SimuCUBE Open Source Firmware: Beta version 0.5.X BUG Reports

The problem was corrupt mmos dfu.
Carry on Sir no problems here:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I have flashed back and forth quite a few times without any issues, Joe. DFU-flash (in this instance) will totally wipe the contents of the flash and overwrite it with something fresh. If there are any issues, this will be an issue not attributable to the os fw.

Above just as reference to everyone else, I know you found the issue.

Cheers,
Beano

Hey Beano,

Agreed it should not be an issue. I had switched back and forth on another control no issues.

I am glad I suspected the mmos dfu. I downloaded a new file and it worked perfect. :slight_smile:

Great stuff, and glad to be hearing from you again!! :slight_smile:

Uhm…it would make sense if you have a clean unflashed SimuCUBE on a fresh Windows install, that you will need to flash the FW to the SimuCUBE in order to tell Windows "Hello, here I am, new HID Devíce’

Then Windows will load the default MS HID compliant driver from its own library…

But it doesn’t make sense if you have a ready-flashed SimuCUBE, and the new OS Tuner open, that it won’t load the correct driver on MS on a fresh install.

Sorry, more talking to myself here, trying to logically think this process through. Like Mika says, once the FW is loaded, and you have the OS Tuner running, the dialogue button allows you to switch the RS485 bus to either communicate via HID Game to the SimuCUBE micro, or Granity config port to the IONI micro…

Your thought process is exactly like I thought it would work… But when opening the Configuration it just said everything was unavailable…Only swithching to the DFU Mode and having the board load in DFU mode manually (restarting) and then going back to run solved it… It is strange… again only a clean instal issue though… but possibly an issue is someone never had a OSW attached also.

Yes good to be involved again.

It sucks to be ill, But I am still on the green side of the dirt!!! :slight_smile:

@Sean:
Yes, I see the same thing when I open the GUI on my Surface Pro 4 - resolution 2736x1824 - a weird resolution, I know…

just because Mika was asking for screen shots.
doesn’t bother me a bit

Yep, thanks for the screenshot.

I think Granity has similar issues?

We will have to future proof the configuration tool, so perhaps need to look into Qt’s possibilities for high-dpi scaling a bit more.

no, in Granity (1.13) all text seems fine, AFAIR. But I can check again.

Replying to the USB issue here.

I have now managed to reproduce the USB stack going nuts and producing a hardfault exception on the processor. This will halt the cpu and might be the cause for this issue.

This happens only on first-time install, and might be related to how Windows does things.

Not very high on the todo list, as it won’t prevent the user to use the system, once everything is set up. Bootloader is difficult, as the CPU will change the running program on the fly, in addition to the USB peripheral settings. I will have to test if the system goes to bootloader reliably.

Thanx Mika, appreciate the feedback!

I will be out of circulation for the next 12-14 hours, now traveling to Indonesia. Will check back tonight again.

Hi Mika

Just a point of positiveness the Firmware as performed well in all sims I have thrown at it. ( Iracing, AC, AMS, RF2 ) and it is reliable and enjoyable. I have found settings that just blow me away every time I drive. Well done its a Credit to all involved.

2 Likes

I have this exact same issue that just happened in between iRacing sessions.
Simucube shows 'Operation Mode: Disconnected" and in Device manager under USB controllers, I have an "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed).
I tried going back to a Macrium Image from a week or so ago, but the problem persisted, and I imagine will persist even with a Fresh install of Win 11.
Simucube software is completely unresponsive, can’t even get into Granity or ‘Start from Scratch’.
When turning on, Simucube motor makes the usual sound, and there is force in the motor so it’s not hardware. No flashing lights inside the SC enclosure.

Appreciate any help on resolving this.

I am on the latest FW version 1.0.40 (Config Tool version 1.0.39)

Its unlikely that this is a firmware issue. The microcontroller on the Simucube has probably died (or its USB interface has), or, less likely, the ESD protection diodes have taken damage.

Hey Mika,

I never thought about it before, is there an estimated life expectancy of SC1 boards?
10,000hrs etc

I don’t think such have been calculated.

Ok thanks.
We know they last a long time. :slight_smile: