SimBin Square Wave FFB Cancels All FFB To the Wheel

I tune ffb for old SimBin games and I use a PLR file option to create steering vibrations using Square Waves. When this is selected, no steering ffb at all gets to the wheel (although other types like brake vibe do). When I select Sine Wave the steering ffb is present.

I’m not sure what’s up. Is it the DirectInput Effect Fine Tuning “Square Wave” option? I can’t seem to completely kill it.

Any ideas?

1 Like

Direct Input filters are a hopeless hole for SC2 users…

Dont know on SimBin games, but Square Wave on Wreckfest does nothing.

EDIT:

Simbin don’t use “square wave” but only “sine wave” on directinput settings
And simbin use damping for stationary friction on directinput settings

Here’s the actual GTR2 PLR lines I’m working with:

FFB steer vibe freq mult="1.00000" // Controls frequency of steering vibration. Recommended: 0.5 to 1.0, 0.0 disables steering vibration.
FFB steer vibe zero magnitude="0.00952" // Magnitude of steering vibration at 0mph (reference point).
FFB steer vibe slope="0.00391" // Slope of line defining magnitude as a function of frequency (used with FFB steer vibe zero magnitude).
**FFB steer vibe wave type="0" // Type of wave to use for vibe: 0=Sine, 1=Square, 2=Triangle, 3=Sawtooth up, 4=Sawtooth down.**

Setting “FFB steer vibe wave type=1” (Square) would give me a feeling that approximated a tire travelling over a paved surface.

That worked on an AccuForce but on the SC2P it cancels/freezes/stops all normal steering forces.

Oddly, brake vibration forces still come through the wheel with these settings at the same time the steering vibration should be working but doesn’t:

FFB brake vibe freq mult="1.00000" // Scales actual brake rotational frequency to force feedback vibration frequency.
FFB brake vibe zero magnitude="0.00100" // Magnitude of brake vibration at 0mph (reference point).
FFB brake vibe slope="0.14063" // Slope of line defining magnitude as a function of frequency (used with FFB brake vibe zero magnitude).
FFB brake vibe wave type="0" // Type of wave to use for vibe: 0=Sine, 1=Square, 2=Triangle, 3=Sawtooth up, 4=Sawtooth down.
FFB brake vibe update thresh="0.05000" // Amount of change required to update brake vibe (0.0 to 1.0)

^ This one does actually use Sine Wave normally. Never had a problem with this one.

I’m not even sure it is the DirectInput settings as they seem to have no impact.

I did notice that the Square Wave DirectInput “Active” column was highlighted while GTR2 was active, though.

1 Like

Like I though, we are thankfull that any of them are working as It should…

Even with GIMX device, some effects arent created or not reproduced correctly.Just starting a GIMX profile gives you a DirectInput spring force error

1 Like

What I still don’t understand after all this years is why di effects that aren’t active in TD for a certain game have indeed an effect on the ffb. First example that comes to mind, only because I am playing it these days, are friction and spring for Ams2, but there is plenty of other examples.

In my experience, that issue is the same for all wheels in the market, hence the recomended setting to deactivate Spring/Damper (0% sliders) for some games.

What @shovas and I are claiming is that our SC2s are not capable of doing what any other steering wheel can do with DirectInput filters.

2 Likes

So, I’m new here, one day old owner, are we saying this is a bug or something?

Is it a long standing issue?

I’m surprised there’s some logic that can cut ffb that isn’t configurable.

Likely,
Early days of True Drive:

No more sensible changes on DI effects since then

1 Like

Found some DirectInput issues here and recorded over here:

1 Like