rFactor 2 and SimuCUBE

It’s mostly for racing, but I do occasionally use the headset for other stuff also. Nice tip though thx. I’ll definitely try this if I have any more issues.

Am I doing something wrong, when the wheel pulls very violent to the left?

That is a wrong value in the rFactor user data player map in a Jsjon file there is a - and that not belong there
Its causes abrupt steering behavior .
I don’t know the name of that file I am gonna search for you

Ok I 'm gonna upload the " controller.jsjon " file somewhere there is a different value
I don’t know where but the original download from rFactor gives a wrong controller file
Thats causes imposible steering effects ( thats gives only problems with simucube )
The file should be placed in the rfactor-userdata-player map ( backup first the old one )
I hoop this will work for you ( save the file for later use! )
Controller.JSON.txt (34.4 KB)

Edit: I have no permission to upload a file with jsjon extention so I rename it as Controller.JSON.txt delete the .txt extension later

It’s possible that you may have a corrupted file or confused one with another. When in doubt, you can rename the file (to reference later), delete the OSW-preset and use Steam Verify to download a new copy of the OSW-Preset file. Then load the new OSW preset from the game-controller menu, edit assignments and save with a unique name.

The file named “controller.json” is just the last active controller-file when the game was exited. You don’t need to edit that file. Be sure you make changes to the saved file you created from the preset. If you do that, you should have proper FFB with the OSW although, you still need to enable the soft-lock function in your saved file in order to have proper auto-rotation working.

I had 2 x a new install and 2x problems, then I picked this controller.jsjon from a old backup and it was solved.
But you could be right I only uploaded it to maybe help someone if he has the same problem :slight_smile:

Didn’t help a lot. I have a lot of strange issues.

I’m going to start over with a fresh OSW-preset file, fresh controller.JSON file and a fresh Simucube profile.

Wheel was rattling without a deadzone in the middle to the left and right, pulling to the left and right and not giving the correct ratio with the car. To be continued.

Fixed. Never gonna touch those files again. :slight_smile:

So the right way to use OSW is to plug it into 2.0 usb? Interesting.

USB3 is compatible. But AsMedia USB3 chips are not compatible with Simucube firmware. We suspect it is to do with invalid behavior with large Human Interface Device data packets in the AsMedia USB driver.

1 Like

on my old motherboard ASMEDIA was no good so had to get the initek card off Amazon and that worked just fine with VR.
Current motherboard has good USB 3 ports and a couple with the DAC up option which i think gives a bit more power aswell and ive had no issues with that. The sensors i also put in regular USB 3 ports for best results.

My Simucube always plugged into usb 2 on pc and no problems here.

Software Wheel Rotation seemed to work initially. However I’m currently driving the new GT3 cars and the difference between them in terms of handling and physics at first glance doesn’t seem to be huge. What I find strange is that the steering seems much less sensitive than for example AC. Also the friction seems too low. Roadfeel however stays excellent. Still using Skeijmel settings, hence Steering torque sensitivity set to 1 (linear).So I set the software wheel rotation back to false and now the sensitivity appeared too high. Anyone recognizes this? Really annoying, feels like wasting my precious time. Update: it’s now oscillating heavily. Spent my whole day on it. I really want to enjoy this sim, but this is a mess. Hope that this can be fixed because for me it’s unplayable right now. Update: oscillation is gone now but issue remains: incorrect steering sensitivity: with teh software wheel rotation it’s way to insensitive, getting a bumpstop at 1440 degrees in the control menu when calibrating the steering.

Do you agree with that? In english on the bottom of the page

2 Likes

Oui! Yes! Many many thanks! I can confirm those settings are correct! Feels fantastic again! With the new GT3 cars on Sebring Rfactor 2 has upped their game. Honestly - the best simracing experience for me to date. Will drive for real on Zandvoort this summer in exotic cars like the Ferrari 488 GTB and the Porsche 911 (a dream come true) so I can finally feel for my self which sim is the most realistic.

1 Like

Hello sim racers :slight_smile:

so today i will share four different profiles. The base test is “if” some feeling effect are reflected or not in the wheel:

Below is the setting on the GRANITE SIMUCUBE software

Now in the .JSON

Damping “on”
Line 514 : “Steering resistance type”:0,
“Steering resistance type#”:“0=use damping, 1=use friction”,

All the options to “0” with the damping “on” .Download file here
“Brake effects on steer axis”:0,
“Brake spring coefficient”:0,
“Brake spring saturation”:0,
“Clutch effects on steer axis”:0,
“Clutch spring coefficient”:0,
“Clutch spring saturation”:0,
“Gearbox effects on steer axis”:0,
“Gearbox spring coefficient”:0,
“Gearbox spring saturation”:0,
“Other spring coefficient”:0,
“Other spring saturation”:0,
“Steering resistance coefficient”:0,
“Steering resistance saturation”:0,
"Steering resistance type":0, ( 0 use damping, 1 use friction )
“Steering spring coefficient”:0,
“Steering spring saturation”:0,

All the options to “1” with the damping “on”. Download file here
“Brake effects on steer axis”:1,
“Brake spring coefficient”:1,
“Brake spring saturation”:1,
“Clutch effects on steer axis”:1,
“Clutch spring coefficient”:1,
“Clutch spring saturation”:1,
“Gearbox effects on steer axis”:1,
“Gearbox spring coefficient”:1,
“Gearbox spring saturation”:1,
“Other spring coefficient”:1,
“Other spring saturation”:1,
“Steering resistance coefficient”:1,
"Steering resistance saturation"1,
"Steering resistance type":0, ( 0 use damping, 1 use friction )
“Steering spring coefficient”:1,
“Steering spring saturation”:1,

All the options to “0” with the friction “on”. Download file here
“Brake effects on steer axis”:0,
“Brake spring coefficient”:0,
“Brake spring saturation”:0,
“Clutch effects on steer axis”:0,
“Clutch spring coefficient”:0,
“Clutch spring saturation”:0,
“Gearbox effects on steer axis”:0,
“Gearbox spring coefficient”:0,
“Gearbox spring saturation”:0,
“Other spring coefficient”:0,
“Other spring saturation”:0,
“Steering resistance coefficient”:0,
“Steering resistance saturation”:0,
"Steering resistance type":1, ( 0 use damping, 1 use friction )
“Steering spring coefficient”:0,
“Steering spring saturation”:0,

All the options to “1” with the friction “on” . Download file here
“Brake effects on steer axis”:1,
“Brake spring coefficient”:1,
“Brake spring saturation”:1,
“Clutch effects on steer axis”:1,
“Clutch spring coefficient”:1,
“Clutch spring saturation”:1,
“Gearbox effects on steer axis”:1,
“Gearbox spring coefficient”:1,
“Gearbox spring saturation”:1,
“Other spring coefficient”:1,
“Other spring saturation”:1,
“Steering resistance coefficient”:1,
"Steering resistance saturation"1,
"Steering resistance type":1, ( 0 use damping, 1 use friction )
“Steering spring coefficient”:1,
“Steering spring saturation”:1,

1 Like

Very interesting approach and one I hadn’t thought of trying.

Can you provide some basic information about results using each one? How does the FFB differ in feeling? I wonder if / how this might be applied to other ISI-platform titles such as AMS and RaceRoom.

RaceRoom seems to be devoid of any surface texture for OSW-users but, Fanatec-users report having very much surface detail.

1 Like

@morOSWer,

you can dowmload the files and try on your side too :wink: and also give your feeback, it will be interesting to know your feedback

haven’t used your settings but i can say for sure that i liked Steering resistance type":1 , set to friction more than setting it to damping.

1 Like

I haven’t tested all of the settings extensively but, I find the damping-0 version to still work the best for me. I’ve been using the Brake-force effects in rF2 for some time now; I like the way the effect increases resistance under hard braking. I find that it adds some intensity to the experience.

The other effects didn’t seem to do much however, I was surprised at how well the friction-based FFB did work although, it doesn’t feel as natural to me. I need to give that another try with the added effects enabled.

1 Like

Hey, Dean and all. Have revisited rf2 and picked back up on this forum with the release of the excellent GT3 pack. My goodness . . . rf2 FFB on this Simucube system has come a long way in the last few months. Feels fantastic.

You guys experimented with the “Steering resistance saturation” number? I plugged in 0.5 today and it seems to add some nice weight to the wheel without dulling the detail.

2 Likes