SimuCUBE Open Source Firmware Development Update Thread

Thanks for making this official!

I was worried that guys would invest $$ in something that will not work.
Also it would start to be a support NIGHTMARE.

1 Like

I’m just now having a hard look at the current code, and it seems that it already checks whether the version of Ioni Firmware is smaller than required instead of exactly the correct version. So, flashing the latest Ioni firmware should already work without SimuCUBE trying to overwrite it.

1 Like

The next closed beta will be very soon. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just a couple of quick questions

Any idea what sort of timescale we are looking at for public release, is it months or weeks?
I am speaking to one of my customers about delaying quite a large install but we do have a deadline

Will we be able to brand the GUI in some way?

Public beta will happen when its ready. I didn’t have time this week that I though I had, so I still have to test the profile management; and for research purposes, I’ve implemented a simple export/import for analog settings data, as setting those values all over again after enough of a step in firmware version number is not fun.

I did a code review today, and the profile management should work.

Public beta release timescale is week(s), and public stable “production” release might be weeks to 1-2 months, depending on what we eventually will be calling the stable release. At least we will have to implement some effects that are used in games, such as game-controlled damping.

GUI will remain closed-source. We will be able to change the logo for customers, when we get closer to stable version.

One idea could be that the Configuration Tool would look for a certain PNG file in the installation folder, and if found, show it instead of our supplied logo. Would this work for branding purposes?

1 Like

Thanks Mika that gives me a good idea of how to proceed

Simply replacing the PNG is an excellent idea quick and simple

Works perfect for me :wink:

This data is not servo-specific, it’s only sim-specific, right?
What data would you need exactly?

Ok, I guess most people won’t need that many. :smiley:
Actually this gave me an idea, which is something I like about the Steam Controller:
it would be nice if there was a way to exchange profiles for games.
For most proper sims, this doesn’t matter too much as it’s normally ok to just do the most basic settings and you’re good to go.
However, many vintage racing games have some kind of “special” FFB in that they do weird stuff.
e.g. I ran Test Drive Unlimited recently and while it felt quite good on my SimuCUBE, I think it could be improved with changing a few settings.
I just need to find the time to play with the settings for a bit and find the perfect setup.
However, when I did that, others should be able to profit from it, so they don’t need to do this again.
Hence uploading the profile would be a nice feature. :slight_smile:
(Of course one can always upload it via a forum like this.)

Edit: bonus points if there is a rating function for downloaded profiles. :wink:

Yes, its sim-specific.

The needed data is text data, that the firmware outputs to hardware serial port on simucube, and for ffb data output, I would need to compile a special build. It doesn’t make much sense for you guys to purchase suitable USB-TTL serial adapters, as having/getting the data is about 1% of the time needed, and I would need to spend extra time to compile a version that outputted sensible data. In addition, when the data is outputted to USB port, the FFB can be unusable as printf() printing can take so much time that communication with Ioni can fault too often to make the system usable as a ffb steering wheel.

Profile export and import is coming, but not at the first version that has profile management. Although I did yesterday the analog configuration export/import. If it works as I expect, then I think that is a good base to build similar functionality for (more complex) profile settings.

Wouldn’t it be much easier if you could just do this yourself for every game?
I’m sure that at least the active devs would happily share a key with you.

What I meant is not only export/import, but also an online database you can access from within the config tool.
This would make it much more easy and straight forward to share profiles.

Another idea, which however might be out of scope, at least for the moment being:
You might know that quite a few people have SLI displays or similar installed to their rig.

Maybe it could be possible to provide an API so that some configuration options for the SimuCUBE could be changed from within such an inferface, thus omitting the need to start up the SimuCUBE config tool (and hence switch programs).
Of course, that wouldn’t make sense for all parameters (especially not to clutter the interface), but it could e.g. be handy for:

• Profile switching
  • Overall Gain
  • lock-to-lock angle
  • (Re)set wheel center

Thats what I intend to do when I get around to it. It really is no big deal and has to be done anyway, and it will be faster to implement support during the same development session.

It would be possible, if there is sufficient interest. Keep in mind, that the developers of the sli software (I don’t even know who they are) would have to be interested in doing this, and also someone would need to supply required development hardware for testing/debugging purposes.

Changing anything other than profiles would be really need a hard look into, as there is an API already for that.

2 Likes

Yes, of course. There is no point in providing APIs, if there is no interest. :wink:

I don’t own such a device, so I’m not in contact with the respective persons, someone else will have to ask them.

Mika, been reading the forum, is there a safety feature which cuts the peak if it gets too high without reducing the fidelity? In a case of a crash it would be nice to have such a safety feature. I sprained my wrist on one occasion and it’s still not perfectly healed.

Kind Regards

There is a safety interlock in current ioni fw where you can opt to restrict radial velocity of the servo…you will need to play to find what works best for you though…

Cheers,
Beano

That’s good to know Beano, will the safety interlock be adjustable through the UI?

It is already existing in the IONI FW…you can set it through the Granity Interface…It is one of those you’re likely to set-and-forget :wink:

I doubt it will come to the UI

What is the name of the setting and where is it located?

Any idea of a good setting to start with?

Thanks,
Joe