Automobilista 2 - Simucube 2

I am on these settings and do not experience anything unusual, in fact FFB clearly improved for the better.

1 Like

Yes, there is a noticeable increase in the amount of useless road noise (constant small spikes/rattling when going straight and not pushing the tyre) in the FFB output after the 1.3.5 update which stiffened the tyres on some cars. Setting FX effects to 0 reduces this noise however it also completely removes important tyre effect provided by FX setting - understeer vibration.
Otherwise the stiffened tyres also provide more defined feel and finally doesnā€™t drive like vintage tyres (Pcars-esque ā€œhovercraftingā€) in terms of grip feel and availability.

Thank you for your suggestions @easy81 and @Andrew_WOT. Sadly neither the custom file nor the settings helped my issue, but to be honest I already somewhat expected that after my testing yesterday. Which version of TrueDrive are you guys on? Iā€™m on the latest 2022.5, maybe that makes a difference?

Anyways, Iā€™ll just be patient and give it a rest until the FFB is adapted by Reiza to fit the new carcass stiffness :slight_smile:

I use the same settings like @Andrew_WOT, with 1 difference: I have in game gain at 50 and True Drive at 50 to 60 (sport). FFB is surprisingly good. Maybe my expectations were extremely low based on the reports I had been reading before actually driving AMS2. And, as always, Iā€™m driving open wheelers. I donā€™t suffer from spikes, harsh jolts or similar.

CORRECTION:
In game settings:
ā€¢Gain 50
ā€¢No damping
ā€¢No low FFB
ā€¢No FX
True Drive:
ā€¢ overall torque 55% of Sport
ā€¢ recon 1 unlimited
ā€¢ No damping
ā€¢ No friction
ā€¢ No inertia
ā€¢ Static force reduction 10%

I canā€™t say Iā€™ve noticed this gravelly feel but maybe Iā€™m just not sensitive to it.

Youā€™re welcome to give my probably unconventional settings a try while you wait for things to possibly change.

Some info:
Iā€™m using Karstenā€™s 4.6 Delta X custom file with a couple of modified lines to lower some unwanted feedback I got from both engine vibration and brakes.

Note: With this file, in game damping slider controls power steering so use TD for additional damping. Also, you will get heavy oscillations if you remove both hands from the wheel so under no circumstances should you attempt to scratch your balls mid drive. You have been warned :crazy_face:

ffb_custom_settings.txt (48.9 KB)

1 Like

You are using so old firmware that there is some change of driving feeling after those early versions. Posting those is not very relevant.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:ā€¦ just great!!

2021.9 here. May be you need to clean up Ams2 documents folder.

So you introduced a realistic gravel effect. If thatā€™s the case Iā€™m glad I stayed with my so old firmware.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s been cleaned up after the first batch of updated cars, v1.3.5 I think that was, but Iā€™ll try it anyways. The none updated cars are still fine. They donā€™t handle as well, but they donā€™t feel like going offroad all the time :slight_smile:

Thanks @EsxPaul, Iā€™ll give your custom file a try. Like I said, if i canā€™t find a workaround Iā€™ll drive the not-yet-updated cars or just sit it out.

1 Like

Would you be able to explain what those changes in ā€˜driving feelingā€™ might be?

There arenā€™t any additional constantly operating filter settings or sliders between the very oldest and newest TD versions that I can see so Iā€™d be interested to know what you think Iā€™m missing out on.

We changed the servo drive tuning and algorithms to reduce audible noises, and those can have some effect on the FFB feel.

Thatā€™s a good thing for sure but there must be something more tangible in order for any settings that I post to be irrelevant to users of the newer firmware, no?

1 Like

I canā€™t remember exactly. I will look at git logs when I have time. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Total mystery then, any specific car/track combo to try, Iā€™ve used 3 or 4 different cars, GT3, old Porsche, and retro Formula, all is smooth, I do not get anything like extra annoying road noise you describe.
Can it be my FW which is 2021.9?

Yeah itā€™s weird that thereā€™s such differences between different SC2 bases, thereā€™s only a handful of people over in the Reiza forums complaining about the grainy feeling on DD wheels with lots of them seemingly not having that issue.

I guess it could be the firmware, or maybe thereā€™s sublte differences in the wheelbases depending on when they were manufactured, like maybe something changed in the motors between production runs. Things like that happen sometimes. Itā€™s not a terribly violent shaking or anything, but it is pronounced enough to be a nuicance and causes the wheelbase motor to make audible noises as well as it moves back and forth constantly. Think of the engine vibration effect they added to Default+ but constant as long as the tires have grip when the car is moving and getting stronger with more suspension load and turning of the wheel in corners.

Iā€™ll try downgrading the firmware and see if that changes anything.

For testing, basically itā€™s any of the updated cars. GT3s are among those. My go-to test combos were the F-Classic G3M2 and the Ultima Race at Kansai and the F-USA G2 Reynard at Road America. Stiffer suspension cars feel grainier, eg the F-Classics are worse than the Ultima. The old Porsche and F-Retros have not yet been updated, those are fine.

This is/was already mentioned and discussed several times, for example:

Itā€™s maybe a good idea to invest some time in reading posts available in the community. 2 hours wonā€™t really cover the spectrum

I read that thread a few months back, but I donā€™t have a general issue with grainyness, itā€™s specific to the updated cars in AMS2. Whatā€™s curious is that @Andrew_WOT does not have that, so I was speculating on what the culprit could be. Firmware differences could be a possibility.

Isnā€™t this the logical explanation then? Rather than the firmware?

Youā€™re misunderstanding.

The question never was what causes the grainy feeling for me. I know itā€™s the stiffer tire carcass on the updated cars transferring a lot of road noise which cannot be tuned out currently. Iā€™ve stated this in my first post on the matter yesterday. The question is, why do other people report to not have that same grainy feeling. Maybe heed your own advice and read the posts here.

Itā€™s not firmware btw, I just tried 2021.9, same thing.