True Drive filters, what they do and how they interact

Maybe discuss the templates and how you came to conclusion that those are decent?

As far as people spamming all of the forums about settings, welcome to the club. This has been going on for years. Since you guys were only producing components and not assembling the product prior to SC2 you were a bit immune to it I think.

3 Likes

Yes when I first did the guide BoxThisLap asked if he could repost it so it is there as well.

I have actually had it for a few weeks now Just having been able to get it all hooked up and I also want to sequence into it so I get a refresher with the Other two DD wheels I have here just so I have a reference as to where the real differences are as well as be able to go back and forth.

I will post up some impressions once I had some time with it to plat and figure out all the new settings as well…

2 Likes

I know I am long winded at times because I look at the issues from all angles… So to explain i sometimes go ingto the counterarguments as well…

I hope everything is getting better with your wife and yes I know you are messing with me lol…

1 Like

Yeah you know I can’t resist to mess with you!:grinning:
And I would rather have more info than less, so keep doing what you are doing.

She is doing ok at the moment, still no side effects except the hair loss. And I would trade hair for life ANY DAY!!
Thanks for the kind words.

Now back to work Grasshopper!! Send me some pics of that new plate

I used a fourth monitor right from the start when I built my triple setup, I couldn’t stand switching all the time.

1 Like

LOL Shortly, I have pricing on the website and placeholders for the two new wheelbases but I have had to make some last minute Manufacturing adjustments that have delayed getting the first Articles done… I’m hoping to have the pictures on site and official release by this weekend.

1 Like

@Mika: IMHO, the best way to go about this topic is to further improve the simple mode for less advanced users - but retaining advanced mode is very important for power-users, this also is a very big differentiator for Simucube/2 vs the competition…

Dumbing it down and clamping it to that simple-only mode is going to be a big letdown.

Please don’t go down this path, rather focus on further developing Simple-mode in tandem :wink:

17 Likes

Exactly what Beano said.:grinning:

2 Likes

I’m just days away from receiving my gaming PC build. I have the SC2 Pro in hand as well as the other essential components to launch my sim racing career. I’ve retained a gaming geek to connect it all up, and tutor me on the set up and operation. Iracing is my focus. Anything you can do to simplify the experience for us non-computer geeks will be appreciated. I’m very apprehensive about my ability to get this system to work so I can be somewhat competitive as my driving skills improve. I’d like your goal to be to allow both computer geeks and non-computer geeks to compete on the basis of driving skill not computer expertise. I use the word “geek” with utmost respect. With the assistance of the members of this forum and the Granite Devices Team i hope to earn the sobriquet (love that word. Don’t get to use it much) “iracing Driving Geek”.

With respect,

Richard Cashore AKA “Arc”

Computing expertise doesn’t give you any benefit/advantage on track, don’t worry about that! If you want to put yourself on a level playing field with the best on iRacing then you need a bit of natural talent and a shitload of spare time. You can’t buy speed, you have to put the effort in.

1 Like

Si-Po, I don’t expect to be competitive with Aliens but I may be competitive with the second tier racers. I have the time. Whether I have enough natural ability remains to be established. For you the computer skills are not a factor. For me I consider the various settings for car, tracks, iracing, True Drive, Simucube 2, etc, etc, to require more than a basic understanding of PCs and Windows operating system. I haven’t used Windows in over 20 years. We’re all Macintosh in our household. I have a basic understand of the physics of driving cars fast on tight tracks. I ran rallies and club races in a Porsche 356 Carrara in the ‘60s - ‘80s. Not much since. I’ll greatly enjoy the driving and practice. I will not enjoy fiddling with FFB settings, car setups, SC2,and True Drive setups and all the rest. However I realize I must master the boring stuff as well as learning to drive fast safely a variety of cars on a variety of tracks. I’m looking forward to it. We may meet on the track in a year or so. First it’s iracing rookies.

Regards,

Richard (Arc)

I don’t enjoy fiddling with FFB settings either Richard, it’s the driving I’m in it for! On my previous Sim Steering system I used the same profile for 3 years. And with my SC2 I’ve probably played around more over the last year however I’m not one of these guys that creates a new profile for each car, the only thing I adjust when switching cars is overall strength. People get obsessed over tweaking, maybe because they love trying different settings however I’d rather pound out 100 laps and see an improvement in my driving.

I just meant you don’t need to think you’ll be at a disadvantage because you have little computing experience. I came into this hobby not having owned a gaming PC for nearly 20 years! I’ve also been part of a big team and seen how the Pro’s practice, nobody is obsessing over FFB settings. You have a vocal minority here on the forums that are probably more into the hardware side than the racing side. There’s plenty of sim racers who don’t get as excited over a new filter and just want a good feeling wheel and to turn some laps!

Cheers

Si

1 Like

hi
for me muscular memory is always the way to follow more than filter subjectivity, i try to find an acceptable ffb feeling and learn.
A couple of month after “the imperfect ffb of the beginning turns into something great”
And right we are not all looking for the same thing
Tolerance is the only cure for diversity of opinions

In my opinion, the objective should not be what feels good, best etc. It should be what is real & correct. So let’s pic a popular race series, seems to be GT3 at the moment. you would need a gt3 racer of a specific gt3 car, sat at a simucube rig, testing and adjusting the TD/ Specific Game settings until they say “These settings are correct, or as close to real, as it gets.” Then that is the Profile that gets released for that specific gt3 car.

More chance of finding hens teeth.

We all argue what is best, but in reality, unless we have had seat time in a gt3 car, we are just guessing/pretending.

J

FFB is just artistic interpretation of reality and will never feel like “real GT3” car that has weak power assisted steering forces to allow driver go through multi hour racing marathon with most input coming from other sensory receptors.
So GT3 driver, that is new to sim racing realm, will have 0 valuable input to provide for such tuning. Plus particular car traits should be and are coded in sim title physics engine, not added post fact via some filters wizardly.

1 Like

real cars have no ffb, so there is no point ot all in trying to replicate real life driving into the sim.

1 Like

Agreed Andrew and Mr Monaco:

And to top it off the real drivers I have dealt with have near zero computer skills.

Adjust the wheel settings how you like it and forget about what others think.

1 Like

GT3’s have power steering that can be adjusted depending on speed and other factors, however the driver likes it. Same for FFB. There is nothing “correct”.
There are settings that will make the FFB feel closer to what you would feel in a real car, however, and it def. does help immersion, FOR ME, to tune it how I think they should feel or close to what I have experienced prior. Then I personally like to have “the whole car in the steering wheel” in a sim, since we’re missing so many other things. Good to have many adjustables :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I am 99% sure if the wheel was able to replicate a GT3 car exactly then 99% of realism-chasers-filter-tweakers would still not be happy.

FFB should at best help you go faster and add some immersion.

I do wonder if chasing “feel” is in fact in place of being a better driver — it’s certainly easier to hunt something subjective than the very objective figure of a lap time.

“if only the wheel would give me that little bit of extra feeling of oversteer I’d go so much quicker”

A bit like people who spend their time overclocking and benchmarking as opposed to playing games.