Weak Road details and high FFB strength in iRacing - unsure how to resolve?

Yes, as long as Iracing and the True Drive or Configuration tool are the same iRacing will map… You can use 1080 as well but I belive the only car that does use this is the Miata.

Thanks Brion.
You are using Recon 7 on small MiGe?

I am using it on a large… but if I remember correctly when I had the small as well the general effect was still the same… However the small mige is a bit more active so it communicates things a little more urgently.

So, things are decent but the one main issue that remains is the incredibly abrupt and exagerrated forces when contact (from the side is worse) with another vehicle/wall is made.
Is there anything that can be done here without waiting for iRacing to find a way to separate the car/wall contact forces from the road surface forces?

It’s a mess, and I can see that when the system was developed they never anticipated people using such powerful motors.
But it’s supremely annoying and I’m glad I don’t race oval - just the lightest graze of the wall will generate forces that may as well be the same as hitting the wall head on at 300mph! The car is ‘sucked’ into the wall and you risk injury even trying to fight the wheel!
Totally unrealistic.

Actually it is sort of not unrealistic if you are running at closer to 1:1 the reason is that a hit can be seriously hard… But that being said…

The way to mitigate this is to set your racing Max Force to a number JUST above the Cars Usable telemetry and then adjusting your Specific output through true drive… Problem is this will require different settings for each car

Setting things up for the Maximum Car you use could give you more hard hits than you want when you drive lesser cars do to this… Say you set your Nm to 35 so that a GT gets pretty much all the information and it runs an average of say 28Nm that means that when you hit a wall the difference from cornering force to max wall hit is 7Nm (not too bad of a hit) BUT when you run the same 35Nm Max force on a Miata that funs on average about 10Nm then you have a hit disparity of 25Nm which will result in a MUCH heavier and healthy feeling jolt through the wheel. Even though in the end your servo still only puts out the same Maximum Nm.

Makes sense.
They really need to find a way to separate the forces, I know that it’s most likely a coding nightmare, but with more using these powerful wheels it’s getting more and more needed.

Perhaps the issue is less to do with the wall/other car strikes, and instead related whatever strange ‘magnetism’ in iRacing that causes these effects.

I spent a while last night reading through threads on here/iracing forums and since I don’t plan to tweak every vehicle and have a laundry list of Simucube profiles, I think I’ll take your advice and set the Simucube to output about 13Nm max force, and then set pretty much every car to 65Nm to avoid clipping.

Seems that the SC2 cannot do much about this either, so I guess we will have to wait until iRacing get enough complaints from DD users hurting their wrists and hands to bother doing something about it - obviously this means that more and more users are moving to DD, and that might be a while, like having to wake me up from cryo-sleep kinda long.

Cheers Brion

The New Damage model actually significantly improves the after initial hit issues in that they have the wreck now dissipate and actually remove things from the equation… IE a hit breaks a steering tie rod the steering will go loose… though of course they haven’t yet got that model across the board.

The Wheel manufacturers don’t really have any way to deal with it unless they did full telemetry GPS from the game and did their own pre-processing… which is again a serious amount of work.

You can always have differing Specific outputs for each car by changing the Max Force in iRacing… the only thing is that you have to deal with how much clipping you might want to have to get that if you turn down the True Drive power.

If you want it as a set-it and forget it I would actually find the car you drive regularly that feels the heaviest… Go out for a few laps on the hardest track you tend to drive and then click the auto ini racing… This will give you an idea of the Telemetry forces required for that car… Take that number and add about 5Nm to it and that will be your baseline iRacing Max Force (granted you may eventually drive some cars that would need higher as they may clip but this will give you the best ability to get a specific output you like).

Once that number is set then Use the True Drive % to get the at the wheel strength level you want with that car… Once this is done all other cars will fall into place with their relative strengths below that.

Unless ‘True Drive’ is coming to SC1 in the impending update, isn’t this only for SC2?

Next Generation SC1 software is also going to be called TrueDrive from what I understand… But yes for SC1 at the moment replace true drive with Configuration tool :wink:

that gave me a needed laugh!!

You can race with Linear Forces unchecked, is not mandatory to use linear ffb.
Some cars works better for me with (hpd, FR35, and some more)

really?
wonder why that is?
I’ve been trying to figure out why (other than the new tire models) FFB has become so heavy in iRacing since moving from MMOS to Simucube.
Pretty sure it’s all the filtering done by the Recon and the sliders - my motor didn’t go on steroids, that I am sure of :slight_smile:

Thats another front… Im not very convinced by Recon Filter, racing at 3 lately and forget about Logitech-like rattle noises

Yea if you are using a low Specific output, down in the .2’s somewhere I would actually recommend possibly running non linear. The Reason is that when you start to get really low on at the wheel power the amplitude that the fine signals are recreated at could be even lower than what it takes to actually move the wheel physically so you won’t feel them at all… By running Non-Linear racing will effectively compress the signal range boosting the low strength signals while sacrificing the upper strength… This will allow certain road feel and other details to come through the wheel at a more noticeable state… Granted it is not as realistic BUT at the same time running the steering that weak for that car that would require it is not realistic either so it is about getting the information to your hands.

The New tire model has changed up a bunch of stuff, some cars feel more dead, others don’t, Somecars have gotten lighter steering others haven’t… With the NTM7 iRacing has the ability to play more with the compound settings they have for the tire so they are able to adjust that more than before and they can now tune the tire more to each individual car. so things have changed pretty drastically over the last few updates

1 Like