iRacing and Simucube 2

With so many varying opinions on settings and my understanding of some of the posts in this this thread - is it accurate, for simplicity sake, to set TD Overall strength equal to iRacing Max Strength for the before mentioned 1:1 ratio and then just adjust wheel force in game for personal desired FFB strength?

Am, I understand that correctly? I ask because I have seen multiple profiles where the TD overall strength is set equal to the iRacing wheel force instead along with some random Max Strength value.

Better than my words, take David Tucker words:

https://community.granitedevices.com/t/iracing-and-simucube-2/3049/679?u=alfye20

what are the reason to have Reconstruction filter on 7 and Torque bandwith limit on unlimited? Some other iracing settings suggest otherwise.

then it feels smoother to me. Less is too edgy for me

1 Like

I use reconstruction 2-3 and unlimited bandwidth, for what it’s worth.

Wheel makes a big difference. I notice significant difference from SRB GT3 vs SRB BB & Superquadro. 300mm vs 320mm, plus weight/rotational inertia differences. I use more specific strength and less reconstruction with heavier larger wheel.

This makes me question value of shared profiles if they don’t also factor in the wheel in use. There’s no guarantee you’ll feel what someone else does if the wheels are significantly different. I want to stress that I am not against making profile sharing easier. That’s great. I’m just pointing out that wheel size and rotational inertia (not simply weight) do have effect.

4 Likes

this is true. I use 270 mm steering wheels which are very light

WheelForce will NOT adjust your strength at the wheel… adjusting the Max Force However will.

Wheelforce generally should be set the same as the Wheelbase strength as Wheel Force is a Safty Mechanism to keep the system from allowing the wheel to transmit forces scaled beyond 1:1.

TD Strength = to Max Force = 1:1
TD Strength = to Wheel Force = Safety Measure

My approach seems similar… my “philosophy” is (also used to be with the DD2) to apply only what is absolutely necessary to have a smooth enough feeling. So no overboarding of Dampening, Friction or Inertia - which I often see in other setups. I always wonder how they can be fast with that. If I do not have enough precise feedback, e.g. when turning into corners, feeling the weight of the wheel loading, knowing exactly when I overturn the wheel, no chance to be really fast without that.

1 Like

My default profile for iRacing.
Ingame ffb AUTO
TD overall force by car-wheelrim
SlewRateLimit: 4.80 - OFF on the Sport
Simple

If anybody has been missing something somewhat like the “gamma” (I assume) on pro or sport version, I have added that to irffb, locally. It might not be an exact match, so maybe even some Ultimate users can use it, who knows.
Also adjusted it so irffb can go to max of 100NM instead of 65NM.

It’s an early version, but works fine.

What the gamma does is allow you to bend the FFB signal curve, compressing the higher forces and strengthening the lower forces. This can be used for 3 purposes:

• Make the force at center and force on cornering more or less equal.
  • Make the force at center stronger, relatively to cornering.
  • Make the force on cornering weaker, relative to center force.

Without this I had these issues:

• Setting the max NM low and TD general strength low to safeguard my hands in case of accidents would lead to clipping on strong cornering. Now I can set the max NM high, using the gamma and TD “overall strength” to minimize how hard the highest NM’s hit me.
  • Setting the TD general force low & then use high in game max NM would mean my center feel was too weak. Now I can use gamma to get more center feel.
  • General feel: I like my center a little stronger so the difference to hard cornering is not so big. I could not adjust this.

So with this I now can run iceracing at TrueDrive “overall strength” of 12 Nm, while maintaining good center strength as well as more normalized force strength on cornering & at in-game max NM of 40+.

You can look at this as being able to adjust the power-steering of the vehicles a little more.
This is not really “normal sim LFB”, since it is not meant to boost the very low forces enormously, like sometimes required for weaker wheel bases.
This one adjusts it like this:

The red line is the normal FFB line. The others are examples of various curves possible by the new slider. All in-betweens can be hit by the slider.

Worth noting that I don’t think any such thing as “artifical” exists that I know of when doing these manipulations of the FFB signal. Any power-steering in a GT3 car for example will do things like this as well. It’s all subjective what each driver wants and likes. So iceracing default FFB signal is not “the truth”.

Shoot me a direct message in case you need it too. If you never felt the need for this already then don’t waste your time with it I would say. The less time on working the filters the better. This one is def. in the more detailed/advanced end of the use case spectrum. To me it was important to have.

Any ideas for other easy to do filters are welcome. I’m not sure fixing the “ice” issue is possible, but will look at it when time allows.

-Karsten

5 Likes

agreed, especially usage of Static Force reduction -> may help with detecting feedback easier through corners, alter what you naturally would feel on a wheel quite a bit.
I’d rather have a feel on the wheel that somehow resembles what I experienced IRL on race tracks.

For anybody interested my local changes to irFFB now adds vibrations on both understeer and oversteer. No more ice for me :slightly_smiling_face:

Early version, these 2 vibrations are not yet adjustable by sliders and are always present(when possible) when running this file. I will add that another day.

Message me for the irFFB file if you need it.

2 Likes

@Mika can you confirm if the gamma filter works exactly the same as the filter I added to irffb? Or if it’s more leaning towards the low forces?
My implementation does split the signal, so it only boosts the slow/big part, not the details. That is not explained above.

Thanks

I haven’t seen the code implementation of the gamma filter, so can’t really comment right now. It can be adjusted both ways, thats a detail I know.

1 Like

Ok,

So maybe just make this unadjustable part of it accessible for everybody?

It’s all I need, personally. I know of others I’ve heard from they’d like that same thing…
Feel free to hide it under advanced/advanced/advanced/secret settings.
Or put it in the “Simucube 2 Factory” windows registry key, like some other things 8)

I have sc2 sport and received profile of someone with the pro.

If he has iracing settings of max force 50 and wheel force 25 should I use max 34/wheel 17 to have similar experience?

Or are profiles not transferable between sport and pro?

Correct, you should.

I will mention that while alot of users do go to this philosophy the issue I would point out is that DD wheels especially (Going off Brand) the DD1/DD2 and smaller motor units react and spin up extremely quickly… This leads to a situation where the servo is imparting motions quicker than what would be real and can lead to things like overcorrection, harshness over bumps and curbs, and just plain additional driver fatigue that wouldn’t be there normally… So finding a good balance on the filters to control the servo correctly is pretty big in getting a comfortable and realistic driving system. Having used so many different wheels myself there are reasons to have the more active nature of some over others but generally if you are looking for pure realism you won’t want that or you will want to know you can tune it out… NOT all wheels have the ability to tune into both helms and that is one area where the SimuCUBE firmware/software seems to have an advantage over other brands is that it is wide ranging enough that it is possible to go in either direction… This is also why it Disappoints me that they are “simplifying” the interface because “our research shows that XX number of the people we get information from don’t use this” BTW I opted out of the Data send with my SC2.

1 Like

I’m sorry, but you are wrong. extremely quickly… This leads to a situation where the servo is imparting motions quicker than what would be real and can lead to things like overcorrection, harshness over bumps and curbs is the problem of all simulators. iracing is very , very close to reality, there is a little fix with tire deformation and tire temperature graphycs build up + some other little tweaks and it become brilliant. There is no problem in DD wheels in this dirrection. But anyway FFB must be tunned, but i think from the side of iracing

1 Like

If you have used as many different DD wheels as I have your opinions might be a little different on this… But having driven Lighter faster wheels and Heavier more Naturally dampened wheels along with Many others in between you do get a sense for where the wheel itself and the way it delivers information (regardless of the game) and drastically can change the way the information is Felt at the user end of the wheel… In iRacings case all of the information they send to the wheel is based off of telemetry models… They do not impart “Canned” effects which are common in many other games… Given this that can adjust their tire compounds or the Car model itself and Change the Feel of the car and make it feel better to use… But that change will be directed toward every wheel Brand in the same way…BTW I have seen overlays of Real Car telemetry data AND the iRacing data and the points of reference aligned way better than I expected given how many people complain about the Data being off. In the end some of those wheels react in ways that are significantly different than others and that of course is not on the Game developers to Tune to each and every wheel brand out there, it is the nature of Direct drive wheels as they are… Which this there are some servos and systems that allow for more tuning to eliminate adverse effects imparted on the user by the way it translates information and that is an important part of things.

1 Like