Just recieved my Simucube, advice needed

Hi,

1. You will then want to install the SimuCUBE Firmware; follow the instructions in the SimuCUBE Firmware User Guide. You don’t need to install MMOS first.

2. Same settings can be used. You can, however, check that Bus Address Offset (SMO) parameter is 0, and that there is sufficient voltage (1.5 V, for example) between the HV bus voltage and the FOV Over Voltage Limit. Otherwise, same settings should be OK to use.

If you plan on using exactly the existing IONI Pro or Pro HC you already have, then it is not required to upload any new DRC files.

1 Like

Hi. Thanks for all the help so far.

I’m trying to install/update the simucube firmware for the first time but it keeps failing at the verifying stage. Any ideas? I went into DFU mode beforehand to install the “simucube-bootloader.dfu,” then powered simucube off, waited 1 minute, powered on (not in dfu mode anymore), windows driver installed upon powering on, opened “SimuCUBE Configuration Tool.exe”, clicked hardware tab and went through the wizard which successfully finds the firmware and the install completes the “201264 bytes sent” part, goes to verifying, then goes to fail.

Should I have the X4 mini USB plugged in maybe? I still only have the X3 from when I was using DfuSeDemo to install the simucube bootloader. I don’t think DfuSeDemo detects a boot device (upper-left drop-down menu) if both X3 and X4 mini USBs are plugged.

This can be caused by bad usb connection.

Which motherboard do you have, and which port on that motherboard are you using?

1 Like

I’m currently using the MSI X99A XPower Gaming Titanium motherboard. I have it plugged into one of the USB 3.0 or 3.1 ports. It’s a standard one just labelled Gen1, not Gen1 Type-A or Gen1 Type-C like some other ports on the board are.

I’m going to try what look like USB 2.0 ports.

When I switch USB port and power simucube back up, can I attempt to try again right away with firmware install or do I need to open simucube-bootloader.dfu from DfuSeDemo and do that part again first?

EDIT: Other USB port worked great (and I didn’t do the simucube-bootloader.dfu from DfuSeDemo part again).

Thanks, it would appear that motherboard has the very problematic Asmedia USB3 chipset:

ASMedia® ASM1142 Chipset

• 2 x USB 3.1 Gen2 (SuperSpeed USB 10Gbps) ports (1 Type-A port and 1 Type-C port on the board)
    ƒ- 2 x USB 3.1 Gen1 (SuperSpeed USB) ports available through the internal JUSB4 connector.

• VIA® VL805 Chipset

• 4 x USB 3.1 Gen1 (SuperSpeed USB) ports on the back panel

• Intel® X99 Chipset

• 5 x USB 3.1 Gen1 (SuperSpeed USB) ports (2 Type-A ports on the back panel, 1 internal Type-C port on the board, 2 ports available through the internal JUSB3 connector)
  • 7 x USB 2.0 (High-speed USB) ports (3 ports on the back panel, 4 ports available through the internal USB connectors)

SimuCUBE is by far not the only device that has problems with Asmedia chip.

1 Like

Thanks, it’s all done and working.

i have some questions regarding DRC files. Instead of using my previous one, I used the motor file from Granity’s motor page. I then changed some values like current (for higher torque) and PSU wattage (because I am using a PSP-600-48 600w PSU).

Can some please make sure my DRC pages look OK?

Also, when comparing to my old Ollie IONICUBE 1x setup (setup for simucube mode in Granity), there are a few differences:

IONICUBE 1x —> Simucube:

BDD Dynamic braking deceleration:
1 —> 16

MTC Thermal time constant:
1500 —> 500

MPP Peak power limit:
0 (power limit not used) —> 590

FOC Over current tolerance:
Maxiumum —> Low

FOV Over voltage fault threshold:
49.50 —> 50.00

FUV Under voltage fault threshold:
30.00 —> 20.00

FEV Over speed fault:
100 (6.25 revs/s) —> 140 (8.75 revs/s)

You definitively should put Over Current Tolerance to Maximum. I use 1500 as MTC. FOV depends on you HV bus voltage, please put it around 49.5 or 50 V if your HV bus is around 48.0 V.

My HV bus voltage is at a steady 48.5v is that 0.5v difference OK?

Does dynamic brake deceleration at 16 instead of 1 make any game/FFB difference?

The testing page with wheel resting at desktop currently shows “analog 1 in” at 1.59v, my Ollie IONICUBE 1x kit was at -0.06v. Is the current value OK?

I think at 48.5 V you should put it to 50.0 V. There is a check here that will prevent the IONI from initializing, if these are too close together. The exact specification is to have at least 2% safety headroom, which would make it 49.47 V on your system. I would add some more margin for voltage variations and put it 50.0 V.

IoniCUBE and SimuCUBE are different, I have never taken any interest in those analog in signals, so I suspect your signal levels are ok.

Fantastic. Thank you.

Do you know if the dynamic brake deceleration at 16 instead of 1 makes any game/FFB difference?

Please check your PM in the next day or two :slight_smile:

They don’t make any difference, that feature is only used when drive is being driven and a fault develops. It alters the behavior on motion stop.

https://granitedevices.com/wiki/Granity_user_guide/Goals

Hello
Can you help me i have problem.
I was using mmos till now and installed Simucube all went fine, but when it was all done Encoder count per revolution was 0 and wheel is unusable.

Config is: ioni pro hc 25a, large midge 40000cpr
Do i hve to go to “enabel Ioni USB configuration” and do something there?

Hi guys!

A report came to me telling that the fresh install is again broken in 0.9.4. You can wait for tomorrow morning for the fix, or put SimuCUBE to Firmware update mode via the firmware update wizard, cancel when it says that simucube found in firmware update mode, and then use the 0.9.3 zip to downgrade to that. Then run the wizard using that version, verify correct operation, and then update to 0.9.4.

My sincere apologies for the inconcenience!

Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to find out whats going wrong - all of the code seems to work allright, and I’ve now tested this around 10-15 times.

It is getting late… I think I will have to look at this with fresh eyes tomorrow.

You can downgrade to 0.9.3, it does work, nobody reported any issue with that.

Hmmm. I used the firmware update through the wizard, it found the firmware and all seemed to have installed successfully. Is the install broken in 0.9.4 for all PCs?

Nevermind, I guess it didn’t update fully like you mentioned:

Capture

0.9.5 has now been released, it will correct the issue you have.

Thanks.

1. Does the overall strength in the simucube options directly change the amperage from granity, or is it different than actually going into Granity? I know with the old MMos, adjusting overall strength from there was not identical to adjusting amperage in Granity.

2. Is it OK if I just leave both USBs plugged in all the time?

1. It directly adjusts the parameter in the IONI drive. Note, that if you go to Granity, SimuCUBE will set the maximum MMC value back there before releasing the Simplemotion bus connection.
  2. OK, no problems.