SimuCUBE Open Source Firmware Development Update Thread

I am starting to get excited

Hopefully the week, during which the closed beta testing can begin!

Fixed bugs that Beano reported over the weekend.

Some usability improvements as reported by Brion Sohn will need to be tested - the wish was for auto-applying settings, but this could induce lag into the UI as the configuration software is single threaded.

Also investigation greatly varying times for flashing Ioni firmware, and whether the flash will get stuck at finish or not.

1 Like

Auto-applying settings have been implemented. UI has been tweaked and re-tweaked.

One bug to fix before closed beta. Could I promise wednesday?

4 Likes

Just hoping Iā€™m one of the 50 early sign upsā€¦

Great work guys

I added bug report thread and a poll for what you would want to have working next.

1 Like

Hereā€™s the list of people in the Beta

https://community.granitedevices.com/groups/simucube-beta

1 Like

just to ask: did any of the Ī± testers try something like AC or AMS?

They are free to try. I wouldnā€™t be surprised if they already work; just havenā€™t got any time to test.

Things are fine if they use forces exactly the same way as rFactor 2 and iRacing. rFactor 2 uses sine effect with magnitude = 0 and offset = -10000 ā€¦ 10000, that is, the offset tells the force level. iRacing uses a constantforce effect with magnitude = -10000 ā€¦ 10000.

The firmware doesnā€™t do any effects that are time dependant, such as ramp forces and sinusoidal signals. I will add them when I come across an actual sim that uses them. Actually, rFactor 1 had huge amount of these, thats why the firmware doesnā€™t support it currently. I have to soon try rFactor 1 with RealFeel plugin, as I believe it uses something more sensible for a simulator-type of product!

However, actually implementing time-dependent effects is going to take some considerable amount of time, because the DirectInput API also allows to use so called ā€œeffect envelopesā€ for them too. Envelope would, on top of a playing effect, add a mask where the output would be scaled at start with a rising magnitude and at the end with a lowering magnitude. So things get complicated pretty fast, and I hope that we can cover >90% of the sim market without implementing them early.

Edit:

To add, if any of these sims uses friction or inertia effect ā€œset by the simā€, then we donā€™t currently do anything with that. I think we should, but Iā€™m not yet sure whether to update the values to Ioni and have Ioni do it, or by having the SimuCUBE firmware do the processing.

2 Likes

Great progress, thanx Mika!!

Let me go do some testing :slight_smile:

Jippeeeee, it is happening, guys!

Cheers,
Beano

1st Closed Beta 0.4.1

Awesome, very exciting stuff. How do we download the beta if we were one of the 50?

You will receive an email with a link, Nick

Great, I will keep my eyes glued to my inbox!

Actually, I think I will post it right on this forum. On front page, all the way down, there is a separate area only visible to beta testing group. I will send email only if this forum software allows it.

But, i will wait any last minute bugs tonight. The release wil be tomorrow evening, sometime in the evening, UTC+3.

1 Like

Been running 2 hours, no bugs yet, feels very good!!

Cheers,
Beano

It is quite common on many forums to find those that doesnā€™t believe in the contribution a good wheel can make.

Let me show you the consistency you can have with a low-latency input device, with quality FFB - in the below screenshot, I am doing groups of 4 laps each (1 outlap/3 hotlaps) testing in the Moocedes around SPA. This the new open-source fw running on my OSW.

I am running around 20NM torque here, weather was at 24deg C track temp.

Consistency through the roof. The slight variance between the different groups, was me playing with the rear toe to stabilize the back due to a very loose oversteer on/off throttle set I developed.

I will just leave this here. Please note I am no alien, just an old fart with poor eyesight

I havenā€™t heard any showstopper bug reports. Looking good!

Canā€™t wait to hear how us mere mortals with only 5,000 & 10,000ppr encoders feel vs Beano ā€˜Oh, I just happen to have these amazing bonkers encoders etc knocking around the houseā€™ lol

Keep the info coming Beano, loving your work!!

Just got home from gottage and I see that the beta is about to go live :PogChamp: Or is it already? I think Iā€™m in the beta testing group as seen in that link above but canā€™t see any downloadable files. Guess Iā€™m too anxious? :slight_smile:

See my post at the forum section that is only visible to the beta testing group!

1 Like