Strange Cogging Like Behavior

I personally haven’t felt any cogging in or out sim but maybe it’s also settings dependent.

The only unpleasant thing I’ve felt with the SC2 FFB wise is the ripple feeling you get in iracing but that has obviously nothing to do with the SC2.

I run recon at 6 because I don’t like the grainy feeling you get in iracing

1 Like

Thanks for the input guys, this definitely leaves me confused to an extent. Maybe it is a bit of a lottery if you get a bit of graininess? I have to run 9 or 10 in iRacing or else I feel this weird vibration if I turn the steering lightly.

Could be encoder calibration issue or just defective unit. I’d opt for replacement or if not possible sending in for inspection and repair.

1 Like

Is this the wheel with the 2 motors for vibration? F1esportsV2? What quick release do you use? On the official Fanatec website they write:
“In order to operate this product, a compatible Fanatec Wheel Base (not included) is mandatory!” But this statement is attached to all wheels of them, don’t know if this is really the case

1 Like

Thanks @Andrew_WOT,
I wonder if support will allow me to still ship it if they think it is normal. I am wondering if maybe I’ll have to pay even if its under warranty. It would be nice for the peace of mind though.

@CLAYREGAZZONI Yes that is the wheel! I am using the Simucube QR. There are actually conversion kits for these to use with Simucube or any other wheelbase. They are from SimRacingMachines.

Why wouldn’t they, that’s what they promised after all? As a consumer you have full rights to get what is advertised, if you are not satisfied, demand refund or a replacement.

We discussed the phenomena with the original poster.

He runs quite high damping, and the thing he is experiencing with his quite light wheel in fast steering movements, is not cogging at all. We think it is something to do with some servo drive algorithms, and that is completely normal, and should be quite similar in all Simucube 2 units. Also, as it is felt in those high movements, one wouldn’t be able to discern it in simulator driving situations.

1 Like

Thanks for the information!! I was also looking for the translation of the word “cogging”. Isn’t it a more an audible perception, coming from the motor? Because cogging isn’t really plausible with a brushless servo motor. Is there a video that I missed? Or do you have one?

@Mika I did mention to everyone what support said above - a few seemed concerned that they still did not feel those effects I mentioned but I’m sure they do not have my wheel. I was looking at higher quality rims and ones like the GSI do seem about the same weight but maybe the better metal components will assist with that. Appreciate you chiming in on the matter again.

@CLAYREGAZZONI that is correct - it definitely is not actual cogging. I started calling it graininess to prevent confusion.

Can’t exactly remember when it was, but:
Out of the blue I had a strange sound coming from the motor. An electric “crying”, as if two parts rub against each other, or something is overstretched. But I couldn’t feel anything at the steering wheel. It occurred at Spa, in AC, with 100% torque and with a RSS Formula car. If I remember good it was coming from a TD version that created more audible sounds, or made them easier to be heard. Does this sounds familiar, or is it totally different?

I have already written on a different topic, but I did not get an answer.

I’ve been racing iRacing at the Porsche CUP and recently the IRX, and I’ve noticed that there’s a terrible cogging back at the IRX that doesn’t exist in PCUP. I have tried different settings and can’t get it right.

I have the reconstruction filter on 5

What could be the reason?