Automobilista 2 - Simucube 2

I mean that even if I put 2 or 3 % of damping, for example, I feel like an artificial effect.

2 Likes

Well, it is an effect. Like the physics from the game engine. Those from Granite are there in cases where game developers didn’t do a good job. For me, WRC9 is a good example. I don’t use anything because I like it the way it is

Yeah, I was talking about Automobilista 2, but in general the same in all the simulators. :smiley:

Sure! I know what you are talking about.
Too much in Constant Op Filters and you lose the ability to feel the car over ridges, or in snappy situations like Bathrust.
But C.O.F. too low and you are a passenger of the FFB signal losing all center forces because FFb is moving in the center zone creating oscillations.

If you are at the limit of SC2 Torque VS natural weight and flywheel inertia (e.g. too low torque on a heavy wheel), you should need C.O.F. as low as possible, but it is also necessary to control the torques of 5-8 Nm, so it is mandatory to use C.O.F. until a certain point.

The best part is that you can adjust your profiles by editing the imported .ini settings and get REAL use out of your Simucube 2 base.
Each filter (D,F,I) has a granularity of decimals, so between 0 and 1%, we can find that there are 9 possible steps.

For example:
1% damping is fine but not perfect, 2% is too much.
“Profile1\servo_damping=15” in the .ini file and in TD it will show as Damping 1.5%

In the following screenshot you can see the profile I am working on, it is for the TM Open Wheel and the minimum weight possible with SQR2:

1 Like

Most everyone has their own very personal preferences regarding FFB characteristics. FFB is not a one-size fit’s all scenario, despite many efforts to make it so.

The way I tune FFB today is very much different than it was in my early days with DD-wheels. I used to be happy with granular & loose floppy ffb but, over time, arrived at more refined and controlled behavior that better emulates how real-life cars steering works.

At some point, I realized that there is a very fine balance to be struck among the various effects. Of course, not everyone wants to drill down to that same level, and that’s totally understandable.

20% Damping applied by COF, may seem extreme but let’s not forget that the scale has changed from SC1 tuning settings (only = 2% there).

In the end, it’s about the steering characteristics matching our preferences. Hopefully, that also means optimal control as well but, that may also vary per person, depending on performance / immersion / realism priorities / response time, etc.

1 Like

The thing about this thinking that actually doesn’t make sense is that if it feels like the real thing then that’s it! While you might want to tune for a different feeling beyond normal car tuning changes the feel of the vehicle comes from the factory and if the ffb feels exactly like the real thing then that should be good for everyone equally. It comes down to how the car feels and no matter who gets in the whatever car in real life it will feel the same to everyone who drives it.

The problem is how much it still does or doesn’t feel like the real thing and what compromises each of us wants to make. In the end the panacea of perfectly real if obtained will be good for all and it should be.

so anybody here have any decent ffb setting for ams2 on sc2 pro?
I swear everytime I try to run it I wonder why I still have this “thing” in my Steam library…what a mess of a sim.

2 Likes

You can try these if you like. They feel good in the Brazilian stock cars but not in everything

2 Likes

Not the last word in refinement, but not sure if there is more you can squeeze out of it with OEM profiles.

4 Likes

What custom profiles have you tried?

The Default profiles require the in-Game Damping to be 30-50%, imo. I also use 12-18% friction in TD.
LFB can also alter how the cornering forces ramp up. I usually run very little - if any LFB but, increasing it to 10-15% can result in very different feel. The LFB and Damping do not scale very aggressively so, more can be applied than we may think. The way these default profiles are designed, they don’t work well without plenty of Damping, imo.

The tire carcasses in AMS2 are currently undergoing further refinement. The New F1 & Stockcar 2021 / 2022 have them, more car classes are being worked on now. These changes do seem to be having positive results in terms of the overall handling, imo.

No doubt, such changes will also bring some new custom ffb profiles. Even with the many choices available, I still prefer a tweaked version (to personal preference). For now, I keep testing new custom profiles (for DD) as they emerge and make minor tweaks.

1 Like

My setting
file custom in FFB
ffb_custom_settings.txt (48.8 KB)

GAIN 30-40
LOW FORCE BOOST 1
FX 20
DAMPING 0
MENU SPRING 0

2 Likes

Just picked up AMS 2 and have some difficulties setting up simucube 2 pro. For now I am using the AMS 2 Realistic setting from TD paddock and having some issues with wheel shake. Every time I let go of the wheel, it shakes like crazy. I have the gain set to 25% in game so not sure why it shakes so violently. Any suggestions on how to fix would be appreciated.

wheel shake on dd seems to be hardcoded into the madness engine unfortunately, same as pc2…I still have hope Reiza will someday fix it, but given the lack of any true support for high end products I am not too confident

No oscillation here at all but, I do run a good amount of Friction / Damping in all games.

Hi guys, I’ve progressed from hot lapping to actual racing and as such have never had experience with racing other cars.

Today I had a great race, but my SC2 Ultimate nearly broke my wrist! I don’t drive with very high FFB set in game.
AMS2 set to Deafault+
Gain = 18
FX = 10
Other settings at 0.
I also run most cars between 60 and 70% gain override.

I do have the True Drive strength at 100% though. Is there some type of setting that can reduce this jolt behaviour when hit by another car, I mean my wrist is still hurting as I type this , lol.

Try inverting those strength settings for starters (20-30% output in TD / 50-70% in AMS2).

AMS2 has the potential for abrupt ffb events (Any title does, really). It makes sense to reduce the risk by lowering output at the servo level, so an errant signal doesn’t cause a major ffb spike.

1 Like

I don’t know if you guys experience this as well, but the cars that already received carcass upgrades feel like driving on gravel for me. I already asked about it in the Reiza forums and it seems like adjustments to the FFB are coming some day, but probably not before all cars have been updated, at least I’d guess that would be the case.

If anybody also has that gravely feeling, were you able to work around it somehow apart from applying really high filter settings in TD?

Are you using Default+, how it feels with FX at 0?

I’ve tried several things, a few just now. Default and Default+ don’t really make a difference, neither do the ingame sliders change much. FX at 0 in both profiles reduces the gravel a bit, but it’s still very prominent. LFB is at zero, Damper at 15. Changing those values also doesn’t help, neither does chaning anything in Truedrive apart from filter. The best currently is FX 0 and Recon Filter 6 or 7, but that already feels quite dull and not much fun to use for me.

I was hoping somebody had the same issue and could work around it either with settings (which I doubt now after testing) or with a custom FFB file. The highly praised rFuktor doesn’t eliminate the gravel either.

I’m also surprised that not everybody seems to have this issue. There are a few people, but even other people with a SC2 don’t seem to have that. I’m on the latest version of TD and the appropriate Firmware, maybe that has something to dow ith it?

try this custom file. Remember that to actually activate the file you have to redo the wheel calibrationffb_custom_settings new.txt (48.8 KB)

1 Like