Using Simucube 2 for Autonomous driving research

Hello everyone,

I’m new to Simracing and I’m currently planning out a research project at my lab on autonomous driving and I am wondering whether Simucube 2 (Sport, specifically) would be a good option for my purposes.

Here are things I need to do:

1. I need to be able to give direct torque commands to the DD motor (to act as a drive-by-wire system) from my PC which would be running a driving simulator (Carla simulator).

2. It would be great to be able to interface Simucube with a Linux PC as the rest of my system runs on Linux.

Please any pointers would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Than you have a bit of a challenge I think.
The wheel is seen in Ubuntu Eon and my joystick software recognizes input. (jstest-gtk)
But torq should only properly work after starting TD and enabling the High Torq mode.

Don’t have any idea how CARLA works, so are there scripts available to do some quick testing?

Simucube products are not offcially supported on Linux at the moment. This is due to some issues and peculiarities in the USB device descriptor. Linux expects some field to be present, but immediately if those are enabled, then Windows says “cannot start device”.

Possibly, we could make a special firmware which has those.

In addition, the High Torque Mode enabling would require a Linux version of the True Drive software. For sure we could compile the software for Linux, but there would be insufficient time for testing. Last time I tried, it just didn’t work out-of-the-box and would have required some hours of work.

Not supported but are correctly seen and identified.
Wheel rotation is also transmitted and shown by the gui software.

Don’t get me wrong, I would LOVE to see proper support, but I’m also realistic :frowning:
There would probable be just a few games that would work under Linux anyway.
I played F1, but after the change to AC, ACC and iRacing it is easier to just boot Windows and have al the gimmicks available. And even I learned to work with the Windows interface, it’s not that hard.

There is also support for Carla under Windows, maybe easier?

1 Like

Thank you very much for getting back regarding Linux. I can understand why there isn’t official support yet.

I just might be able to move my work to Windows. In that case, please can I get pointers on how I can give direct torque commands to the DD motor (to act as a drive-by-wire system)? Is this possible?

Thanks a bunch guys.