What's the difference in RPM

Most important is rather the latency, you can try all 8 recons with no filters and see what will be the latency. There should be a diffrence.

honestly itā€™s not impressive as i think.
hope ultimare is ā€œat leastā€ really close to 500.

@less_is_more more than 200RPM is for me too much. The steering-wheel will be too fast for Drift or to drive old cars with 900Ā° or moreā€¦

Example of FFB Steering wheel used by Universities or car companiesā€¦

During internal development testing, we could not exceed ~2.5-2.8 RPS during most severe tests with Indycar at Sebring, at 26nm torque. . 500RPM is already 8.33RPS.

So why do we need that high (and very unusable)) servo-speed again?

Anyway, all SC2 servos have good healthy overhead, but also cleverly designed/selected to fall within all requirements for sim-use.

Why are some so obsessed with RPM?
The parameters we should concentrate on is the latency and the max torque slew rate the motor is capable of. And on top of that to bring in the equation the steering wheel one is using, and what filters (mainly dampening) one is running, cause that will have some real effect, everything else is mere numbers.
Even the old Simucube is good for about 220-240RPM, thatā€™s 3,66 turns per second, or 1317Ā° per second, so more then the steering lock of any reasonable road car, and almost 2-3 times the steering lock of a race car. So, taking a typical GT car with 540Ā° lock, you can still go from lock to lock in 0,41 s, or from going straight into full lock in 0,2 s. And to make the typical correction of, lets say, a 90Ā° flick to catch the rear, the wheel only needs 70 ms. Thatā€™s bloody fast.
I could only think of some crazy japanese drifters, who flick their car from lock to lock at high speeds, that would bring a typical DD wheel to its limits.

If one would want to make a belt driven reduction system with the Simucube 2 Ultimate (ratio of about 3), would the rotation speed be high enough to use it properly (and without power surge when doing violent/very quick steering inputs)? Obviously torque wonā€™t be set to anything like maximum values.

Also, is there an option to adapt the steering angle in software to accomodate the new ratio?

Why? Motor placement is difficult or what is the reason?

No.

Some time ago I managed to get my hands on an awesome CNC machined belt driven OSW made by a french artisan (Beckhoff AM3044-1E40-0000 motor). I wanted to use it today with some of the great advancements from Simucube 2.

2 Likes

Awesome! Looks like a clockwork

1 Like