rFactor 2 and Simucube 2

how can i get this controllers?

Reckon filter at 0 should be disabled, i don’t know why they still keep it as an option since it confuses people.

I would be really sad to see it go.

Used together with lowest slew rate setting, it provides a different way to smooth the signal.

Also for developers of ffb signals it can provide the most true form of the original signal, so is an important feature.
So removing it could make it less useful for developers and we might not get as good results on SC2 as if it is not removed.

1 Like

ok i don’t disagree if it works for you. :+1:

1 Like

I think Loukas meant that we should force reconstruction filter on at minimum of 1 at all times. I agree.

The game developers never meant to have the artifacts from the low update rate to be felt on the wheel, as it they are DD wheels with no smoothing filter.

2 Likes

I did understand what Loukas meant.

As I directly stated, I have use cases for “recon 0” in 2 ways:

1. Sometimes “recon 0 + lowest slew rate setting” makes sense for me.
  2. For developers to feel their signal as directly possible, it is important to be able to switch off as much smoothing as possible. This is NOT for how they intend it to be felt, but to understand what signal they produce, I have used this myself. I am sure some developers also visualize by graphs etc, but you still benefit from this ability.

From my perspective it’s a really bad idea, but since you already have the “simple mode” then what is the problem? Just don’t set recon at off in any way when using that.

5 Likes

Having non zero as default value for new profiles can help new users too, but please keep the ability to disable Recon altogether.

3 Likes

Hi all,

I’m new to Simucube as well as these forums. I’ve been having some issues dialing in the ffb in rF2 that I’m hoping I can get some advice on. I should mention that I’m new to sim racing as a whole starting earlier this year, I’ve really taken to this hobby like no other so I decided to make the jump from a belt driven wheel to an SC2 pro as I really spend a lot of time in the sim and want to maximize my enjoyment.

First, when adding an rFactor 2 profile in Truedrive there is a link to a post in this thread dated July '19 by Mika that has the rFactor 2 json files. Are these files still valid or is it dated? Because from what I can tell rFactor 2 does have a default Simucube 2 Pro profile that will load. However I want to be sure that I’m using the correct profile as recommended by the Simucube devs.

That said, I’ve tried the default profile in rF2 and the one in this thread and neither get the ffb feeling the way I prefer. The biggest issue I’m finding is that there is a very dead feel in the center. It’s hard to put my finger on but something is missing when the wheel is close to center, there is almost zero ffb happening and no sense of movement. I also don’t seem to have as much of a sense of the grip compared to my belt driven wheel.

I’ve taken the time to read up on the Truedrive settings and have played with the various filters, cranking things up incremently and turning them all down to zero to get a feel for what’s happening. The dampening, friction and inertia don’t seem to help with what I feel is lacking. It could very well be that I’m now getting the full rF2 experience as the software developers intended, and maybe I was just to accustomed the feel of my clubsport wheel. But it always felt as if my CSW was tugging at me slightly and keeping me more engaged. Perhaps there is a boost to the more minimal forces that while not being accurate, is easier for a beginner to pick up on.

rFactor has gone from being my most immersive ffb experience to one of the least for me personally. I mainly drive open wheelers and the Tatuus vehicles are some of my favourites. It may not be an apples to apples comparison, but when driving the Tatuus FA01 in Assetto Corsa with the default settings in TrueDrive, regardless of how realistic the phsycis are I always know where the limit is and it feels truly amazing to drive. With rF2 it feels like guesswork now, especially on the throttle. I don’t really know when I’m about to slide until it starts happening.

Lastly, I’m curious how all the ffb force settings relate to one another. I have the controller json for rf2 set to 25nm, and use the in game multiplier to adjust the strength. I generally keep TD at 100%, but if I were to say drop it down to 50%, does the game clip at all because rF2 is requesting more nm then what TD will now allow? Or does TD essentially halve all signals? I’m fairly certain it’s the latter but just want to be sure.

Again, I’m new to all of this and perhaps I’ll adapt to the new feel with the SC2 pro. But it does feel very off to me. However I would expect that when travelling over 200km/h there would be some sense of tension in the wheel near center, even when not cornering.

Sorry for the long post, thanks to anyone who has read this and any response is really truly appreciated.

BR - I’ve been using the SC2 Pro with rf2 since around August last year after several years on rf2 with a Thrustmaster T500RS.

Firstly, you are correct, I believe, to set TD to 100% and to modulate the forces from within rf2. Depending on the vehicle (I’m mostly into historic sports cars) my in-game FFB is generally around the 60% mark but for modern GT3s with lots of aero it can be lower and for older 60s single seaters it can be much higher to get any real feel.

It might be a bit much for you just now in your rf2 journey, but at some point you might want to find and install the 3rd party Motec plugin and analyse the actual FFB output in the real-world Motec analyser software. This is quite complicated but you can see from one of the data feeds what the actual ‘demand’ FFB forces are for a particular vehicle/track and can tweak the in-game force % to give you maximum detail without clipping.

Even as an experienced rf2 driver, it took me weeks or even months to settle on a basic combined profile (TD settings plus the relevant rf2 Controller.JSON internal settings) for me to be happy. The default SC2 rf2 profiles do need tweaking in the JSON in my opinion - for instance, out of the box, the kerb strike (and general collision) effects are overblown.

There are a lot of ‘moving parts’ in the equation - car mod, track, setup, controller.JSON, in-game settings, TD, driving style/preference… - so don’t despair but be patient.

2 Likes

Can anyone remind me what JSON line to modify in order to lower the amount off ‘pull’ that I get when applying the brake? It’s been so long that I just cannot remember.

Here’s what I have at the moment:

“Force Feedback”:{
“Brake effects on steer axis”:0,
“Brake effects on steer axis#”:“0 = Brake effects on brake axis, 1 = brake effects on steering axis.”,
“Brake effects strength”:10000,
“Brake effects strength#”:"-10000 to +10000, applies to all brake effects (force, vibration, static spring, etc?)",
“Brake spring coefficient”:0.3,
“Brake spring coefficient#”:“Static spring effect rate (-1.0 to 1.0)”,
“Brake spring saturation”:1,
“Brake spring saturation#”:“Static spring effect peak force (0.0 to 1.0)”,

I’m using the Porsche 911 GT3 and just a gentle application of the brake wants to pull the steering strongly back towards centre.

I would think Brake spring saturation. Treat it as a percentage in 0.0-1.0 form so if you want half strength use 0.5.

1 Like

Hi Birnen
I drive the FT 60 Tatus a LOT my settings are
overall strength 100% steering range 900%. steering lock 900% bump stop hard. static force reduction filter 3. TBL 2200KZ
damping 10% . friction 8%, inertia 5% static force reduction15%
slew rate off. ultra low latency mode 10%
All direct imput effects fine tuning to 0% not they do not work in rf2
IN GAME ABOUT 0.60 to 0. 65% Steering forces for TATUS

HOPE THIS HELPS…Let me know what you think…
Regards Denis
and i am sure those files are still valid ?? from mika

I must be missing something here? I cannot stop the steering wheel wanting to strongly pull itself towards centre every time I dab the brake pedal through a turn, even with the settings below.

“Force Feedback”:{
“Brake effects on steer axis”:0,
“Brake effects on steer axis#”:“0 = Brake effects on brake axis, 1 = brake effects on steering axis.”,
“Brake effects strength”:-10000,
“Brake effects strength#”:"-10000 to +10000, applies to all brake effects (force, vibration, static spring, etc?)",
“Brake spring coefficient”:-1.0,
“Brake spring coefficient#”:“Static spring effect rate (-1.0 to 1.0)”,
“Brake spring saturation”:0.0,
“Brake spring saturation#”:“Static spring effect peak force (0.0 to 1.0)”,

Is there anything else I can try?

Brake spring coefficient at zero maybe?

1 Like

shovas & SuperMonaco_GP, Thanks for the suggestions :+1:

Nothing seems to be making any difference so I think I’ll start with a fresh JSON file and go from there.

2 Likes

@EsxPaul
in Mika’s JSON file the Brake effects strenght is at 0

Brake effects on steer axis:0
Brake effects strength:0
Brake spring coefficient:0.3
Brake spring saturation:1

1 Like

@MrFox and @bluey

Thanks for the replies, I do appreciate the assistance. So it turns out there was something severely wrong somewhere in the userdata folder. I was basically getting no low end forces at all with a very large dead zone near center. I started tweaking things and playing with the minimum torque which started to bring out the smaller details, but at the cost of huge oscillations which were not pleasant. I ended up deleting the userdata folder completely and starting from scratch.

This, in combination with the json file in Chips post a few months back solved the problem (tweaking the maximum torque for my pro vs sport). A few more tweaks in TD - zero friction and upping the inertia a little for my personal preference gave me the feel I was looking for. I can now enjoy rF2’s ffb again in all it’s glory.

I would suggest to anyone who has switched wheels and is experiencing a rather dead feeling near center to try deleting your userdata folder and have steam validate the files. I’m not sure if the default sc2 profile in rf2 would be fine after that, or if Mika’s is the way to go. But I went with the json in Chips post and to my tastes it is much more nuanced in the subtle forces while not being cringy over kerbs.

Thanks again.
Brian

3 Likes

Hi Birnen rubber
good to hear you got it sorted out RF2 can be a PTA sometimes but when it works RF2 is great
regards and cheers

You could show your configuration in both trueDrive and the .json file and game screen with the configuration

thanks a lot

For what it’s worth…

I had a nightmare last night during my first practice session for a week or two (Norma LMP3s at the official-content Le Mans 2018 - so no third party mods). Rf2 and TD both updated to the latest versions.

I experienced an insane level of flat-spot vibrations - without apparent cause - to the point where I could barely hold on to the wheel on the straights. I tried changing the TD FFB settings a bit (extra damping etc.) to no avail.

Bottom line is that a full reboot sorted the issue and I was able to complete four 30 min races using the same track/car/TD settings later in the evening - so first stop for any major anomalies should be a reboot… Not exactly rocket-science, but…

2 Likes