Will This Feature Ever Make It To SC2 Sport and/or Pro Users?

One of the reasons I choose the Pro over the Sport was because in all the marketing leading up to the SC2 release and for a long time after, features charts said that the SC2 Pro would have a “non-linear force saturation” feature.

I’m assuming “non-linear force saturation” is basically a way to change the linearity of the overall forces’ output. I think at least a basic version of this feature would be a huge plus because lots of games/sims don’t include a way to adjust this and it’s a very important option to adjust in my opinion (along with the other features/filters available). I would love to be able to adjust the linearity for some games/cars because many games/cars have the FFB loading up way too much, too suddenly rather than gradually loading up. It’s probably an issue with the sims’ physics but that’s another discussion.

I really think this is needed at least in a very basic version (linearity of all/overall forces).

2 Likes

This was in the first draft of marketing materials to the resellers, but it was then revised. It was never on our simucu.be website. We told many times the resellers to check their marketing material, seems like they never did…

Simucube 2 Ultimate has the torque linearity adjustment feature.

Also to tie in with Mika’s feedback, after 7 years playing with DD wheels, I simply fail to understand why people want to have a non-linear setting with these wheels.

It is definitely not required, and between the ability to adjust max torque, as well as the force-reduction filter, you have the best of both worlds anyway. Just because another wheel has this non-linear filter, doesn’t mean it is required here. With what the SC2 filtering offers, I have yet to encounter a situation where I couldn’t do what I wanted it to do :wink:

I have an SC2 Ultimate controller on my setup, I have never had a need to use the non-linear filter.

@Spinelli,

I agree 100%. The material I saw (and also was mentioned by others online) stated that some filters would be only on pro and ultimate(or that some filters would not be on sport only), so I went for the (“not so pro”) pro version as I didn’t want to miss out on something like that, but then I did exactly that anyways…
So here is backing your story up with my similar experience.

1 Like

Well just because the wheel is outputting what it’s being told linearly doesn’t mean what it’s being told to output in the first place is linear or feels linear. There are many games where I feel this would benefit massively if the game’s FFB itself is not behaving the way the user likes, or the game’s particular physics not making the FFB behave to the user’s liking (or even particular car in a game).

The force-reduction filter and max torque are different. I’m playing some sims where I feel the FFB loads up way too quickly, too much, relative to steering/tyre angles. Sure, it may not be the game’s FFB itself that is causing this but rather the game’s physics and how tyre grip and/or steering components behave and how that’s translated into FFB but, regardless, having a linearity (AKA sensitivity) adjustment would be huge.

I’d personally love even just the ability to set a basic overall FFB linearity curve. For example, in my case, I’m desperately looking for a way too apply a curve to lower the first initial forces. So on a scale of -100 to 100, 0 being linear, I’m looking for something like -30 or -60 or something.

Having the FFB being output from the hardware in a perfectly linear fashion according to what the game is telling it to do doesn’t mean much if the final FFB doesn’t feel good or seem correct - if that’s the case then it’s potentially irrelevant to the user if the game-to-hardware translation of forces is “linear” or not.

You are trying to make the shortcomings of the different sims or games the problem of wheel-developers.

I understand the filters very well, but I also understand that a variety of car setup settings will impact the way tyres load up, for example, if you significantly increase camber, the front-wheels will load up much more and you will encounter self-aligning torque for the front much more than with more upright struts.

So my question is that how well and how accurate are those parameters modelled in those games? Who knows. Creating a non-linear torque-map might give some relief in some areas, but it will impact negatively in other areas. It might be easiest for game Devs to built a simple model into their games, where you can set the output behaviour of the setpoint signal, like what i%acing for example is doing with different brakes…load-cell vs pot vs hydraulic, for example.

So my simple point is they can change the ffb setpoint behaviour to be non-linear then, as opposed to adding bloatware to the dd wheel side of things.

This is one of the key reasons I only focus on iRacing, as I find the ffb modelling and physics behaviour closest to what I would expect in real life. Of course room for improvement in that sim too, but better than any others imho.

Anyway, just my simplistic POV. If this is a big concern for many users, I am sure Mika and team might consider it, but from what I have seen, it is perhaps a couple guys who flagged this. But I am just an end-user anyway, so hopefully Mika can comment on the viability of something like this.

3 Likes