Using 3rd party QR

Cheers Mate. Hopefully someone else with experience on both will chime in too :wink: So you gave a bigger reference-base…

Haven’t tried Xero-Play, can’t compare, but used Q1R for the last 5 years with DD wheels with zero issues, no play either. Sometimes you might need to adjust locking nut a bit when changing to different wheels, somehow tolerances between wheel and motor side can vary across units.
Watch Barry’s video starting 30:40, he shows what I mean and also gives his own take on Q1R.

Andrew, like stated, I had used the QR1 for many years too. I have adjusted the locking nut when mine developed some play, to the point the bolt let go and caused me to do some serious swear words…

I will try to find that pix…

Edit: Found it, see below. That bolt sheared, coming across the Skyline at Mt Panorama, I was wringing the Mercedes GT3 for all it was worth across there, running Bogeyman at 1:1 (38NM).

The result was that I almost tore myself a new rear orifice. Wasn’t pleasant, as you can imagine. With that said, Holger was a true gentlemen and sent me a few extra bits and pieces. Like said, the QR1 still rate very high in my books, bested only by the Xero Play.

PS: To this day, I have not found that spring…

2 Likes

I love your QR design. Rock solid and convenient to use. Great job!

2 Likes

Hi. I’m new to this and I have a question:

Can I use a quick release like this one on my Simucube 2 Pro ?

There is a bunch of different quick release on the market for real cars and I can find nobody that uses it in SC2

Here is another one:

There is a good reason we don’t use those. They start to develop wear and rattle very quickly. I have fond extensive testing over many years, from cheap to expensive units, none passed.

The best you can buy at this moment for any DD servo would be HRS Xero Play, Holger QR1 and of course, the SC2 standard unit. No reason to replace the standard SC2 unit, but if you do, the Xero Play is my first choice, followed by the QR1.

Cheers,
Beano

5 Likes

I agree, HRS is top quality, it never failed once for me and most important never needed to do any kind of maintenance or to set it up again after first use.

I use an NRG QR with mine. I put an o-ring size 38mm OD x 36mm ID x 1mm width at the base of the male side and it’s almost if not, just as solid as the SQR. Time will tell how it holds up.

O-ring is not installed in that photo.

3 Likes

Hi, anyone knows the exakt diameter of this 3 bolt pattern? I will machine an own adapter to 70mm. Thanks

I have now got a good range of different adapters. Take a look before you bother to make your own.
https://www.simracingmachines.com/WebShop/sc2-wheel-side-qr-2

This one is great https://www.simracingmachines.com/WebShop/srm-qr-adapter-for-sc2-wheel-base

2 Likes

Nice adapters, do you have them on stock? delivery time to Sweden? thanks

Yes plenty of stock. My shop will offer you various shipping options in the checkout - It goes off to the couriers once it knows your address.

Simon

Great addition!
Please, consider larger SC2 shaft mounts to be able to lower display between base and wheelrim

You can purchase 2 of the adapters and put a spacer between them to extend the SC2 QR
Like this

This picture is 2 of the plates with my 50mm spacer between them. The SC2 QR is attached using 3 M5 Nuts

3 Likes

Wow Simon!
That looks really nice!

What is the total extension length when using your 2 adapters?

The adapters are 12mm thick and the spacer is 50mm of course, so that make it 74mm total.

1 Like

Looks OK but for some It is valuable to reduce the original shaft diameter to put our monitor in the lowest position.
You can do that with 2 adapters and a longer spacer, but weight matters and INOX screws adds to the equation.

Im in possesion of one Simcore Shaft extension (the 55 one) and im able to put my Samsung HG90 as lower as the extension permits (inner diameter of 4cm, monitor has 5cm deep), But im in need of a longer spacer like the new Simcore 75 or 105.

You can use any spacer with a 70mm bolt pattern.

I know, and i Know i want an extender like Simcore ones but from EU if possible

Received my adapters from Simon today. Immediately went to work off course. Below 2x adapter and Simlab spacer.

2 Likes