Weird stuck to bump stop after getting hit in rear in GTR2

I’ve discovered this bias happens in GTR2 even with all DirectInput Effect Fine Tuning sliders at 0%. When I turn the wheel to center it turns with a mild force to the left to the bump stop (240degrees).

It does this even when I unassign the controls for steering in-game. I recall something about wheels remember the last command and maybe that explains why it turns to the left in the menu? When I exit to the race menu the wheel stays where I move it, so it seems like some force in the game is turning it to the left.

^ I guess this is a side issue. More importantly this bias can happen in-game when any time the car hits something or gets hit, apparently.

I can get this bias to happen on demand by striking barriers at a slight angle at speed. I don’t get it. Is it some high force bias in some formula in the TD/SC calculations?

Edit: When FFB is set on Low (Steering + Grip) it does NOT exhibit the steering bias but when I set it to medium or high (medium adds Friction+Damper+Rumble Strips) the steering bias starts when I strike a barrier or whatever. This happens regardless of disabling DirectInput Effects in TD and also still happens if I completely zero out Friction/Damper/Rumble params in the PLR.

Cheatsheet for GTR2 FFB levels:

Low: Steering+Grip
Medium: Adds Friction+Damper+Rumble strips
High: Adds Brake vibration
Full: Adds Throttle vibration+Steering vibration

Edit 2: It seems the “last ffb command” may be related. I don’t know how ffb works at a programmatic level but if the wheel is remembering the last command it also seems to be remembering the slight force from a bump while the car is moving and it affects the steering angle. It’s not like the wheel continues to move to the left, it’s that it makes a new center for wheel, just a few degrees left or right, usually, although sometimes when I hit a wall it sharply and strongly takes it to the bump stop (240degrees). When I exit the race sessions back to the main menu the ffb seems to reset and then when I go back out on track it has the proper center. So, something is being remember and something in TD or SC is creating a new center out of it. And it all starts when you strike something while driving. Note that I drive in invulnerability so it’s not damage.

Here’s my TD profile: GTR2_2021.05.12_23.43_ini.txt (869 Bytes)

Shovas,

did you ever find out more about this topic? I recently started playing GTR2 (new into a lot of these older sim titles). I got the anniversary edition and crew chief plugin install (thanks to your awesome guide!), and everything worked well. I was driving for hours earlier today and no massive spikes in FFB, then I come back to the game later tonight and suddenly the smallest tap sends massive spikes to the wheel, the wheel go hard left, and until I found your solution on the ffb being on low, the wheel was getting stuck to the full left position.

Have you found out more to help solve any of these issues? I was enjoying this game so much and then suddenly something just changes on it’s own and the massive FFB spikes have made me too scared to even do races.

We investigated this in the last beta firmware which should now be fully released (oh it’s not yet) and the problem is fixed

Until then you’ll have to use Low ffb

I did notice LARGE fps drops when using ffb higher than Low. Has to do with DirectInput Effects like Friction, Damper, etc.

It might not be noticeable if you’re used to 60-100 fps but I’m used to 400fps+ so drops to 100fps feel harsh.

Lowering the Jolt helped with jerks from bumps on the road but not with the harsh FFB with taps on a wall or car. I have just lowered the FFB down to around 60% on my pro and it’s working just fine.

That’s odd, I don’t recall having that behaviour. I set my TD at 100% and in-game to between 30-60% usually.

You might want to disable Jolt Magnitude in the PLR, too, it’s artificial and doesn’t add much on a DD I find.

It might be the plugin but I can’t say I’ve ever experienced that.