Assetto Corsa Competizione

Do you mean the ‘springy’ exaggerated spot around center that makes it very tough to catch the car in an oversteer scenario, because you are fighting the unusual forces near center?

I also noticed today that the rotation of the in game wheel stops long before that of the real wheel, so maybe worth trying 540 just for that!
Are you still using DI-Dampening effects or in game Dynamic Dampening?
I felt that perhaps increasing this helped with the unwanted effects of the wheel near center, but introduced a ‘numb’ feel.

I’m using 36% gain in game, with Simucube at 100% (small Mige).

Was interesting what Brion said about the DI sliders, but not sure I truly understood.
Was he saying that just increase them all to 100 and they will only make any difference if the game can use them?

1 Like

@Mika

Can you comment on davek2019 post regarding chaning the torque bandwidth setting in Simucube?
Would be good to understand some of these settings and have your feedback since you know everything about this.

Thanks.

He seems to have the torque bandwidth limit set at 330 Hz. It is a low pass filter, and setting this as low as this might reduce some intended FFB signals. But as long as the Driver likes it, it is good :slight_smile:

Yes exactly. I don’t use the dynamic dampening because it just makes it worse and numbs the ffb even more. Yes I have the di effects on but I couldn’t feel where they did anything. Ive tried them on and off. I don’t understand why the in game gains are so low. If im not mistaken are small mige users about 50 for most sims? I noticed the same problem in AC if you turn the in game gain down too far its like the ffb collapses and it feels really lifeless.

I forgot to mention there is a note in the beta release note for fixed wrong dor for certain wheels but it doesn’t say which ones. So maybe that’s some of the problem but I haven’t got to try it.

I currently borrow a T500 wheel and I cannot for the life of me get the FFB to be meaningful on ACC. No matter what extremes I try on ffb settings I don’t feel much difference, and it’s like driving a Volvo 135 tractor without servo. The owner of the wheel said the same was well, he tried it in ACC, and it was just not happening. So this might not be a Simucube issue, but more on the game.

I tried your 540 degrees in Simucube and same in ACC.
This doesn’t work, the in game wheel and real wheel are not aligned.
Choosing 900, 1080 or even 1180 in both Simucube and ACC seem to work.

Also, with ACC I find that I have to add a lot of friction and inertia (main Simucube sliders - NOT the DI sliders) to stop the wheel oscillating out of control and/or shaking at higher speeds.
Attaching image of my Simucube config -this is about as low as I can go without the wheel acting insane (around the center) during oversteer situations where you have to ‘catch’ the wheel in counter-steering scenarios.

I’m also seeing videos of people using the Podium DD2, and they seem to be doing what someone in here mentioned:
Setting the in game ‘Gain’ to 100%, and then reducing the actual DD wheel power - this is completely the opposite of what we do in every other title, and the rationale has always been that we want the full capability of the motor for ensuring all the details, then reduce the in game strength?

It’s a real shame that so much ‘fiddling’ needs to be done with these wheels to get things even close to playable.
I’m sure the game is also to blame, but until SIM developers actually bother to include tested Simucube profiles, it’s often not worth all the hassle.
The rf2 profile wasn’t even very good and needed work.

Sorry, I have just wasted way too many hours trying to tweak things to just work.

@Mika - is the SC2 more ‘friendly’ than SC1, or still requires a lot of work to get it to feel right in some SIM’s?

Also, from the attached youtube video showing the Podium wheel, you can see that the owner is changing the actual motor effects (spring, braking etc). These would seem to be comparable to our ‘DirectInput Filters’, yet ours don’t seem to do anything?
The Podium seems to be much ‘livelier’ than my SC1, you can see the feedback in the users hands.
What are we doing wrong here that this doesn’t seem to be the case with Simucube?

Could you help explain this, Iam likely wrong in making the assumption, but we all have to learn!
Thanks

1 Like

As a manufacturer, we are expecting to be able to send development units for game developers, so yes, it will be better. Also having always the very same motors helps a lot, no worries of differing motor and encoder and PSU setups.

These are not actual motor effects, they are canned effects produced by their controller.

Simucube 2 and Podium motors are, by their nature, more power efficient and reactive to most of the popular motors used in Simucube 1. For Simucube 2, we have developed the slew rate limiter filter to enable drivers to also simulate sluggish motors such as the Large Mige.

Thanks Mika, as always your dedication is appreciated.

Any chance we could all see some ‘canned’ effect options for SIM’s that need some help?
:slight_smile:

A lot of filters are in development or on the drawing board right now. It remains to be seen what is finally going to be get on the Simucube 2 Ultimate early access filter list and based on the feedback, then also for other users. There is also a plan to make a Simple Profiles UI where there will be only 3-4 sliders to adjust, with an option to go to advanced mode. We don’t want to confuse newcomers with any more filters that do not have any real-life explanations to non-engineers.

@Mika

I noticed today that when the Dynamic Dampening in game is on, the Simucube Config Tool shows a little ‘o’ icon next to Dampening in the DI filters, which would seem to indicate that it’s on and being used?

Or am I missing something (again)?
:slight_smile:

1 Like

at least the effect is created. A filled O would indicate active usage of the effect parameters. However, it will have no effect as your slider is at 0%, so it will be turned off from Simucube side. All game developers expect that the Directinput sliders are at 100%, however due to DD systems having powerful motors, maybe 20% damping and friction is better starting point.

Thanks Mika!
I will try that.

I’m currently trying out a few different configs, as you can see I have lowered the Simucube strength in favor of putting the in game gain at 100%, but to be honest I am not sure if it’s any different than the Simucube at 100% and in game at 36%!!

There is something that’s very noticeable, and just plain bizarre.
When I am turning into a corner, there’s resistance in terms of forces, but absolutely no road detail?
Every corner.
So either ACC’s version of Spa has polished corner road surfaces, or something else is happening.
Even the effects of rumble strips are being reduced, they have much more detail when the car is not turning.

I wonder if this is in game clipping?

PS - I have Dynamic Dampening in game at 0% - so you are saying the Simucube recognizes it as a useable function, even if it’s at 0% in game?

1 Like

I had similar experience with ACC at Monza. My thought is that it is some internal FFB clipping happening in their game…

Were you running in-game gain at 100%?
If not, then there’e probably nothing more that can be done and I should once again forget about this title.

Hopefully AMS really acknowledge the opportunity they have with AMS 2 using the Madness engine, which graphically is good.
If they can faithfully incorporate their physics, they may have a great thing on their hands, especially with this ACC disaster.

Kunos have removed the VR logo from both steam and their main ACC page - not a good sign at all.

2 Likes

I was running with pretty much default settings using Simucube 1. I’ll try with different gains next time.

Ive been trying to tell them this since very early ea. That exactly what I experience and feels exactly like AC with the in car gain set too high. All the road detail goes away and you just get a heavy wheel. Its like the gain values for ACC are set way too high for DD wheels. Ive been trying to find a way to turn it down in the game files but haven’t found anything so far.

1 Like

So we know that the DI Dampening filter works - the little ‘o’ symbol turned black when I turned up in game.

Mika suggested turn up friction, but that doesn’t seem to be an in-game feature, unless it’s hidden in an ini file?
I’m guess he was talking about the main 3 sliders in Simucube (not DI filters).

Definitely needs to be 1.00-2.00 to help with that snap back around center.

I’m bored, otherwise I would just play something else.
My OCD kicked in.

I meant the DI filters. Good defaults for all of them is NOT 0%, that just breaks many games.

Although ACC seems to use only damping as per your test says.

That’s the problem for me with the large mige at 100 on the wheel its already so heavy even at 5-7 for game gain I cant add anything without making it heavier.

Ok, so turn the DI Effects to 100% in Simucube, then turn down to 20-30% in game when they are active.
Even the Sine, Square, Sawtooth and Triangle?

If the game doesn’t use them, then the sliders will have no effect anyway, right?

Thanks Mika.