SimuCUBE Open Source Firmware Development Update Thread 2

Wireless wheel image loading will also be on Simucube 1 software.

2 Likes

Progress WAHOOOOOO!!!

Youā€™re killing it! @Mika Great job to you guys!

There is a 0.50.4d release out, which could/should fix a hang issue if the original 0.50.4 release does not start / hangs at start.

2 Likes

Link. https://granitedevices.com/wiki/SimuCUBE_firmware_releases

Thanks Mika - I never had ā€˜hangingā€™ with 0.50.4c (whatever the last one was), so no need to update?
Was this specific to certain motor/encoders?
I am replacing the SinCOS with the Biss-C today, so if itā€™s happening with Biss-C encoders that would be good to know.

no, I believe it was spesific to some windows version / motherboard USB driver or something. Windows does not know what encoder is inside the motor!

No need to update if your Simucube Configuration Tool does not hang at start (preventing you from using it completely).

We also had this issue in some True Drive testing version during the summer 2019, fixed it, but somehow it passed through to the Simucube 1 release unfixed. Someone had issue this week on iRacing forum about this, and I had just done the True Drive -> SC1 code review/improvement last week so the patch was straightforward.

1 Like

Interested as to why you changed from the sincos to the biss C ?

I have the Biss-C and run 0.50.4c and Iā€™ve never had any problems with hanging.

Hi Mika, I build custom motor for my SC1. It is Lenze MCS12 with SinCos encoder from Heidenhain ā€“ 5000 lines. I want to ask ā€¦ Will it work just fine with this new update?

Yes it will. There will be no changes that affect functionality of sincos encoders.

Its been a whileā€¦

14 Likes

Are we making some progress?

Thanks for anything new and wonderful you can come up with!!!

1 Like

Joe, donā€™t worry, I will poke my head in at GD HO next Saturday, I am heading over to Finland again :slight_smile:

Will take a sneak-peak about what the boys are up to and feedback here - that is, if I survive the beers and pizza :joy:

@Mika: I raise youā€¦ resurrected from my parts-bin - for those that donā€™t know, that is how we started on the direct-drive wheel path in July 2014. The venerable Argon drive-controllerā€¦

5 Likes

@Joe it is enough progress that Iā€™ve updated the wiki page with changelog.

5 Likes

You have to start somewhere.:grin::grin:

Ahhh the Argon. What a nice peice of hardware. I still think it was superior in some ways to the Ioni.

If we could have a line voltage control like the Argon with electronics and software like SC1& SC2 available for DIY that would be like heaven.:grinning:

Donā€™t try to keep up with the Finnā€™s drinking. You will lose!!
And if you go skating wear more padding for when you fall and go BOOM!:see_no_evil:

2 Likes

Mika, when do you think we will have a new firmware for Simucube 1 users?

When it is ready. But we are making concrete progress last week and the upcoming week.

5 Likes

@Joe: IMHO, the only place where Argon was better, was specifically wrt voltage, it might have supported perhaps a bigger range of servos, but in the other hand, it was very much limited wrt current, compared to the IONI Pro HCā€¦

So the Devil or the Deep Blue Seaā€¦voltage limited vs current-limitedā€¦at the end, Ioni offers quite a lot more in processing-capability, especially where DD wheels are concerned. For motion though, Argon probably the better choice, due to higher servo rpm requirementsā€¦

I think this time I will stay off the ice, almost broke my neck last time - probably caused a 4 on the Ricther Scale :joy: