Hight torque activation

The competition you are referring to doesn’t have a true hard-wired e-stop interlock, like the industrial solution available on the Granite Devices series controllers :wink:

Whilst I fully support a permanent (user-selectable) disabling of the high-torque activation request upon device restart, the way that Granite Devices implements e-stop is the proper way to do it. This should not change to a software solution, as opposed to the current hard-wired solution…

Cheers,
Beano

Absolutely excellent news!

Now if there some option to also kill the beeping or lower its volume, that would be even better.

I wouldn’t do it to void the warranty, but I’ve been itching to go find that little beeper/speaker and just soldering a resistor instead.

I like to prime the system before a session, I have many devices to turn on, by the time I get a cup of tea that wheel is beeping :frowning:

You’ll be surprised but this is motor that makes that sound, there is no speaker. :slight_smile:

Correct, it is coming from the stator :wink:

1 Like

I second the beeping deactivation request. I asked for a possibility to avoid that from the very beginning, I tried to get used to it by now, but I simply don’t.

I run the simulator many hours every day for myself and for customers and it’s super annoying to have that beeping going on regularly with eventually having the base shut off the torque all together.

We have to set plenty of things up and by the time we are ready to start the session the wheel beeped along and eventually shuts torque off. In addition when re-anabeling torque while the simulation starts - this is when the de-centering happens…

Anyway I understand it does not bother some useres, or they even favor this process - but they have it implemented already that way - so now it would be nice to find a solution for the useres who are not at all happy with the current beeping workflow.

I am very happy to sign and confirm whatever it takes to have that gone. Legal issues are not the problem here… Broken wrists due to irratic movements like they happened regularly won’t be solved by having the base beeping while not being used…

I start to get bad dreams from being afraid I am too slow with setting the rig up for someone before the beeping and shut down occurs - it’s simply very annoying… : (

cheers,
Bernhard

3 Likes

Why is your E-stop not depressed when you start up the wheel? If it was, there would be no beeping. You would have to release it before using the wheel though.

Oh, well that is interesting. Thanks, this will keep me from having a late night fit reaching for the tool bag.

As one of the early users of OSW wheels, I am in the camp that would luv to see an option for this ‘safety-feature’ to be permanently disabled.

I can see the reason for it being implemented for certain markets, but I believe power-users should have the option to do away with it.

Mika has indicated a work-around for this might be coming, unless I misunderstood - very much looking forward to that release :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Then you forget to release it while the sim starts and there is your first problem.

Also this would not help with the x-times of beeping issues within the next 8-12 hours to come?! And even if you try to get used to using e-stop basically all the time before/after sim start - you make a break, it takes a bit too long, and there you go. Also I don 't see why I have to use the e-stop like 50 times a day as long as I run it in a professional and controlled environment where everyone envolved knows exactly what to do…

So as I said - don’t have an issue with that, and I am happy for you - but some do have an issue with it - a big one, as it bothers us like 20 times a day and I have other things to take care of as caressing the simucube e-stop button all day long… : )

@Bernhard: Fully understand your POV, in full agreement - it is an absolute annoyance to me as well, and I have been using DD since day 1.

I can fully understand GD’s approach in releasing their first DD wheel, covering themselves from a liability perspective, but I am very sure Tero and the Team is studying the best options going forward, will implement the best strategy for both GD and the users.

1 Like

SC2 Ultimate here.

Another vote to get around the constant activation requirement. I bought the best of the best to simply turn it on and go. It may sound ridiculous, but I have very limited time and that’s just another thing to do when I’m trying to get a couple laps in.

Also a vote to allow us to remove the beeping. I posted this on iRacing and was requested to post here instead: my partner has extreme light an sound sensitivity. When she is exposed to the beeping related to trucks backing up, it can literally cause seizure-like symptoms. While the beep from the unit doesn’t last long enough to induce that, it causes here discomfort from the other room.

On the upside: I use my e-stop all the time now (probably desired behavior). However, each time I reactivate it I get the extremely loud triple beep. I know it’s been reactivated since I just physically manipulated the e-stop. Can you at least remove that one?

1 Like

Simucube 2 News and Updates Already in the works

“Correct, it is coming from the stator :wink:

Mind blown. How is this possible?