Simucube vs In Game Strength Settings

For efficient support requests, please consider using the template below. Fill-in the (blanks) and provide additional info when necessary. Thank you! Best regards, Granite Devices team.

I have a question regarding Simucube regarding overall strength settings in any racing game.

My hardware configuration:
-20nm DD from Simracingbay
-small Mige
Simucube latest version

I was wondering what thoughts people might have regarding setting the overall levels.

Some set the overall at 100% in Simucube and adjust to taste in game.
Some go the other way and set 100% in game and adjust to taste in Simucube.

I have read differing opinions in the forums but canā€™t seem to get a handle on which is more proper.

The one that makes the most sense to me is to run the game at 100% and adjust in Simucube.
I seems that you want the most information and widest range of signal coming from the source then making your hardware feel the way that you want.

Which approach is the more proper in this regard? It would be interesting to hear from the folks in this community as to which one to use.

This also depends what game is being used, as iRacing slider (in linear Nm mode, youā€™ve set it, right?) uses the value as the maximum signal strength vs telemetry Nm, and scales smaller Nm values linearly. Other games just use either signal scaling with no ā€œscienceā€ behind it, and some other use DirectInput Device Gain parameter, which is now supported in SimuCUBE firmware since 0.8.12 version.

For maximum fidelity so that force gets scaled at the drive, use maximum strength in game (if its just dummy slider) and use SimuCUBE slider to set strength.

1 Like

So, do we know:

(1) Which games have a ā€˜dummyā€™ slider and should be max strength in game and adjust in SimuCUBE?
(1) Which games, in addition to iRacing, should be max strength in SimuCUBE and adjust in game?

The problem you can run into when using 100% game-FFB strength is that some titles donā€™t account for signal clipping (soft-clipping) very well so it is up to the user to test and be sure that clipping is working at an acceptable level.

When signal clipping occurs in game-FFB output, it is naturally transferred to the hardware so the first step in avoiding clipping is on the software side. Assetto Corsa developers tuned the signal to just exceed the clipping threshold using one car / track combination so others may exceed it by quite a lot. I have experienced it many times and can generally recognize it immediately while turning hard provided the game provides sufficient detail.

Some in-game clipping meters are said to be unreliable or inconsistent so some of us have become accustomed to setting the hardware driver strength at / near max and use the game-FFB strength slider to limit forces. In theory, this should insure that no soft-clipping occurs so long as the setting is below 50-75% in most titles. From my use experience with both the OSW and AccuForce, this seems to be 100% reliable in avoiding soft-clipping.

Some games offer the added benefit of real-time FFB strength tuning while driving so you want to have a good amount of headroom in FFB-strength with which to increase forces with certain cars. AC has a per-car FFB key-press feature and PC2 offers the ability to change both the FFB strength and curvature of front / rear grip-loss feel by use of controller buttons.

For those reasons, I always use the game-FFB to set the force strength and simplify / guarantee that Iā€™m not having soft-clipping issues. This approach was studied and recorded / graphed by a member of the Assetto Corsa forums some time ago and has proven to be a great way to get consistent and reliable results using many steering systems including DD.

I do not own iracing, but thank you for your input.

Thank you for the detailed explanation. It makes a lot of sense and I will try that approach.
And of course, now I will have to go back and redo all my settingsā€¦lol

Yeah, thatā€™s the other part thatā€™s easy to forget about until we have to apply it to multiple titles. :slight_smile:

Thatā€™s a great explanation and has always been my understanding also. Consequently, I run Assetto Corsa at 100% SimuCUBE, 45% in game gain and in-car FFB usually between 80 and 100.

1 Like

I will try thatā€¦thanks. If you have any other sims that you race, please share your settingsā€¦
I currently race in PCARS 2, RF2, RRRE, and Assetto Corsa. PCARS 2 is my favorite presently, probably because itā€™s newest.

I think you may find those settings provide a good starting point across all titles. Of course, PC2 has the ability to adjust the force level in-game (Volume) which I find useful too. The Tone setting is very sensitive to changes and can also be assigned to buttons for tuning in-game and is great for finding a good balance between feeling under-steer (front grip-loss) / over-steer (rear grip-loss).

RaceRoom is one title that needs some file tweaks beyond the game-FFB settings to work well with the OSW IMO but, that needs itā€™s own thread. :slight_smile: You can find more info in the Sector3 forums by searching the OSW-related threads.

Both AMS and rF2 can benefit from some fine-tuning in the controller file (mostly to reduce strong curb effects / off-track adventures). Reducing the ā€œCurb Pullā€ alone can help (rF2 game folder / userdata / controller / ā€œcontroller-nameā€.json). In AMS, the file is in ā€œGame Folderā€ / userdata / controller / ā€œcontroller nameā€.ini. In either case, various other recommended tweaks for DD-wheels can be found in related game forums. rF2 needs to have the ā€œSteering Effects Strengthā€ reversed by changing that to ā€œ-10000ā€ and youā€™ll want to reduce the per-car FFB level in game-FFB to about 40%.

The main one in AC is to enable the ā€œGyroā€ feature (found in the assetto_corsa.ini file in the main game folder / system / config); Gyro=1 to enable. This stabilizes the steering with DD-wheels and eliminates oscillation in my experience.