Irratic and dangerous force feedback freezes/movements in iRacing and Simucube 2 Ultimate

sadly I don’t know enough of those Arduino things. Somebody built that for me, I have no idea if it’s an original Arduino or a copy and no idea of how to tell that apart. But the problem you are describing seems to fit on it, that with any other cable it does not get or stay connected… I guess there is no way to improve that other than maybe getting a completely different board all together and re-pogramm everything?

Mainboard is a ASUS ROG STRIX Z590-F. I have no idea how TB4 docks work…

@phillip.vanrensburg if you don’t mind, I would like to know the reference of your TB4

Hello, due to the number of usb devices, I have the Caldigit Element 4 hub: https://www.caldigit.com/thunderbolt-4-element-hub/

Daisy-chained with the Caldigit Station: https://www.caldigit.com/thunderbolt-station-4/

Quite expensive solution, but the best I have found, no longer any issues on usb at all. Next stro is to remote-mount my PC and running an optical cable between my PC and the TB4 Station: https://www.macfixit.com.au/products/optical-cables-by-corning-thunderbolt-optical-cable-5-5m-black?srsltid=AYJSbAeonIUlcRvG3tU3l3sWb0RJ5MkMjyQzNfZGFba-GD6OUEbMH9ORkKM

This will allow me to have a good clean and tidy system, in case I want to recommission my PT Actuator motion setup again.

1 Like

Thanks for the answer, is it possible to connect the SC2 PRO to a USB 3 or 3.1 socket?

Do you mean USB 3.x port or USB Type-C port?

Yes, usb type 3.x port, type C I think it is absolutely not possible.

I have mine attached to a USB type 3.x port. I think my mainboard does not have any 2.x :smiley:

Ok, checked it.
I have only 2x USB 2.0 ports. All others are 3.2

1 Like

I use the same motherboard, the one with WiFi. I never had any issues. My system is running absolutely stable at 5000MHz, together with an I7 11700K and 32 MB DDR 4 at 4000 Hertz.
I use a powered USB hub for wheels with display and can say, that I never have any problems.

1 Like

Any USB will work, including 3.x and C, for C you just need the right C to A adapter or cable terminated with C on one end and USB 2.0 B on motor side.

1 Like

I’d be really interested in your bios settings to have it run stable at 5ghz. I tried to do that but was not really happy with the performance - it did run at 5ghz, but I did also experience some weired behaviour / stutters in the simulation…

Sadly I don’t know of a simple way to compare all the necessary settings other than maybe take pictures of all bios settings, which is quite a hassle as well…

Wow, these are so much pages, subpages…
And cooling is very important… I’m gonna think about

In case you have an ASUS board, you can do it the “noob” way like I did.

Enable to AI overclock and play around with the “cooling” rating.
My system is water cooled but the CPU itself is not that happy with certain OC settings.
So I set the rating to a point where the best cores are at 5ghz all the time and did a stresstest for 1 hour.
No crash for me and its working great since weeks.

yes, I know it’s crazy… And I don’t think there is an easy way to check/compare those…

ASUS ROG STRIX Z590-F with an i7-11700K

I tried different settings as well, but found it rather difficult to understand how good it performes. Even when stresstest is working out, sometimes there are issues when running a simulation later on.

I don’t use watercooling, but a NOCTUA NH-D15 chromax.black, one of the best regular coolers I know and according to some tests compareable with plenty of water cooling systems.

In theory what would be best is to OC a few cores and have iRacing run on those as it uses almost only 2 cores a lot. But trying to make that happen did not really work out well too…

I also found it difficult to have the CPU running OC timing when needed - so when the simulation is using it, but clocking down when not. Somehow I did not get that working right. As long as the CPU was clocking down when the computer was basically in idle, it would not OC when needed, and when I configure OC working - it would never go down also for just sitting there idle and having all cores running 5Ghz for doing nothing is quite stupid too… So I ended up running basically baseline settings.

Individual cores overclocking doesn’t work that well with Windows Thread Scheduler when it constantly moving running threads around cores.

Noctua is a great cooler but keep in mind I am talking about a custom loop and not a AIO.
My system usually is not over 50°C :smiley:.

Also you have to be aware that the CPU should not be above 75 or something °C cause it would stop running at max clock.

1 Like

I agree to :100: percent. And overclocking really stays and falls with temperature. If one doesn’t use water cooling for the CPU achieving overall oc results like 35 to 40 percents from BIOS are not worth the risk, imo.
I’m sometimes surprised on the low temps I have . But each systems has its limits. And each processor is a little bit different from another.

Multi core CPUs seldom go into extreme temperature during typical, few hard working threads load, synthetic tests on the other hand :scream:
Cooling on GPUs is generally more critical as they heat up fast.
AIOs have been working well for me for many years on OCed CPUs and GPUs in my builds.

A 360AIO will do as good on a cpu as any custom w/c loop under any normal operational load. And no, looping OCCT or small FFT’s in Prime 95 for xxx hours isn’t normal operational load. So much nonsense being peddled by yootoobers on this topic.

For the past 7 years+, I have been using a single Alphacool UT60 280mm radiator, and it still manages to keep my 12900ks and 3090 happy under any gaming load.

1 Like