Assetto Corsa and SimuCUBE

As I understand it, the DI-dampening only affects the stationary steering resistance, nothing more. From my brief testing, that seems to be the case.

DI dampening is used for Gyro effect.

Gyro=1 but DI damping at 2% is a nosense at all

so if you set DI damping at 2% you are not using Gyro …well in fact a 2%…

if you set 100 gain in simucube and then adjust master gain in game i think is good to put in direct input Damper at half of the value of your gain inside AC.

1 Like

Thx for tour reply. If i keep it o. 100% i get an insane oscillation. Not a slow one with big turns but some kind of 500hz super intensive. What do you suggest to eliminate this.

So the directinput dampening is not only effects while parking but all the time?

If you are going to use gyro then set directinput damping , more or less 25% for a small mige , 15% for Big mige and lenze servos.
Do not add any more inertia, friction or damping ,

If you are not going to use gyro , just set the directinput damping to the value you feel is fine to get resistance in the wheel when the car is parked.

1 Like

I will try that after work. What level of recon do you recommend? currently for assetto I use 3, for Iracing I have 5 (to get the same smoothness level).

i have recon 1.

Regards

Hi itried it with recon 1 gyro enabled and directinput damper 15%, unlimited tbw all other things at 0. The result was ok. No oscillation, smooth feeling.

Tried it at 50% damper, same result no real differenc ein feeling, perhaps a bit bigger force was needed to turn the wheel while parked.

That’s been my experience as well and as I recall as stated by Stefano (Kunos), is as designed (only affects the resistance when car is not moving).

seems to be absolutely valid! anyway that’s my only problem with simucube. there is no official end user documentation about FFB settings in different games. Everybody is doing a try and error approach.

We are planning to include the best stuff from the forums into the user guide.

2 Likes

Don’t misunderstand me, I love my simucube and the bug fixes and the support through this forum is fantastic! This end user guide would help simucube to grow and to reach new customers (real consumers :slight_smile: not fanatics like us ).

lets start with the official statement:

http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/ffb-damper-and-its-effects.27859/

according to Kunos (Stefano Castillo) Directinput damping works ONLY when the car is parked to give resistance to the steering wheel.

he doesnt clarify how gyro works, there is not official statement about if gyro uses damping or not to eliminate oscillations.

i did some kind of tests.

test 1

Gyro=0 DIrectinpunt damping=0

no resistance when car is parked, a lot of oscillations on high speed in straight line as soon as i leave my hands off the wheel.

test 2

Gyro=0 Directinput damping= 45%

i get resistance when the car is parked, a lot of oscillations on high speed in straight line as soon as i leave my hands off the wheel.

test 3

Gyro=1 DIrectinpunt damping=0 , no resistance when car is parked, very little to not at all oscillations on high speed in straight line as soon as i leave my hands off the wheel. (gyroscopic effect is working) , if i force the steering wheel to have oscillations (little movement to one side and then leave it , gyro is not able to stop oscillations once it start oscillarting) , it CAN prevent oscillations but CAN NOT “dampen” them to finish them.

test 4

Gyro=1 DIrectinpunt damping=45% , i get resistance when the car is parked, NO oscillations at all on high speed in straight line as soon as i leave my hands off the wheel. (gyroscopic effect is working) , if i force the steering wheel to have oscillations (little movement to one side and then leave it , gyro IS ABLE to stop oscillations once it start oscillarting)

so , i can be wrong , but there is a clear difference in gyro effect (more powerfull) when directinput effects are in use.

without gyro i can feel better how FFB decreases when understeer comes , and the FFB stiffness does not increase on high speed as much as it does with gyro on.

this is totaly oposite to the official statement anyway.

Regards.

Then it’s likely an unintended by-product of DI-dampening within AC using the Gyro effect and I doubt Kunos are aware of it. I’m not sure it’s something they will address at this point in any case but, thank you for the detective work. :slight_smile:

The under-steer effect is quite abrupt in AC so it’s not something I’ve missed. Of course, there is the option to enable the “enhanced” version if that is something you want to increase.

Well, there was something i said a few days ago and i was wrong.
I said that you need DI damping to use gyro , but gyro doesnt need DI damping to work fine.

I tried upping my DI dampening from 12% to 25% yesterday, and the wheel got heavier to turn while driving, this is with gyro enabled.

I had some time to test the gamma. with enable=1, gamma =1 it was smooth. with gamma=0.5 it was shaky but very active. I think that it was more shaky than in a real racecar. and in 0.5 I had to lower the ffb to 8% instead of 25% because it was way too strong.

with gamma 0.85 it was very good feeling and I could put back the ffb to 25%. very good feeling. better than ever.

I have not modified the lut file. it is like this:
0|0
0.1|0.9
0.5|0.1
0.8|1.0
1.0|0
should I run the tool to generate my own lut file? I use a lenze 29nm.

anyway thank you guys for shareing this gamma setting it made my day. After work I will play with assetto not with iracing because now the ffb is very very good :slight_smile: (it was always a bit better than in iracing but now it is like heaven)

one issue. The ffb is really really good but at high speed and only at high speed I have the oscillation problem again. with gyro=1 I had no oscillation in the past but with the gamma ON I got it back again :frowning:
tried 0.5, 1.0 gamma but the only difference is that 0.5 wants to kill me immediately, 1.0 waits a bit and when I starts to believe that I am safe it kills me.

Don’t use gamma. That just makes the forces non-linear. Set that back to 1.

2 Likes

Hello LAR555

I see you are using 1180 degrees of rotation in Simucube?
Why this high a setting? Why not 900?
I’ve noticed a lot of cars in AC have very limited virtual wheel (I race exclusively in VR) degrees of rotation. The Ferrari FXX K virtual wheel only goes 180 degrees in either direction despite having in game AC settings for wheel lock set to ‘OFF’.
Appreciate any feedback you may have.
I use 2048 line SinCOS encoder on Small MiGe Simucube.
Thanks.

Hi,

Since every car has its different degrees of rotation you would be limiting cars with 1180 to 900… AC offers 1180 as their max so I assume some cars need this rotation. I have also noticed that 1180 gives you wider range of wheel control which is more realistic to cars in real life.

1 Like