Shared presets on True Drive Paddock are way too strong or am I too weak? 🤣

Hello everyone,

Now that True Drive Paddock is open to everyone, I’ve tried out some of the popular presets.
It seems like many of you are working with a preset where the TD is set to a full 100% and iRacing has the max force set to 60-80%.

After trying it on the Porsche GT3, I have to admit that it’s way too strong for me and wonder if you all really drive that way.
For example, I can barely steer the car because the power is too strong.

So am I missing a crucial setting or are you all really that crazy? :joy:

For the sake of completeness, I ride an Ascher Racing Formula Wheel.
Is there a difference maybe?

1 Like

The Ascher formula wheel is pretty small so you’ll feel quite a bit more force compared to 300mm or 320mm. Just tune down (increase max force in iRacing) until comfortable.

I see pretty large differences on the 911 GT3 R car with different setups, mostly due to caster differences I think.

With 300mm SRB GT3 wheel, I usually run about 40% overall (eg 20Nm in TD and max force 50Nm). Maybe I’m a wimp.

2 Likes

Same here, I’ve had to turn forces way down on a few profiles. I use a SC2Pro

Tbh, I think that a lot has to do with “I must use the torque available”. You must find your own way, like I do. My approach in Truedrive:
No filter, unlimited, no damping Aso, no slew rate limit, ultra low lcy as high as possible. Some static force reduction. From there the overall torque of my sport depends on the simgame and the car. In game general ffb maybe 40, additional ffb to 0. From there: fine-tuning. The presets are so individually that you best keep yours as simple and clean as possible. 100 torque and then 25% dampening plus 50% fine-tuning damping ain’t good for me

3 Likes

You are right. One of the professional drivers replied to my question regarding his profile that the diameter of the wheel makes a HUGE difference.

Is it wheel’s diameter or the weight? We planned to add this as meta information to the profile, but couldn’t come up with simple way which would be easy to understand when there are wheels and custom button boxes around.

Both.

With torque the force (N) you feel depends on the distance from center (m), hence measurement of torque in Nm. 20% less diameter will mean you feel 20% more force.

Weight, or more correctly rotational inertia (kg m^2), will affect how much physical smoothing/filtering the wheel will cause. It’s not just mass though, as mass near center has little effect compared to mass further from center.

Mika, we’ve been saying all along that documenting wheel in use is important for profiles, because a profile that feels good with one wheel could feel very different with another.

3 Likes

I only have a Ascher wheel but based on the information I got the diameter is the main part here that affects it the most.

Weight mostly affects inertia, diameter (lever length) strength.

=D

1 Like

Hope that will help you convert the Torque of your SC2 to your Steeringwheel!

2 Likes

I remember that, but how would a user measure the weight and inertia parameters on the wheel when there are differerent wheel rim setups and button boxes in use? We would preferrably have a dropdown menu with, at most, 10 options for this.

I am no longer quite sure whether the calculation is correct here. Halving the diameter seems more logical to me. Will improve tomorrow.

@Mika I see what you’re saying, with dozens or hundreds of wheels, it would be hard to get all the data, without overly complicating things for the user - and I agree that no one wants to pull up a drop down with 50+ choices…

Wheel diameter would at least be a start. It wouldn’t be perfect, but it could allow for some automated scaling and it’s easy enough for the customer to enter.

@Mika one more question for Paddock-
In the profiles, are you saving force % or absolute NM force?

For example a SC Sport user at 50% = 8.5nm shares his profile.
If another user opened the same profile on a SC Ultimate - would that same profile today open at 8.5nm (26.5%), or would it open at 50% (16nm)?

• Jack
1 Like

At the moment, we are saving the percentage.

The issue is with different weight/diameter wheels, the odds of someone feeling what the profile creator feels are quite slim. The wheel characteristics really affect strength and smoothing. This is a challenge for usefulness of shared profiles.

Just having the author describe the wheel might be helpful enough (e.g., OMP Super Quadro on Ascher B16 button box)?

1 Like

Weight and diameter seems to be important. Think is tricky when adding quality of wheels. I still struggle with race factor 2. Torque and behaviour is a threat to my hand while my wheel doesn’t seems to care at all. Cloud profiles aren’t a help. They even have different rotation/wheel angle settings! Wheel diameter is 300mm, weight a bit over a kilo.

Add individual’s physical fitness, 3 types of wheelbases all with different maximum torque, difference in game settings, all this adds up to limit usability of “shared” profiles.
Yes, they can give you “the idea” but will never completely eliminate need for tuning to suit individual personal situation.
Add to that that in general FFB is very subjective, some like more details, some can sacrifice most of them for smoother, more rubbery feeling, etc.
Some just don’t know what they are doing and throwing odd numbers for all filters in existence whether they are needed or not, or DI effects that are not even used by titles.

5 Likes

Bro, just saw a profile: damping 100%, damping fine-tuning 100%. I just don’t get it. I also was looking for an explanation for ultra low latency mode. Answer were from graphic signals to ffb that will have less quicker reaction. I understand it as decreasing the time between receiving a signal and the processing of it through whatever is between. Correct?
Plus slew rate limit: is limiting the amount of torque per ms, like 1 means limited to 1nm/ms and 4 is 4/ms?