DD competition is heating up. How will Simucube respond?

Email me at bladerunner2308@hotmail.com As for your settings Imagine that if you use the base at 15 NM in normal driving phases you will be using maybe 10 at most…For example, I always use a profile around 20 NM, but help myself with sfr and slew rate percentages.
In my opinion this leads to the same results as having a profile with 15 newton meters but not using filters. The gain, however, that I feel I have is that there are many more details for the same driveability

Ha, the old DW12 in iRacing was particularly difficult - but funny enough, I set a few WR laptimes in practice with it at very high torque levels, the self-aligning torque on that car was just amazing, and even back then, you could very well feel what the car-balance was doing when on the edge. Rd Atlanta was a handful in it….

I use to run 0.8+ specific output back then, getting a bit older (and hopefully wiser) now, so have backed off a bit. Haven’t been in the radical for a long time, might give it a few laps. But the L79 is also a handful, but quite enjoyable to wrestle around the track at these settings.

Just be very careful with crashing and shoulder-jolts, quite easy to get injuries- always use what is comfortable for you!

I see that team focus completely shifted to ActivePedals, which is totally understandable for a new product teething phase.
Do we have any roadmap or anything on horizon at all for the wheelbases?
New Recon, better UI, telemetry support, is there anything in the pipeline for 2023-24?
Thanks

1 Like

I immediately switched to sc2 as soon as it came out, saddened because I believed that the OSW project was destined to evolve and not to change.However I always believed in the company, I was happy what the sc2 product was at the beginning…But today I have to say that I live the same experience as when I bought it, there hasn’t been an evolutionary step anymore…Yet I still remember when I switched to the sincos encoder how much joy…:rofl:

1 Like

Recon? Yes. UI? Yes, will be a new UI/UX via the Simucube Tuner application. Automatic Profile switching etc is planned to be implemented in Tuner. Telemetry support? Yes, but let’s see what effects we can do without breaking the IRFFB license. Some vibrations at least should be possible.

And Paddock in the Tuner. But default local profiles. And no web based UI, just the backend for sharing. Most likely we could do it faster if we could do it just how it is in Simucube 2 Paddock, but likely not doing it to Tuner due to some background work that would make it not work so well with multiple Simucube devices relying on it.

4 Likes

I have a Sport, so 20Nm aren’t available anyway. When I see how fast F1 drivers are reacting to sudden oversteering it’s obvious that torque at the wheel can’t be extremely high.
Btw, funny fact that I watched quite some of your videos (alongside with the ones from Giorgio Zegretti) and now run into you here…
I’ll mail you, thanks for reply!!

I hope you enjoyed my videos, I’ve always been on this forum and at the beginning they were also very active,I stopped being a bit after a few years in which I no longer saw additional implementations in the feedback, As they already said at the beginning, the roadmap spoke of A reconstruction filter 2 ,Actually I was also expecting some filters in the central part which were only the prerogative of the ultimate version…Modification that would not have cost anything but still would have added a little spice…But then everything moved to the paddock version which I personally have never used…Using profiles of people who probably know a lot less than me I don’t think it’s helpful.In my opinion, to help the average user a newcomer who didn’t know the sc2 world, it would have been enough to give the possibility to move through the filters with weighted values… Reconstruction filter… Do you really need a zero value? You need dumping or friction values Which totally block the steering column? This is to say that it would have been enough to give the possibility of moving only within weighted values…
Having said that I’m still a very happy owner of this base as I know it doesn’t get any better… Every now and then I hear about the release of a version 3 and it makes me smile thinking again about all that could be done with this…

2 Likes

Yeah, I do, you know this: ragazzi (short pause), veramente questo è (good/bad/ok because) is something I really like :rofl:
I speak a bit Italian, understand more than I speak, and I’m close with Emanuele and Michele from VPG.
About filters and Paddock: recon 0 is totally “industrial”, metallic, but clearly shows how good the hardware package from Granite is. Of course it’s not really an option, but I really hate these profiles where the steering wheel feels like a heating controller, a wheel that is turning in glue instead of oil, needs force to only return to the center.
What else do we see in the market than copies of the Simucube 2, DDs with half the resolution, more lag?
I never thought that my hobbies wil have a political aspect, and I never really had the intention to see global markets as the cause of total misery, although I always was aware of the fundamental risks coming with them. But today, I myself wouldn’t buy a Chinese product. Not in simracing and not in every day’s life, if it is possible. I know that Chinese parts are in almost everything, I just see it as an obligation to use alternatives these days.
I really hope that we will get game titles which have their focus on steering wheels/DDs, and not controllers. Because the game physics has to be good in order to make use of the potential of our hardware. And yes, after some time everything becomes a groundhog Day, the same over and over again. I myself see it this way: I don’t mind if it’s a good day🐧

Higher torque, if you are not death gripping the wheel actually in many cases can help you react quicker to oversteer moments as the self aligning torque is higher so the natural tendency for the wheel to correct itself gets higher… The key though comes with experience in that it is to let the wheel do 90% of the reaction and then you guide the rest with throttle inputs and nudging… You can seriously correct some lurid oversteer moments when everything is right… If the wheel is too active (or) when you have caster set to high in your car setup, the car will actually grip on correction in such manner that it will whip the backend in the opposite direction (since you already have no grip on the rear). This is where lower slew rates help and a super active wheel does not.

To add a bit… this is actually why real race car drives MAKE the wheel look much lighter than it really is… they are only using force when needed… Well that and they are in MUCH better physical shape with regards to the muscles being used than most anyone as generally the muscles being used to drive a car well are NOT those that you use much in day to day activity… They are also not the muscles that would ever make you look built which is why most race car drivers don’t look much different than an average person and not like “Arnold” when you just see them normally.

@bsohn I think you and I have been in this to long :rofl:

Yea probably true lol… lol… always learning something new though…

I understand what you say. That’s why I use 100 torque at TF for Assetto Corsa, for the Hybrid F1 cars, and 60 overall gain.
And I just mentioned these very high damping and friction settings. Some paddock profiles are using so much friction that my steering wheel starts to oscillitate.
Maybe I missed something?
Edit: to check tyres I use this

it is actually surprising that friction would cause any oscillation (as normally it kills oscillations and too much the reel of the wheel). However, with AC and ACC they do use Direct Input Effects to alter filters on demand and this could be causing strange imbalances in the balance of filters within the wheel.

Damping also shouldn’t generally cause oscillatory behavior as both filters generally act to reduce movement. Inertia however if high and the other filters are reduced by Effect types could cause some unwanted effects.

This is not accurate. By default it’s only stationary condition when DI Damper is active.
“On demand” damping aka Gyro or Dynamic Damping is just Constant Force.

If I remember correctly it’s oscilatting outside of any games. I never used it in a title. I think I mentioned it to @Mika. But can’t remember when, and what original post was about.
Oscillation is maybe the wrong word. But it’s starts to vibrate once you move the steering wheel. And it was definitely not in a game.

Yea that would be an oddity… definitely.

I didn’t store the video I made back then. But it is/was easy to see

New player. 30Nm, someone call Beano. :grin:

On QR

the plan is to have a quick-release system with wireless power and communication that supports third-party brands

Haha, I will check it out, cheers Andrew :wink:

1 Like