Sudden loss of FFB!

I recently bought the Startech USB expansion board with 4 dedicated controllers that @phillip.vanrensburg wrote about after some system freezes and loss of FFB.
I have my Simucube 1 and Heusinkveld pedals connected to this board. With Diview.exe I could see there was much less jitter (almost none) on my pedals and I didn’t have experienced the system freezes any more.
I have an Asus Z490 E Gaming board.

We haven’t seen such intermittent USB issues in the device previously,so it would be the first time for such an issue. All previous cases have been caused by either external factors (other USB devices such as motion platforms) or finicky motherboards.

Ok thanks for the info Joe. It must me a usb issue but I only have these disconnects since connecting a Simucube 2.

It appears that the last couple of Firmwares have had usb problems. Is it possible a future Firmware update will solve such problem ?

The bad version was 2021.1 and we reverted all changes in 2021.4 release, so it is already fixed.

Ok, can you tell is it just the amd pc systems or motherboards having the disconnects and FFB loss ?

Hi Mate, apologies for the late reply, recovering from an unexpected 01am -05am race-stint at Nurburgring 24hr on iRacing. No sleep, Bogeyman and bass-shaker, I am feeling like a big vibrator walking today :frowning:

Anyway, I recently replaced my very reliable (and slightly aging) Intel X299 chipset board and 7900X cpu, running my 3090 gfx card, with the latest and greatest (apparently) AMD Asus Dark Hero x570 board with 5900x cpu, 3600 CAS14 ram, and even a PCIe 4 nvme Samsung ssd.

The 3090 was moved across. Well, let’s just say, I am not really impressed by the performance upgrade, and less so by the somewhat buggy nature of the AMD setup. Whilst the Intel system might be 5-10% lower in performance, it is significantly more reliable and robust in terms of reliability and stability.

So much so, that I am now strongly considering recommissioning the Intel box and selling of this AMD train wreck. It’s stutter-heaven, and USB issues galore, if you’re not using an add-in card like I am.

Only my humble opinion, but until (if ever) AMD can get their chit together, I will advise to stay away from them. There’s a good reason I have been on Intel since my FX55/57 days, the CPU’s might be up there wrt raw performance, but that shouldn’t come at the price of a stable and reliable system.

Whilst there are those that have good stable systems, AMD have acknowledged this errata in certain chipsets and under certain conditions. Good for you if you’re one of the lucky ones, but misery if you are in the same category as I am.

Out of 4 of my team mates running the latest Gen Ryzen AMD setups, only 1 has a good stable system, the rest of us are plagued by either USB issues, unexplained cpu spikes in iRacing causing stutters, or a combination of both.

Apologies for the long-winded post, just venting a bit :frowning:

2 Likes

Thanks Beano and hope you stop vibrating soon or maybe you don’t need FFB anymore !? :smile:

I switched last December from an older intel system 6700K & 1080 but never had any usb issues at all with that.

I was about to get that Startech usb card but hesitated when I saw it needs pci-e x4 while I only have one pci-e x1 slot and one pci-e x16 slot but that would place the usb card really close to my 3090 on top of one of the fans which is probably not a good idea up here in Queensland where we get high temps.

My system is similar to yours except you mobo is higher end than mine. But seems AMD did not fix the usb issues after such a long wait which is very disappointing.

So are you saying that even using the Startech usb hub these sort of usb problems may still happen to me ? And would that usb hub still run properly in the pci-e x1 slot or must it have a x4 slot ?

I think I have tried every possible combination moving my ports around and now testing with them in Gen 2 mode as Gen 3 made no difference and I also got a new high quality shielded usb cable. It also feel like these dropouts are more frequent since updating to the newest TD driver.

I don’t blame Granite as the solution must lie in Amd fixing their issues in the bios and chipset drivers, if Intel have it working then nobody else can be blamed.

Still disconnecting No matter what I do !!!
Faaaarrrrkkkkk !!! :weary:

1 Like

Why did you ask me this ? I answered your question. Can you suggest any solution ? I have tried everything I can think of yet disconnects and loss of ffb during racing continues.

Have you tried to rule out the motion platform causing it?

Also you describe this as a very small duration glitch, but in the other thread you say that wheelbase is turning off and back on. Which one is it actually?

I have tried everything - it happens with and without motion.

Yes I have experienced sudden very short loss of FFB and also total disconnects where the wheel resets itself turning off and then back on again. Both of those issues randomly occur while racing.

I am frustrated and worn out from endlessly testing to find a reason and a solution. I love the SC2 Pro wheel when working but is hard to fully enjoy when this happens randomly and often.

I do not understand why the AF wheel is not affected in the same way. Why only the SC2 Pro ? I cannot help but think something is not operating correctly but I have no idea what else to try.

What type of FFB levels are you running? Easy way would be to run with less strong FFB, to get some informaton on whether this could be some type of power trip inside the device or in the power supply.

Ok for sure Mika, I will try anything to find where there might be a problem.

I have FFB set in Truedrive usually at 15nm or 16nm and sometimes upto 17nm but no higher. Only sims I race are AMS2, pCars2, RRRE, rFactor2 and Dirt Rally 2.0 with most of my time spread between top three sims.

I have Recon filter usually 4 or 5 and in all sims the in game FFB settings are around 70 to 80 % with RRRE at 85% and rF2 60%

I think they are quite moderate settings really … should I set much lower ?

@Mika - Sorry I did not understand when you said, there could be some sort of power trip inside the device, do you mean in my pc components or the sc2 pro wheelbase ?

I have/had the same problem recently and just switched the USB-port. So far it’s gone. Could it be EMI? I also rearranged the cables and with motion and SimVibe I have a lot of cables without cable-management. It certainly has nothing to do with AMD, since I don’t have anything from AMD that I know of. I’ve not updated my graphics-driver since ages, so nothing there to look for. I did the new Truedrive-update before switching USB-ports and wasn’t helping. The only thing I’m using about since it happened is JoyToKey.

I do not believe there is EMI problem. Swapping usb ports made no difference. There is a known issue with amd and my particulat mobo, X570 and 5900X cpu.

@Mika - please when you have chance, I asked question above.

I swear these are EMI Problems for sure. Try to rearange your cables your motorcabels and so on. I have a SFX100 and when i put the server case a few cm near to the PC and then you can have everything from usb issues and so on. There are a lot of solutions to try. Had also the case that only one usb cable hanging over the Buttonbox (and this cable was near a motor cable of the SFX-100) that causes disconnecting several devices. Everything here works like a charm but before this i have to be the cable guy :+1: EMI causes strange things.

I am on a Intel system. Yeah and running 10-12 usb devices with everything can cause trouble sometimes…even on Intel or AMD Systems…and Motion is the highlighter for causing these things.

Actually everything is well shielded and cables are well positioned. I had been running an Accuforce Pro DD wheel together with my Reverb G2 and 3 x PT Actuators for several months with absolutely zero issue of disconnects or loss of FFB on this same amd pc setup.

Trouble began only from day one of connecting Simucube 2 Pro which is just over one month new now.

I am appreciative of advice but really disappointed that I have no solution so far. For instance how can I be certain it is not an intermittent fault in the SC2 power supply or wheelbase ? I do not know how to troubleshoot that.

Mika hinted at something but has not replied to my further questions. Maybe very busy with other things I guess.

Meanwhile I have no other ideas what to do as the disconnects occur more often and interfere with any racing making for a very frustrating experience overall.

I understand your problems and it can be really frustrating…have you tried another usb cable from SC2 to PC and tried without Motion and another USB Ports… Also some AMD USB problems are well known but not solved. I hope you get it solved. Besides that the SC2 is really great and i hope it works someday for you

1 Like

blanes, I wonder if it could be worth trying out a usb isolator in your particular situation?

In case you haven’t already, have a check on this post and the thread in general as there are some good troubleshooting tips in there that you may not have tried yet.

It must be very frustrating for you. Hopefully you can get to a resolution soon.

1 Like