Brand new Simucube 2 Sport feels terrible in Assetto Corsa and randomly loses FFB or decides to go full lock

They are part of CM aren’t they? The short names didn’t tell me anything. Thanks very much, very kind!

Why do I hit reply and the software does a posting instead??

A don’t worry this how it is done…
No they are not part of CM. For SOL you need to add it manually as per the instructions, check race department, and it is necessary for CSP…otherwise you might have issues with the lighting in CSP.

They are integrated to CM yes, but at least SOL can be used without it also afair.

Thanks for your help. I have to check in out because the 2nd answer I got says the total opposite. But this is ok then both of you are willing to help. Appreciate!

I got a different answer and gonna check out. Your help is very kind,I appreciate! That’s what can happen, I’ll let you know who was right

Yep sorry, meant that CSP can be used without SOL.

I am not sure if that has been fixed lately, but in older csp versions i would get terrible sun beams blinding me in some occasions without SOL. It actually took me some to understand what the issue was…

Thank you all for your help and your comments about my sim rig.

I went back to the Simucube 2 after a week without sim racing. I did what Marko @ Granite asked, I removed True Drive and reinstalled and created a new profile using the last settings that felt the best to me previously (from Andrew_WOT)

The first thing I did was fire up an AC challenge for a car and a track that I know very well “Drying the Lake” (Lamborghini Huracan Performante @ Laguna Seca). My times were about 0.7 off my PB but I didn’t care about that as much as I did the “feel.”

Was it drivable? Completely but it just felt lifeless. I didn’t feel any surface texture mostly just I’m on the road or I’m on the curb or I’m on the gravel but nothing different about the road. Also the feedback when going straight or with small movements wasn’t very pronounced. It was smooth and it had weight/torque when cornering and I could easily save spins. All of this tells me it is working correctly, but it didn’t wow me at all and left me wanting more and even after a week away I knew I was missing something.

Because it left me wanting more and could not justify spending $1500 to get WORSE FFB I needed to make sure I wasn’t imagining something. I carefully removed the Simucube 2 from my rig and reinstalled the AccuForce Pro V2 wheelbase. My wheel, the Cube Controls GT-X stayed the same.

I thought maybe too much time would have passed taking the Simucube off and installing the AccuForce but the minute I drove off in “Drying the Lake” the feeling in the FFB was present. The wheel had weight to it even just driving straight like there were tires involved. I could feel the texture/vibrations of the road, subtle little details were coming to me through the wheel that were missing on the Simucube.

I only intended to do some test laps as none of the wires were cable tied in place and I still had tools all around my sim rig and I didn’t have my driving shoes or gloves on. I ended up setting a new PB by 0.2. Go figure… but more importantly the FFB was smooth and informative and what I was expecting. When I purchased the Simucube 2 I was expecting it to be vastly superior and improve upon what I already had not to be worse!

I wasn’t using SimCommander 4. Just a simple profile that is saved to the wheel firmware. Mode High, Intensity 100%, Smoothing 1.2% and Stop Spring 6.3% the rest of the settings are 0%. Nothing special at all.

I have to assume after this A/B test that the raw FFB coming from AC works much better with the AF than whatever Simucube is doing to the signal with their motor. Simucube may be more optimized for other titles, but that is of no benefit to me and I am totally shocked to experience such a difference between these wheelbases especially one costing this much. I wanted to love the Simucube, it looks way nicer than the AccuForce and the QR is fantastic but it just doesn’t live up to the hype (in Assetto Corsa).

1 Like

Something is definitely off, either High Torque does not activate properly, or you are stuck in Read Only Profile. Also your earlier report on wheel randomly loosing torque and going “limp” makes me think of some HW issue.
Sorry that your first experience with SC2 is marred, hopefully either your retailer or GD will help you sort it out.
Did you try to capture log, may be something is in there? Read tray_icon_and_command_line_instructions.txt for instruction on how to.

@TurboJLo If you used the same CM settings (Andrew _WOT) with both wheels and the Accuforce felt a lot better then this is weird and i can think of the following:

1. There is something off with your Sport unit (as Andrew suggested already)
  2. SC2s have a weaker/softer/smoother center compared to other DD units. I believe Accuforce being a stepper motor must have a stronger and rougher center than your sport and that is why you are able to feel more pronounced the small movements around the center. A few of us have noticed this and have been asking GD to unlock the gamma filter on the SC pro and sport to try and solve this. Without being 100% sure, i think one of the issues my settings are trying to solve is this.

So if your unit is not faulty, i think with the right settings tuned to your personal preference and taste a good solution can be found for a better feeling than the Accuforce. But this is up to you.

1 Like

Hi!
Think is time for you to sell the Simucube 2. I lately read a post somewhere asking if someone is selling a used revision 2. One replied that a person doing so would be crazy (sorry, DON’T TAKE THIS PERSONAL because it isn’t!!). Clearly you want something you already like and…why not. On top you have it already at home so would be strange to go on struggle. Who knows when people owing a Simucube revision (or is it release?) 1 gonna go for a R2. Some may struggle aswell. Anyway the wind blows…do it your own way.
Greetings, enjoy the weekend and stay safe

Good afternoon!
Is great to see how much effort you invest helping! Unfortunately as long as one is able to provide “is a Simucube pretending to be an Accuforce” settings he won’t be happy, I assume

@CLAYREGAZZONI

Look I’m not trying to upset any Simucube owners here. I am just sharing my experience and I am confused and disappointed. I WANTED this to be better and replace my AccuForce!

I’ve wasted a huge amount of time and money on this situation. I am not interested in sinking hours upon hours to make a $1500 wheelbase perform the same or slightly better than a one costing half as much.

IF it is even possible to get there in Assetto Corsa. There is no guarantee at this point. Look at it from my PoV. How is it worth double the price if I eventually get it to be the same or slightly better? It’s not worth my time or effort or the money to chase this any longer.

It is also a huge turn off to have to go crazy tuning/configuring to get it to work when the AccuForce works with minimal settings. For AC the Simucube isn’t delivering $1500 worth of performance. It’s not even delivering equal performance at this stage. If you were in my shoes would you keep it? If so why??? I want to drive I don’t want to spend the time I have to sim race tuning and configuring and bolting and unbolting wheels from my rig 100 times.

@Panschoin

No no! I didn’t use the Simcube settings in CM or CSP for the AccuForce. I put everything back the way it was for the AccuForce with my saved profiles in CM. I do miss the hardware steering lock though, that was a nice feature!

You mention stepper motor and smoothness I find it interesting that when unpowered I can feel the “steps” in the AccuForce but when powered up and in action it’s just as smooth as the Simucube.

And yes you are exactly right the on center, return to center and feedback of the wheel and virtual wheels to want to self center is much better and more realistic on the AccuForce and I am sure this is a large reason for the difference. You can test this in the real world on a real car. Just go to a parking lot and turn the car, accelerate and let go of the steering wheel. The forward force of the car will cause the front tires to automatically straighten out. In Autocross for example when doing tight cornering on to a straight away the fastest way is to let the wheel slide in your grip and auto center rather than trying to manually turn the wheel back to center. This is a real world feeling and should be present in any decent sim/wheelbase right from the FFB/telemetry data.

@Andrew_WOT

High torque works and was auto enabled. I could set the wheel so strong I could barely move it. It had full torque. I never once complained about it being low on power. It was low on feedback in general and missing the fine details completely.

I looked at the logs, they were all normal nothing odd in them. I never got any warnings or errors or notifications from True Drive. The strange complete loss of force feedback only seemed to happen either on my old settings or because I was using hot lap mode. Based on my prior searching I think there is a bug in hot lap mode that can cause this but I can’t easily find a link back to this at the moment.

@All that PM’d me offering help

Thank you for your offers to help me figure this out! But I am not interested in taking the AccuForce off AGAIN and installing the Simucube AGAIN. Even if we got it to be acceptable or similar to the AccuForce it’s just not worth the time and money and hassle to duplicate what I already have. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. I was expecting this wheelbase to take what I already have any make it EVEN better. I realize at this level the law of diminishing returns applies and it’s not like I was going from a G29 or a belt driven Clubsport to a true DD. I did not expect it to be double the performance of the AccuForce but I was expecting it to be better FFB, smoother, etc. There are some great features to the Simucube like the QR, the smaller physical size and weight, the smoothness and the hardware lock (in CM) but at the end of the day if I don’t feel a connection to the virtual road/wheels/tires then it’s not an upgrade for me.

@TurboJLo fair enough, you are convinced that the Accuforce is the right thing for you and maybe it is, but if you were absolutely happy with it, then why did you even bother trying to upgrade? It is true, going from a DD wheel to another DD wheel of course it wont be night and day situation, but if you spend the time taming the new beast, it should be worth it.

In that case you are not comparing apples to apples. You should have checked both wheels with the same CM or CSP settings.

Mate i have never tried Accuforce, this is from what i have seen in reviews etc. I am sure it is not as bad as they say it is…

This is the reason i am using very different settings from other people in this thread. Trying to aim for real life experience and i think i am as close as it gets. I wish i had the chance to try AC with Accuforce to compare but this is not possible.

Anyway i guess you have made your decision already and either way i hope you wont regret it.

Maybe you are right mate. It is just that there is a learning curve to anything we do. I am always happy to help as i know how confusing it can be with these wheels. I understand exactly what TurboJlLo means with the FFB he gets from AC and i am pretty sure this is it due to the gyro in CM. I get exactly the same thing if i turn this on. This is not the fault of the SC2 and if he uses his Accuforce with it, he should probably get similar feeling. If we take the Steering Feedback Foundation of Accuforce (which i understand he is not using anyway) out of the equation, then the SC2 is by far the better wheel (stronger, smoother, quicker, etc.). You can always make a better wheel (motor) behave as a lesser wheel if you want. But the thing is that with the better wheel you have more options. Anyway i guess this is now done and decided.

1 Like

Hi mate! Totally like what you wrote: that a Simucube is capable to make a good wheel behaving “average” made me laugh because took it as a cool joke. But is absolutely true when we as users make the wrong decisions in TD aswell by the choose of hardware will be used with it.
I once told Mika that I saw an online profile for F1 that has slew rate limited to 0 and asked, if this makes any sense (it doesn’t). With this in mind I’m pretty sure that following someone elses philosophy (even it doesn’t include obvious crapp) can totally mislead and you get lost.
You made me realize that the gap in hardware quality (from rig to handbrake so to say) is bigger than I thought even in the top segment and the Simucube is the heart of our system. If you are not happy with the heartbeat what will you be happy with? Nothing. My rally hero “Takegaki” was racing with a G29 for years and was/is insanely quick with damage on realistic. Now using a DD made him quicker and a Simucube would make him quicker again, I’m sure… unless he wants that exact FFB from the G29. I wonder how to find it with a load cell brake though

1 Like

I do WRC 9 and the self alignment is THE MOST IMPORTANT setting, I agree. But that setting is in my case an in-game and has nothing to do with the Simucube

Just a piece of advice different sims might need very different settings. For one sim changing the slew rate might be useless, for another it might make sense. For example if you see my AC settings i have it almost as low as it gets because otherwise the rotation speed is unreal. Simply the SC pro i have is an overkill for AC. But also this depends on the balance with the other settings either the CM or TD. Judging someone settings from 1 single filter is wrong and inconclusive and i am not talking for obvious mistakes like differences in DOR or like using 100 strength in TD for Dirt Rally 2 which might be dangerous. What you could do is check the settings before you judge and see if they suit you or they make some sense. I have tried most posted settings in this forum, some totally suck, others are ok but do not suit my taste, others are good. In all case by doing this i was able to get a better understanding about what filters do and how i can better use them for myself. As i have said many times there is a learning curve.

1 Like

It was about F1 and to total 0, thanks for all the help!:+1: