SimuCUBE Open Source Firmware Development Update Thread

080 feels good to me a bite more alive. the 60hz signal of iracing becomes more prominent. i run irffb now with 360hz iracing ffb. and that feels real good on 080. using recon filter 3

Mika,

I do not see how we can get to a point that users do not have " the possibility to configure via Granity." unless many more settings are accessable from the configuration tool.

Functions that need to be added to Configuration tool first I would think should be the following.

1. My suggestion is to add a button that gives access to view the testing tab for people who are having issues.

2)Access to Faults tab or adjust FOV and FUV in configuration tool

Question?
In version 8 with MMC adjustment capability is the MCC automatically being set .5 amp lower than the set MMC?

Well, there are only a handful of configurations that are very, very common, as sold by our resellers, so they can develop just one working common configuration file for their setups. Then for the DIY builders and those that want to tinker, we would have the Granity. Also the configuration tool does not currently read any faults, but that can be added on some level.

Those shouldnā€™t need to be adjusted ever for 95% of the users if they use correct configuration file supplied by their system builder, and in case where a builder has sent a ready setup with firmware inside, then not even that is required to use.

No, not yet. These kind of imperfections (and others that have come up) were the reason I didnā€™t want to release the 0.8.0 to the wild. I will, however, try to go things through, add these things, and then release it.

In addition, the wheel will always init at the max MMC setting, not one from a profile. So, no worries there.

Mika I am one of those resellers who has built many many controls and I can tell you it is very important for the end user to have access to the testing tab.
It is one of the most important tools to analyze a persons problem.

Adjusting the FOV has been a very common cure to many peoples problems.

1 Like

Mika and just to let you know I am not trying to be a thorn in your side! :slight_smile:

I have just survived a pretty bad illness and have started to build controls again!!!

I am trying to avoid forseen issues. I hope you value my input.

Due to the different resistance and inductance of the exact same model of motor it is important for the end user to be able to push the button in the machine tab.
I do not know what the other resellers do, but I do not always match the control and motor it was tested with to be shipped to the customer.
ie: All of my controls and motors get tested, but not matched and then sent out.

Hi, I can`t find link to ver 0.8.0? Is it been deleted ?

It has not been publicly released, as the quality was not good enough.

1 Like

It is indeed the case that the limited-distribution 0.8.0 had both scaling via MMC and scaling via input signal enabledā€¦ :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Can we expect .81 today or tommorow ? :slight_smile:

Canā€™t promise anythingā€¦ #soon.

edit: Just need to try to a fix to a bug where settings can be automatically applied, user selects a new profile during that process, and then the new profile does not get applied at all. Time window for this possibility is maybe 1 ms * number of profiles user has, but it can happenā€¦

4 Likes

Indeed, some kind of testing/error reporting and fault clearing is missing from the SimuCUBE control tool.
Mine did produce a (rare) overvoltage fault recently. Currently, you have to:

1. start SimuCUBE
  2. enable IONI USB communication (donā€™t get why this defaults to off)
  3. start Granity
  4. figure out what went wrong
  5. make adjustments (if any), clear faults
  6. good to go again

IMO thatā€™s waaaaaay to many steps to clear it. Of course, you could just restart it, but then you donā€™t even know what happened.

SimuCUBE firmware communicates to IONI via SimpleMotion serial bus rather than PWM-DIR signaling like the MMOS did. This enables things such as advanced encoder support, etc. This is exactly the same bus and also protocol that Granity uses to communicate to IONI.

Simplemotion is a protocol based on RS485, and only one device can be a Master, and other are Slaves. IONI is always the Slave device on the bus. With MMOS, the USB connection with an USB-RS485 bridge chip was the Master, but in SimuCUBE firmware the Firmware has to be the Master to be able communicate. This has to be toggled and also the baudrate will have to be set to default baudrate before communication to IONI can work from the USB connector.

1 Like

I am ok with the way it is as long as we still have access to granity.

My comment to Mika was mostly about his/granite considering not letting the end user have access to granity anymore is a bad idea.

Hi Joe,

Mika and I have had a small amount of discussion re: an advanced settings Tab which will allow things like Encoder type to be reset as well as Max Wattage and possibly a few other thingsā€¦ Depending on how things can be accessed it might be possible to make FOV and FUV settings automatic by reading the HVbus voltage and setting the appropriate figuresā€¦ As well MCC actually should be set to about 15-20% lower than MMC as there are times when the IONI WILL NOT phase due to the MMC and MCC being too close together so that has to be worked into the system so generally this would again be an automatic calculated setting based on the MMC that is initialized into the system.

It would be nice to actually be able to get completely away from Granity with a possible embedded profile for all of the standard Granity settingsā€¦ Then the Advanced Settings Tab to be able to set the few Machine Specific things that cannot be calculated automaticallyā€¦ Though this is probably a little way off as other things get fixedā€¦

I think with a few Calculated adjustments AND a Set of other standardized common settings we can actually eliminate 99% of the fault issues that we come across as the most common initialization issue is the MMC and MCC being too close together or the FOC being set lower than Maximum.

Brion

Brion,

In the long run and in a perfect world if all of that happens very cool. Until then at MINIMUM resellers need access to Granity for all of our builds even it means we have to remotely access a customers control.

I personall think we are far off from Granite not allowing us that access, but since it was mentioned I had to speak up.

I do not know your relationship with Granite I just see you say ā€œweā€ alot in your discussions. So if you do have input I hope you suggest the smart thing.

You know as you have helped many people with OSW how important it is to have people look at things in the testing tab and make adjustments in the machine and faults tab.

I am not as active on the forums as I used to be, but people still contact me very frequently for help.

I would also suggest we get the word out for people to backup/save their drc before upgrading. Since the open beta I have heard from many that their settings have become unusable and they are asking for the original drc from when I sent them the builds.

Talk later,
Joe

I say ā€œweā€ as in Mika and I discussingā€¦ I am not employed by Granite in anywayā€¦ and in some cases it may just be my customer service mode from owning my own business myself in the way things are discussedā€¦ I actually donā€™t think that Granity access will be eliminated anytime soon until there is enough either access in the SimuCUBE firmware OR access through other meansā€¦

What is trying to be done from our discussions is to basically eliminate access to all of the Non-Critical items for the general user as there is a TON of stuff in Granity that is not used for our purposes that can actually cause it to error or do weird things if altered. The thing would be to not allow access to that for the general user which would of course make troubleshooting easier as well since the user canā€™t actually adjust those things.

At the moment even if Granity access was chosen to be inaccessible through the SimuCUBE Firmware direct, I think, what Mika was trying to explain is that a Reseller could set-up up a standard DRC that could then be mailed, entered through configuration, and then if that DRC had the correct Granity settings it should work to correct issues.

It is understandable though that right now we (all of us) have no troubleshooting information directly within the firmware so we donā€™t know WHAT is actually faultingā€¦ Maybe that is something that can be pulled from the IONI on a fault such as when the motor faults it could say ā€œMotor Has Faulted - ID #xxxxxxxā€ in the area where it just says Motor faulted or generally ā€œOperationalā€.

Mika really has the last word on most everything as far as the Firmware goes at the moment so in the end the descisions are his to make on what to program inā€¦

I know the intention is to make it pretty bullet proof but there is some issue with that due to all of the different parts that could be used. Personally I would like to see an advanced settings tab and the following - These were my suggestions:

Embedded .drc settings for all machine settings not below or calculated.

Advanced Settings Tab with the following inputs allowed:

Motor Type
Motor Pole Count
Motor Torque Constant (for estimated actual power output to be shown with the strength slider)
Encoder Type (Incrementas, SinCOS 64x, SINCOS 256x, BiSS B, ectā€¦)
Encoder Count (CPR, Line Count, or ST Bits)
Max Amperage POS (MMC - w/ protection by not allowing a setting above the Specific IONI installed)
Max Wattage (MPP)

Automatic Setting of the following through detection from the IONI:

FOV - from detection of the HV+ Bus voltage (add 1.5V - 2V)
FBR - Calculated from Encoder type and Encoder Count entered above
MCC - Calculated 15-20% less than MMC (done while scaling as well)
Estimated Max Power of the wheel shown with the Strength slider.

These are new Suggestions that I just thought of but I am sure Mika will read:

ML and MR - Initiate test (just like the button in granity) within the Configure Motor, Encoder and Centerpoint Wizard so these are set to the Motor someone has.
Move the IONI USB Configuration Mode button into the Advanced Setting Tab.

Other than That I am not sure if anything else would be needed as I think 99% of any issues will be solved by the calculations of the settings and the Embedded Settingsā€¦ Generally the issues I have seen are FOC not being set to Maximum (which would be embedded) and the MMC and MCC being too close together not allowing for initialization to occur (calculated to allow for good headroom). There have also been a few but not many issues due to over taxing the Power Supply which the Maximum Wattege (MPP) setting should limit for lower power supplies. I think the above suggestions make for a fairly easy and ultimately completely configurable system with pretty much any hardware combination without the need to ever really go into Granity again.

Actually all of these settings could be only accessible through the Configure Motor, Encoder, and Centerpoint wizard (might actually have to be there if they are to save onto the IONI or it would have to save to drive after exiting the Advanced Configuration Tab) in an advanced set-up sequencing of the wizard (Maybe?) then the advanced Configuration Tab might not even be needed.

Yep, Brion has been very helpful in writing up the user manual and tidying up the UI during the whole beta phase. If there was an award for most bugs found (including myself), it would still go to Brion.

This firmware development has been a community effort behind the scenes since the beginning of the summer. We are trying to make it easier for other people to get involved, and hopefully that can get realized soon.

3 Likes

Yes Brion is very helpful and also a nice guy. :slight_smile:

I agree with Brionā€™s ideas in his previous message. If we could have something like the advanced tab with the major needed settings from granity then there would not be a need for end user to access granity.

Oh by the way the new Firmware feels really nice! :slight_smile:

Question:

If I sent a control to a person with your new firmware installed,but without an Ioni installed and they installed their own Ioni with old firmware would the new firmware update the Ioni to the proper firmware?

If not what would you suggest in a case like this?
I have had several request from people who have Ioni1x builds who want to upgrade to Simucube.

Advanced tab sounds good to me.
Thanks for letting me know what is going on.