgrade, my answer of course is YES YES YESā€¦ enjoy!

2 Likes

Iā€™am lostā€¦
How can I know which is the best sincos encoder?
example simracebay has the New SinCos encoder, 2048 sincos lines ā€“ 2,097,152 cpr resolution
German SinCos chip (iC-Haus sincos signal conditioner)
Highest quality and lowest latency effects on SimuCUBE systems

But is is 2097.152 cpr

in the posts above they talked about Simtronixā€™ Heidenhain ERN480 3.7 million CPR encoder
and maybe more encoders on the market

same as price from 60 to 250 dollars
Wich is the best? as for price/performanche ratio

When you look from price/performance point, 2048 line sincos should probably be better.

A Geforce GTX1080FE is more bang for your buck. Though you can go for 1080Ti Extreme O.C. edition if you have the means to do so.
Itā€™s more or less something like this.

Ok, thanks for the clarification MIka
Greetings.

I have ordered one of these 2048 Line SinCos Encoder comes with the back cover too.
So just a straight easy swap :slight_smile:
Getting mine from UK makes it easy as i live there and I brought my servo kit from there also.
Prices do vary but after the quality, Customer service and help i have had with my servo kit i would not buy anywhere else so allot in that respect is down to preference.
The 2048 Line SinCos Encoder comes direct from Midge with the back cover included so no compatibility issues should arise and has been tested by my supplier for a while.
Looking forward to receiving it is seems a must have most worthwhile upgrade and with a noticeable improvement :sunglasses:
Considering it cost me Ā£2500 to change from my T500 to a set of HE Pro Pedals with OSW kit and a nice wheel for it seems very cheep upgrade looking at it that way so jumped in :grin:
So if your in UK/EU i would highly recommend http://www.simtechracing.co.uk/ :slight_smile:

Im not linking the file but if you would like a copy drop me a mail address to send it to.

Iā€™am curieus How the new encoder behaves against the Lenze and Koll Morgen motors they where better but how is the distance now? they will stil be better but how is the gap now?

Bueno? you have the Lenze do you know somebody with the new encoder?

It doesnā€™t affect anything driving wise other than faulting if set to low it could be at 100ā€™s or rev/sec if you wantedā€¦

If set to low of course when the system detects the wheel rotating faster than that fault setting it will trigger and cause a FFB Shutdown. I know that around 1.5 rev/sec you can still drive with it but it will trigger if you run over a curb or hit a bumpā€¦ Took me a little bit to figure out where the fault was coming from when that was occurring.

If you are just looking at Better then the Higher the line count ā€œthe Betterā€ as you will achieve more physical and interpolated points.

However, if you are looking at Value you would be looking at the Mige 2048 line unit as it is the least expensive for the most lines.

After SimTronix is out of their units the Price of finding one will probably increase to about $450.00 - $500.00 as that is the automation shop retail for that Heidenhain Unit. Which of course makes the Mige SinCOS and even better deal.

I donā€™t think anyone has really been able to test a Mige to Heidenhain back to back to see if there are any significant differences between them based on their perceived quality levelsā€¦ One being Chinese Produced and the other being German made.