SimuCUBE/IONI drive, does it run hot?

Ha, maybe later I could post some pix of one I did…I managed to squeeze noctua 80mm in there…but it’s a very tight fit…

60mm looks nice though, well done :wink:

1 Like

yes but you got a cheater custom case which is bigger and a bigger psu :smiley:

I wish the SimuCUBE board had a pwm fan connector though and perhaps a 12 volt rail, would make things easier :slight_smile:

1 Like

Would need a 12 V regulator then, only for that single reason.

1 Like

The Noctura fans are really quiet… I had one of the Grey 60mm ones (forgot the number) in my original SimuCUBE case before I stuffed everything into my computer.

I picked up a noctua NF-A4x10 FLX (12v) but cant get it to run.

I currently have the large 200mm case fan hooked up which works, but it doesnt blow enough air.

I striped the cables on a couple of the noctua connectors and placed on the fan header at the right polarity but it doesnt spin up.

The noctua is fine, i plugged it into my pc and it spun.

Will it only work if i strip the wires from the fan itself? Could the stripped connectors be causing the issue?

The simucube needs a 5v fan… though some 12v fans can run (if they start) they will run very slow… If you are not using super high power from the wheel you should be able to run without a fan… the more important part to cool is the braking resistor.

Hijacking this thread since it’s related, but I bought a 5V PWM 92mm noctua fan (NF-A9 5V PWM), and it’s louder than I want it to be. Can I install an inline PWM controller like the noctua NA-FC1 (https://noctua.at/en/na-fc1) or would this draw additional power?

Most common thing to do is to use a 12 V fan. Noctua has (I think) two 92mm models, and by selecting the higher RPM one, one can be pretty sure that it will spin up at 5V.

5 V fan is designed to run at its design speed already at 5 V so it will be much louder.

The original fan in the Simucube acrylic case kits was a 12 V fan.

You could also make a resistor based voltage divider to lower the voltage to the fan slowing it down.

How low of a speed can we get away with here? I have a 1450 rpm gentle typhoon I found while cleaning up storage, and it starts up at 5V. I found an old review with a fan curve:

It turns 570 rpm at 5.1V. I feel a light breeze behind the fan. Is that enough? It is completely silent at that speed which I love. This is to cool an ioni pro HC with SDR-480-48. I can probably cool both with the surface area of the 120mm fan

Yes, that’s good enough, all you need is to move the hot air away from the hot components’ surfaces.

A very slight airflow = more than capable.