SC2 pro possibly overheating and losing FFB

Damn, I lost ffb on Iracing today. In the middle of the race suddenly wheel just lost power and few corners later force feedack came and then again lost. So I quit race. Room temperature is fine, both psu are connected. Motor is hot. I can’t find any fault notification on truedrive. Iracing force is 40/25 nm. And full force truedrive. And sc 2 pro.

OK, interesting. How hot is the motor then? Too hot to keep hand on, or just warm to touch? is the back plate hotter than the rest of the motor?

You can touch motor,it isn’t that hot. But now its cooled.

OK, we have been investigating that issue via another report, and it might be just a software issue. But we still haven’t got @RedEye’s motor back via the reseller, so we are not confident to say anything about the heating issue yet.

Okei,should I contact simgear and/or try to bring “overheating” issue again? It happened once on assetto corsa,but I didn’t understand that and though it was game problem.

I can’t really comment before we get to test one unit to determine if it is a failure or a software issue.

@RedEye How does your replacement Simucube 2 do - does it exhibit the same behavior?

It’s working brilliantly. No issues so far, it’s been used extensively for a week now. The casing of the motor barely gets warm during extended use and it seems to run a little quieter than the previous unit during use.

3 Likes

OK, thanks for the report. We finally got the unit here today, so investigations shall commence.

4 Likes

So, can i buy your device? Did you find the problem from RedEye device?

Any word yet on what was learned from the returned motor? Was this updated in a different thread?

1 Like

We tried to replicate the issue with a few hard driving sessions, but could not replicate it, not at least to the extend that the user had the issue. However, there have been changes in firmware and maybe not all conditions were the same. We’ve been too busy to try to figure out what to do next with that unit - one possibility is to artificially stress test the servo drive with the firmware from the beginning of summer, and see if it behaves in a different way.

1 Like

Thanks for the update!

Hi Mika,
Of course, you can also sent it to me for some extensive sessions under sim-racing conditions, I will have few weeks break over December, so I can do some torture-sessions for you :wink:

Cheers,
Beano

2 Likes

For you not to have the exact same issues he countered is highly suspect!!!

Yea man I just stopped racing for 5 weeks and dropped from 3rd to 16th in my division all because I loves the Fanatec xD

1 Like

Just a quick update of ongoing development: we are adding Simucube health monitoring features that help us to find the definitive answer to this question, as well as optimize operation and features further.

14 Likes

Great, thanx Tero! Will certainly assist with diagnostics at user-end :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sounds like the best option.

It seems i have the same problem with my SC2 Pro as described.
I have the unit since Aug. 2019 and had no issues until tonight.
I drove in TD at 100 % and in iracing 45NM (GTE at Watkins Glen).
I got just 5 or 6 beeps due to clipping.
After 40 minutes of driving the FFB started to weaken.
At first for 1 sec. and after a few corner more often. Especially noticeable in corners.
The FFB is still there but maybe at 20 %.
If I stop and wait for a minute the the force comes back but after one lap the FFB loss starts again.
The Base is warm but not hot. Maybe 40-45 °C.
I restarted the Base and the PC. I was able to reproduce the issue in a second stint one hour later.
I assume it has something to do with the higher forces I’m driving, maybe the temperature?
I´m still on TD Software 1.0.8.
The first logical step would be to update to the latest firmware and to check if under the same FFB conditions the issue is still there.
However i´m happy with TD 1.0.8. and i don’t want to update. I fear the the feeling could be different.
The question is what should I do?