Moza R9 470$ vs Simucube2 1500$

i wouldn’t change from simucube to moza but i do have some thoughts/worries about what granite are doing with simucube now, the process of building the ecosystem is slow and generally falling behind other brands, not a big deal really due to the third party infrastructure but what is more concerning is the lack of anything substantial in software updates for a long time, no real improvements to the software. Perhaps because its in a really good place right now but i thought perhaps over time we would see more changes to the software, more tweaks we can make, more dials to turn and such for more flexibility.

i feel like we need something to elevate the software to another level, especially with other manufacturers bringing new ideas, moza with the EQ may have processing delay but its there, its something the user can experiment with to bring certain frequencies forward more easily. heck with logitech and their true drive even they are pushing boundries not explored by anybody else, i dont understand why the likes of simucube and fanatec etc cant follow suit, these motors are capable of extremely high frequencies so much so they make sounds without speakers right so surely some of these ideas made by other manufacturers can spark ideas within granite devices to expand what we already have.

just some thoughts.

2 Likes

I would rather love to see games developed for DDs. I don’t think that Granite should do a lot on the software side. Once games are really optimized for DDs we going to have an even better experience. Since AC comes with a CSP patch made for DDs I have an absolute awesome sensation

Respect.

Our addiction to cheap Chinese goods has lead us to acquiesce ever more to despot countries who don’t share our moral values.

And you can see all around you that we are reaping what we have sown.

2 Likes

Simucube for life, I trust it so much.
Chinese products break very fast.

As always with everything, you get what you pay for.

1 Like

FFB wise at least from the reviews i ve seen it seems the R9 is quite good. But the quality and longevity are questionable. Especially with a Chinese company, i would think it twice. Still at the price point it should be a good choice for people that don’t want to invest much. Personally i would never sell my SC2 to get a Moza or something similar.

Nevertheless, hardware aside, my opinion is that Granite must do something with TD cause it is getting outdated. Just hope that we will see something new on that front soon. The DD market is becoming more mature and more crowded with new offerings. 3 years ago the only options were SC & Fanatec, now its them and Simagic, Moza, Immsource, Cammus, Logitech and Thrustmaster (soon)…

1 Like

well of course i agree with this, games being developed around the use of a DD is ideal but i dont feel that its a requirement for good DD feeling, just having more thought put into general wheel use would help, sometimes with games there is a feeling its an afterthought. a prime example would be the new dakar game, looks pretty good but does not even support the simucube so its immediately off the list, it should be priority for any driving game to have huge wheel support.

i think there is so much more granite could do with the software, there must be parameters they keep away from the general userbase, i just wish they would go balls to it and essentially unlock what the motor can do, the software is the heart and sole of the device and simucube has always offered settings that kept it one step ahead of the competition, there was always just that little bit more you could tweak to truly let us dial in the feeling but i feel like its lacking a little innovation now and the risk of being knocked off its perch at the top is looming. i do feel like asetek is going to take what made a simucube great and expand heavily on it and i dont want to feel like that as a simucube owner, i want to get excited about new software releases that make me jump in and drive but at the moment i feel like they are preparing it for its end of life when it comes to any more updates.

maybe im wrong, i hope im wrong.

1 Like

Your mentioning of Asetek made me curios.
Found this.
Also article and video on their quest for “perfect” quick release.

If you ask me they look and sound like really serious competitor to Simucube, not sure about price but seems like HW is the same if not even more refined and thought out level. Not sure about SW though, but it is not SC2 strong suit anyway, so doubt they could pull something worse.

EDIT: Found video from the show.

I mentioned this earlier, but no-one paid attention to. Granite and Asetek made a huge deal in the beginning of 2021. They must have been negotiating since 2020. They are not rivals or competitors in the same market, but close partners.

Looks like feared SC3 will be from Asetek with some limited support for existing SC2 from GD.
Is that what 3 weeks from now announcement is about?

If you watch the video it’s clear that TD wasn’t made as main FFB too, more a refining tool. That’s why it’s like it is. It makes also clear that you should do in-game settings to, and then refine it with TD

1 Like

I don’t know. All I know that both companies made a share trade and announced this in January 21. Asetek is a much bigger company and pumped, in exchange for the shares, liquidity into Granite. I once asked Mika if the almost identical use of colours is a sign towards ecosystem. He replied that this is accidentally, but of course didn’t deny their link to Asetek.
The announcement is something a public company with shares listed on a major index sometimes has to release. But what the next step will be…:
Pedals would be strange, because Asetek make a lot of efforts there.
New steering wheel:
The last attempt with the Tahko sure was not as successful as Granite was hoping for. And the unsolved point with dual clutches and display (both not possible with wireless at the moment, if I am correct) do limit Granite very much.
A rig: I myself would bring out a rig. The Simucube are famous for being strong, sturdy and reliable. So a rig with the same qualities would underline these main points. Plus designing a rig isn’t that difficult, or less difficult than a rim.
But I have not really a clue what is next

Motion platform or motion system sounds logical. But no idea honestly, it’s announced as a big deal “revolution” on countdown page, just another wheel or pedals is not something that would qualify.

1 Like

Good point: “huge”, " revolutionary"… And I never thought as far as motion platform. That would really be exceptional!! Like you wrote: I’m also really kind of digging in the dirt. Let us find out, what precious is hidden there. Hopefully soon

It is a revolution - not long to go :grin:

1 Like

Hardware wise of course there can be improvements to wheels, bases, pedals, shifters, motion, etc, but can these really be revolutionary at this point in time? For me a real revolution could be from the SW side. Imagine if we could have something like Sim Commander with an SC2 (one of the best, if not the best DD base). All the issues with sims/games FFB would not really matter anymore. Anyway we will find out GD plan in a few weeks.

Is this a revolution that will cost us money? Or will we be able to enjoy it for free on SC2? :grin:

3 Likes

To me, looks like the “Step into the future” could be a revolutionary pedals set to close the OG Simucube ecosystem.
Only some kind of servo brake pedal can be revolutionary at this stage of simracing evolution.
Pair that with a software overhaul (telemetry reading and working Direct Input filters to feed the base/pedals) and all of us will be happy

1 Like

I’m always on nails when people do this endless countdowns!! You punish me for whatever reason 🥹

1 Like

Let’s do a betting group :sunglasses:
I think you are wrong, but you still can call an expert (ask @Andrew_WOT), or use the audience joker (maybe @Mika is watching the show). I wouldn’t go for the 50/50 joker! It’s the same as asking @SuperMonaco_GP​:grin::grin: