A few questions about Simucube

Hi everyone.

I am planning on buying a Simucube + Ioni Pro + PSU.
I already have a brand new small Mige motor.

First of all let me tell you that I am very new to this sim racing world. I am currently building my first rig.
So… I would like to ask 2 questions:

1 - Is the Mean Well RSP-320-48 PSU enough for the small Mige? The NDR-480-48 cost twice the price of the RSP. Do I really need it?

2 - From what I read (very fast reading) the Ioni card is what controls the FFB. Does this mean that the simucube will work without the Ioni card attached? Will it behave as a no FFB wheel?

Thanks!

MW 320W psu should be enough, provided you limit the current a bit on the ioni under setup options.

Anyway, for Granite Devices-based DIY DD wheel setups, the DD wheel cannot work without the Ioni servo-drive controller, nor the SimuCUBE. Both boards are required. From simplistic perspective, Simucube is basically the HID USB interface, Ioni basically the servo power/encoder interface and driver.

Cheers,
Beano

Beano,

Thanks for the reply!
Great! Is it easy to limit the current? Is there any chance I will put the simucube and Ioni card in danger by using an underpowered PSU?

As for the rest…well…I guess I’ll to buy both at once. Thanks.

Hi,

Most likely the PSU will just drop its voltage low enough so that the undervoltage fault in the IONI will be triggered.

Mika,

Thanks for the reply. So…no harm will happen to the simucube/ioni? Great.

One last question: which IONI card should I get for this motor? The standard IONI or the IONI Pro?
(I guess the HC will be overkill)

IONI Standard is not suitable, it lacks encoder support and other features that you might want.

Thanks. But the Pro is enough, right?

Yes, Pro is enough for small Mige.

2 Likes