Ionicube e ioni pro

I have a question regarding (product) regarding (issue).

My hardware configuration:
-ionicube 1x with ioni pro
-small mige with 5000ppr
software vnm with 23 bit support

my question is
can ionicube 1x support 23 bit seriall encoder (biss c)?
i know that mmos doesnt support it but i am using new open source firmware with support of 23 bit encoder but i am not certan that driver will support it.

I’m not familiar with the architecture of a new open source software. Do you have a link?

as always trough stm32
ionicube will support seriall encoder?

i am currently testin effects. dont use mmos for two months

Ioni Pro and Pro HC support BiSS-C encoder.

2 Likes

Hi Alek,

On which forum do they talk about this new firmware the most?

I am very interested to try it on some old Ionix1 and Argon controls.

Are you using the older STM32 Discovery board from 4+ years ago?

Thanks,
Joe

yes i am using old olli from simplicity

1 Like

Thanks!Alek cool stuff!

I remember now someone spoke about this beta software on Thanos controller website.

Hi Mika. Did you manage to see architecture of VNM software. Hoan one off the creators would like to contact you for absolute encoder support

Hi Alexander

IONICUBE 1X is just a motherboard. The encoder connector is indentically wired than IONICUBE (4X) and simucube 1 board. You can use any encoder that IONI supports.

Kind regards, Esa

If he is meaning to develop his own BiSS-C protocol reader into his system, then I can’t help as such code is not in our Simucube open source codes - it is in the closed source IONI implementation that we can’t just give out.

Ok. Then we need to move forward to other drivers that support absolute encoder.

How would that help? If his firmware needs to read absolute position, he must implement the reader somehow.

In our device, the readout can be read from IONI using the SimpleMotionV2 interface, that is what our Simucube firmware does.

We didn’t understand each other. I made a mistake. Biss c is common protocol. Pinout is already on wiki (because is selling like bissC capable). Stm32 discovery is for that.
We discuss it is better to move forward to 24bit encoder

I have a similar configuration:
IoniCUBE 1X
IoniPRO HC
Mige ST130 M100-10 With Biss-C Encoder
SimpleMotion V2
STM32F407

I also ordered a 10.000 PPR Encoder for another project but I don’t want to use it as I’ve a Biss-C Encoder already mounted on Mige servomotor…
My question is:
How should I connect Biss-C wires to STM32 in order to make everything work?
I red that VNM Firmware supports Biss-C interface and I know that with an incremental encoder you usually have to split “0V”, “A+”, “B+”, “Z+” Signals coming to IoniCUBE1X to reach also STM32 “Gnd”, “PA0”, “PA1”, “PA2”.

Biss-C encoder has only 7 wires (6 mandatory)

does anyone know how should it work?

What firmware will you run on the STM32? MMoS? Or your own?

If MMoS, it only supports incremental encoder, not BiSS. No limitation on Ioni, problem is closed proprietary MMoS STM32 code.

I got the feeling he wants to run that VNM firmware from Github. I do not have any experience with that, as the whole firmware is made to use a different brand of servo drive technology.

Yes, I intended to run VNM one (Which Is Born for AASD drivers) but… for those who have a SimuCube I found that there was an upgrade kit to pass from incremental encoders to Biss-C encoders thus I thought that It was also possible for me even if I’m going to use a IoniCUBE.

Well, you can look here: https://granitedevices.com/wiki/Using_BiSS_encoder

If Hoan supports BiSS via his controller and FW, and you can grab the BiSS signals from that stm board, you should be able to get working setup with ionicube too.

GP12/13 is used for clock and C+/- /index is used for data signals. I am quite sure I have used BiSS B/C many years ago on ionicube/Ioni pro combo for testing something for my small cnc mill project.

So the biggest issue here is to get correct support from Hoan’s controller, both for encoder and control-signal outputs. Do you know if he’s using PWM, or Analog +/-10V? But both will be ok for Ioni Pro /Ionicube setup.