Replacing Simucube Board

Unlikely, but could be remotely possible with strange grounding paths. Are the Simucube and the PC connected to grounded mains outlet? Is it the same mains outlet?

I will come back to this later on this week.

@Mika

The PC and Simucube board Is connected to an extension cord, which is then connected to two socket wall mains which one of the sockets is powering the other Sim with the same set up.

Power the the building does not seem to be an issue as all others powered the same way.

We are having motherboard failing that are brand new, so there is definitely an issue with USB being over powered and the only thing with a power source is the simcube units

We seem to have run out of them, and as Simucube 1 is at EOL, we expect that we won’t produce any more of the wireless update modules for Simucube 1.

One of the last batches went to Tomo at Simracing Bay; you can purchase it from there:
https://www.simracingbay.com/product/simucube-wireless-adapter/

@Mika

Very kind of you finding the product link will be making an order.

I managed to get our intel motherboard replaced under Warranty and have now decided to add a USB Expansion Card as a barrier to protect the mother board for future problems.

However I can see the PC failing again once the board is connected.

Is there a way to measure the USB output
Is there a minimal / maximum voltage for the PSU

My thinking is maybe the power supply unit is overpowered the board causing the PC USB to over load.

Could you advise on possible to fix this issue.

Thank you

There is a 48 to 5 V voltage regulator on the Simucube board. The operating input range of the regulator is sufficient to be able to utilize all possible voltage ranges used by Simucube - at least 36 V and 52 V power supplies can be used.

If there is something that would leak to USB, it would be due to interference or poor grounding of the Simucube power supply. To rule out ground loop issues, I would install an USB isolator between the PC and the Simucube.

Hi @Mika

Update on this matter,

The previous issue with the USB failing and possible the Simucube board was due to faulty PSU - when I connected a volt meter it would spark

I now have Mean Well 48V dc, 6.7A
https://tinyurl.com/ynjt2vpv

I have attached a volt meter and the lowest voltage I can set the PSU is 37.7 Volts.

Would this be ok or would I need to replace the PSU with a lower voltage model.

Now connected the Simucube board I have the following error

Installed IONI Board 1 and also swapped in another IONI Board from another sim giving me the following error messages

IONI Board 1
Fault Code 770100

IONI Board 2
E-Stop is released. Motor Faults: Undervoltage! Initialization Fault! Fault Location ID: 0

Could you please advise what I can do to get Simucube working with the wheel and if the new power supply is ok to use.

Thank you

Simucube is designed to work with 48 V voltage. The PSU will be fine. It has a hickup overcurrent mode, which will cause it to turn off if you overload it. You need to check MPP parameter in Granity and put it to e.g. 300 W so that the current draw is suitable for this power supply.

Our fault codes are here:

https://granitedevices.com/wiki/Fault_location

This code is to indicate, that this IONI has parameters to utilize a serial (BiSS-C) encoder, but either you do not have this encoder in the unit, or it is disconnected. Adjust encoder parameters in Granity to match to the encoder you have.

This likely faults with Undervoltage fault. There is an undervoltage fault limit setting in Granity and it is higher than the PSU outputs for you. Adjust the PSU voltage to somewhere around 48 V like they were typically set in Simucube 1 builds.

Hi @Mika

I have swapped the IONI Board with a few other sims until one of them worked,

I now get the message operational and e stop is released in GREEN.

When powering on the wheel moves a little like the others do but when I turn the wheel no movement is seen on Simucube screen.

I am sure that the fault just lies within the IONI Board

My question is

What are the steps and each setting to correct configurate the original IONI Board that showed the previous fault code to accept the new motor.

The screen image is me swapping in the IONI Chip from out last sim number 8

Please advise

Thank you

@Mika

I have just downloaded
Granity#/downloads - 1.15.3

I enabled IONI Configuration via USB on Simucube

Disconnected and connected USB port to the next one

Opened Granity.App

But it can not find the device as seen is this image

With the Borrowed IONI Drive that shows operation GREEN on Simucube

These are the values - but steering input does not show when moving the wheel

Now the original board that we are trying to resolve

I downloaded the Virtual COM Port drivers and this seems to find the device to connected to Granity.App

Here are the values for this IONI Board

The wheel is stiff with resistance like it’s stuck in mud type of feeling

Values attached below,

I Believe I need to modify these values to accept the new motor?

Please clarify hopefully this will resolve it.

Thanks

increase Fuv to 30 , and Fev to it’s max value 30000

i don’t know what encoder you have but for mige at least i think you should set encoder type to biss c , fbst to 22 bits and fbmt to 0 bits

Thanks, tried the settings still exact same issue

I will have a look at the settings later.

I think the encoder cable is also different between Sincos and other encoder types.

if i remember correctly sincos and quadrature use the same cable , but biss is different.

@SimRacer.21 what type is the encoder ?

also i would revert the psu back to 48v , or i would lower the mcc , mmc values because maybe you are voltage limited with 37.3v that’s why it trips the undervoltage. But ofc that won’t solve the issue with the encoder.

@Mika

For your reference I have remove the rear housing of the motor

And taken a photo of the serial code would this be able to work what type of motor this is to correctly set up the IONI Board

Upside down

That’s a biss c encoder if i am not mistaken and it is perfectly fine for simucube. If the cables are the ones that came with the motor they should be compatible with this encoder.

Hi @Mika

to resolve this issue, I believe i need to correctly program the IONI Board to the new Simucube board to be able to use this motor.

Other IONI Boards swapped in have made it work, just not register the steering input, but status was green.

Can you please advise on the steps needed, to

Configure the IONI Board correctly so we can use the wheel.

Thank You

Connect to the servo drive with Granity, change encoder settings and possible overspeed fault value, save settings.

But you need to have correct encoder cable.

I would suggest you to get all other sims work (no switched IONIs or encoder cables), so we can focus only on this unit. Please PM me when you have done so.