Sudden loss of FFB!

I have/had the same problem recently and just switched the USB-port. So far it’s gone. Could it be EMI? I also rearranged the cables and with motion and SimVibe I have a lot of cables without cable-management. It certainly has nothing to do with AMD, since I don’t have anything from AMD that I know of. I’ve not updated my graphics-driver since ages, so nothing there to look for. I did the new Truedrive-update before switching USB-ports and wasn’t helping. The only thing I’m using about since it happened is JoyToKey.

I do not believe there is EMI problem. Swapping usb ports made no difference. There is a known issue with amd and my particulat mobo, X570 and 5900X cpu.

@Mika - please when you have chance, I asked question above.

I swear these are EMI Problems for sure. Try to rearange your cables your motorcabels and so on. I have a SFX100 and when i put the server case a few cm near to the PC and then you can have everything from usb issues and so on. There are a lot of solutions to try. Had also the case that only one usb cable hanging over the Buttonbox (and this cable was near a motor cable of the SFX-100) that causes disconnecting several devices. Everything here works like a charm but before this i have to be the cable guy :+1: EMI causes strange things.

I am on a Intel system. Yeah and running 10-12 usb devices with everything can cause trouble sometimes…even on Intel or AMD Systems…and Motion is the highlighter for causing these things.

Actually everything is well shielded and cables are well positioned. I had been running an Accuforce Pro DD wheel together with my Reverb G2 and 3 x PT Actuators for several months with absolutely zero issue of disconnects or loss of FFB on this same amd pc setup.

Trouble began only from day one of connecting Simucube 2 Pro which is just over one month new now.

I am appreciative of advice but really disappointed that I have no solution so far. For instance how can I be certain it is not an intermittent fault in the SC2 power supply or wheelbase ? I do not know how to troubleshoot that.

Mika hinted at something but has not replied to my further questions. Maybe very busy with other things I guess.

Meanwhile I have no other ideas what to do as the disconnects occur more often and interfere with any racing making for a very frustrating experience overall.

I understand your problems and it can be really frustrating…have you tried another usb cable from SC2 to PC and tried without Motion and another USB Ports… Also some AMD USB problems are well known but not solved. I hope you get it solved. Besides that the SC2 is really great and i hope it works someday for you

1 Like

blanes, I wonder if it could be worth trying out a usb isolator in your particular situation?

In case you haven’t already, have a check on this post and the thread in general as there are some good troubleshooting tips in there that you may not have tried yet.

It must be very frustrating for you. Hopefully you can get to a resolution soon.

1 Like

Thanks Tobi, have tried those things without luck and I bought a new ferrite/shielded cable and a new extra usb 3.1 card just to run only the sc2pro from… sadly the problem persists exactly the same and I feel like I am just wasting money now.

Hey Paul I never heard of a usb isolator but I will look into that and have a good read of that thread. I am feeling desperate to try anything. Do you guys think there is any chance the power brick itself could cause the wheelbase to disconnect or turn off & on again ? And how would I check that ?

Well, it was a desperate attempt for you to try to drive with very reduced FFB level to see if that had any effect on the issue you are having. But you didn’t report back any results.

Well yes I replied directly under what you wrote. I reported the FFB levels & settings I use and asked are they low enough ?

How do I test for fault in power supply ?

I am desperate to try anything and would very much appreciate your help.

You reported the levels you were using, but didn’t report if the problems persist with much lower levels than what you are using.

There is no particular test on PSU that a end-user can do, but running with reduced FFB level could rule out any issues with that, or any weird issues inside the device. But this is all blind speculation, there is no particular fault in my mind that we know of, that would cause this.

Ok I will try tomorrow with FFB at say 7 or 8nm. Is that low enough ?

Any setting lower than you have currently, is good. This is to try to find a relationship about your issues and FFB strength. I suspect there will be no relationship…

You can check the power-supplies with the old SC2 Pro by unplugging one. There should be still FFB.

Just had a 30 minute race and problems came back after 20 min. or so. The base was beeping a few times without any inputs after the race, but not during the race. I’m using 70% torque in TD, 70% gain in AMS2 and it didn’t get warm on the top where the sticker is. The FFB does not only go off for a split of a second, but also returns in a weaker mode for some seconds. Doesn’t sound like USB-related to me…

Ah very interesting info ! @Leynad - I have R2 sc2pro so only one 300w (tested/rated to 480w) power supply which is not a Meanwell but Phihong.

I need more time to test but I am running lower FFB strength set in TD as suggested by @Mika - I started at 8Nm and worked my way upto 14Nm.

So if I do not have any loss of FFB or disconnects at lower Nm force settings does that mean my psu has some problem that it cannot sustain higher Nm forces without disconnecting ? Or does it point to something else ?

What I have now notice is a strange feeling where FFB will suddenly very light for a second or lags a little, which I now recognise is a precursor to a full disconnect / reset of wheelbase, it goes off then on again. That seems to consistently happen some minutes after, while still racing.

Maybe some clue to what is happening there for much smarter people than me !?

I really have only basic to medium level understanding of this stuff but I am dedicated to find a solution. I would gladly pay for new power supply if that is the solution because I already invest over Aud $4000 in this sc2 Pro including my 2 x wireless wheels and I just want to race happily without these disconnects.

• The best way to clear if this is wheelbase problem is to test with different PC. Just borrow one for a day, even laptop will do.
  • Try to capture event log when disconnect happens, on Advanced Info tab there is “Download debug event log”
  • Try downgrading to 2020.10 FW, this is the last known release with truly stable USB.
1 Like

Thanks Andrew and I do not have access to another pc at the moment. I have gone back & forth to the 2020.10 fw many times and eventually gave up on it as the problems were exactly the same.

Today I have installed a new pci-e x4 card with 10gbs bandwidth which I have just my Reverb G2 connected to. My PT motion is now on my other pci-e x1 card by itself and with the sc2 pro direct to my mobo on a 3.1 gen2 port.

I have also moved my sc2 pro psu around to a different mains and running lower FFB torque from 8Nm upwards via TD to see if I can get the system stable. So far it is hanging on well without disconnects but I dont want to speak too soon as I thought I had it sorted couple times before only to have the disconnects start again.

Thanks heaps for all the suggestions and advice from you and other guys here including Mika - I am determined to get to the root of the issue and sort it - just keep plugging away !

@blanes This probably won’t rectify the issue but as a bit of a long shot and just to rule something out, could you try temporarily switching off XMP/DOCP and going back to the default 2400 ram speed, just to see if there is any noticeable change in reliability?

I’m not saying that it would point to PSU, it would just give us something (anything) to go on with troubleshooting your issue.

2021.4_4 is the latest stable with the known to be stable USB code. If he uses wireless wheels, it is very much recommended to use the latest version. There was a buffer overflow issue in the fimware, that could have caused literally all kinds of funny things in the previous versions, but the most typical manifestation was a wireless wheel buttons to stop working momentarily.

Hey @EsxPaul ~ Yeah Paul good idea, I try that early on and I do not have anything else overclocked. It did not change the situation unfortunately but was worth trying for sure.

@Mika ~ Ok for sure, I only asked could the problem be with the psu or lie somewhere else. It is logical to ask these questions to eliminate possibilities. I am not here to do battle with you - I apologise for any misunderstanding but I am not attacking your product, only trying to understand in working towards a solution.

I am using the 2021.4_4 FW and will stick with for sure. I am still testing with lower FFB working fine at the moment but I also fitted new usb hub and changed my power supply to different position. So far so good but time will tell.