SC2 pro possibly overheating and losing FFB

Yes I agree , ya know I understand going through reseller in regards to saving on shipping cost of large quantities is one thing but when anyone of us have an issue they should cut out the reseller/middleman and have us ship direct to GD for repair, it just makes more sense. Also if a reseller is taking this long it makes GD as a whole look bad and in turn should contact all resellers how to operate moving forward in order to do business in the future.

4 Likes

While I do agree that the speed with which issues are resolved needs to be ā€œimprovedā€, I think it would be a mistake to cut the distributor out of the picture. If you are in the US it is exponentially more expensive to ship something the size and weight of an SC2 to Finland versus somewhere in the lower 48. The distributor is the best solution for collecting faulty parts and distributing parts fixes if they are ever required. It is just going through growing pains right now.

I donā€™t think anybody is suggesting cutting out the resellers, itā€™s just that for cases like this one it would be good to have the option open to the buyer to ship directly back to GD.

1 Like

Understood. But I think if you try to have Granite fill all of the roles, even in special cases, it becomes less efficient for everyone. Especially as the number of owners grows. If it was an ā€œoptionā€ to send your car back to Audi rather than going through the dealer, it would bog everything down. Not that Audi couldnā€™t do a good job of remedying a problem, just that the infrastructure and process for manufacturing is different than for repair work. Just look how long people have been waiting for the product without the drain in manpower that would be necessary with a full on warranty department. Also, who is the arbiter of what a ā€œspecial caseā€ is. I donā€™t think there is anyone who would say their $$$ malfunctioning wheel is not a special case. It will ultimately be better for all SC2 users to have a solid distributor/reseller network.

Yeah, you raise good points. One thing that we would like to raise, is that we are not in contract with the end customers, and if a warranty return from country x (end user) to country y (reseller) goes without extra customs duties, the same is not always true in cases where the country x (user) ships unit to Finland (us) as the paperwork would not match.

Damn, I lost ffb on Iracing today. In the middle of the race suddenly wheel just lost power and few corners later force feedack came and then again lost. So I quit race. Room temperature is fine, both psu are connected. Motor is hot. I canā€™t find any fault notification on truedrive. Iracing force is 40/25 nm. And full force truedrive. And sc 2 pro.

OK, interesting. How hot is the motor then? Too hot to keep hand on, or just warm to touch? is the back plate hotter than the rest of the motor?

You can touch motor,it isnā€™t that hot. But now its cooled.

OK, we have been investigating that issue via another report, and it might be just a software issue. But we still havenā€™t got @RedEyeā€™s motor back via the reseller, so we are not confident to say anything about the heating issue yet.

Okei,should I contact simgear and/or try to bring ā€œoverheatingā€ issue again? It happened once on assetto corsa,but I didnā€™t understand that and though it was game problem.

I canā€™t really comment before we get to test one unit to determine if it is a failure or a software issue.

@RedEye How does your replacement Simucube 2 do - does it exhibit the same behavior?

Itā€™s working brilliantly. No issues so far, itā€™s been used extensively for a week now. The casing of the motor barely gets warm during extended use and it seems to run a little quieter than the previous unit during use.

3 Likes

OK, thanks for the report. We finally got the unit here today, so investigations shall commence.

4 Likes

So, can i buy your device? Did you find the problem from RedEye device?

Any word yet on what was learned from the returned motor? Was this updated in a different thread?

1 Like

We tried to replicate the issue with a few hard driving sessions, but could not replicate it, not at least to the extend that the user had the issue. However, there have been changes in firmware and maybe not all conditions were the same. Weā€™ve been too busy to try to figure out what to do next with that unit - one possibility is to artificially stress test the servo drive with the firmware from the beginning of summer, and see if it behaves in a different way.

1 Like

Thanks for the update!

Hi Mika,
Of course, you can also sent it to me for some extensive sessions under sim-racing conditions, I will have few weeks break over December, so I can do some torture-sessions for you :wink:

Cheers,
Beano

2 Likes

For you not to have the exact same issues he countered is highly suspect!!!