SimuCUBE Firmware v0.9.x bug reports

The latest Windows update (1803) reset all of my USB controllers/hubs back to default power management mode of allowing the port or device to sleep. I recommend going to device manager and opening the USB section at the bottom and then going through them each individually and clicking properties>power management and UNcheck allow device to sleep.
I also went through all of the HID devices and did the same.

This has been an issue for people having USB issues in the past so I think it’s a good idea to make sure windows controlling power management of devices isn’t at least part of the problem for USB related issues. This will make things easier for Mika to troubleshoot.

It’s also a good idea to check to see if under power options that for both balanced and high performance that neither have USB selective power suspend enabled.

The Windows update also sets superfetch back to enabled. It is recommended to disable superfetch at least in iRacing to prevent stutters and frame drops.

Minor bug,

• open simucube
  • select other profile than default
  • power cycle the osw
  • simucube reconnects and show default profile
  • select same profile as used before, nothing happens
  • select other profile, then select it again and it work ok.

I had that happen on an older version too but, couldn’t reproduce it again.

Same here on an older version, perhaps 0.94 I think it was. Workaround simple and easy in the rare change you encounter this.

Cheers,
Beano

Hi - I have “under voltage” issue - ndr 480 48 - 30nm mige biss-c - fuv 30 - iracing 50nm - 20A - any suggestion? thank you

Hi Levente!

We have admired your steering wheels very much.

I will get back to you on the issue tomorrow, but can you test if lowering the FUV value to e.g. 20 V has any effect?

Thank you much Mika:) - lowering to 20 V there is no problem, but the ffb feeling at this level is not so “sharp”

• lowering to 17A from 20 and iracing abowe 67nm also there is no issue
    Thank you your support

Ok, I had to look up which power supply is which. The NDR supply is not enough for the large Mige (30 Nm) motor - the error is an under voltage fault as the power supply runs out of power. You should have the SDR series power supply, it has 720 W peak load capability.

Imo not even sdr is enough for the large mige.

Try also setting mpp to 480. Imo mpp is a way overlooked setting but for me it is a great setting.

Thx the support - okay - Ill try and change it:)

Also try div=mul=100 if ypu don’t have it that way already . we did some tests with 50 etc but 100 was best suited for us.

Thx Loukas - Ill try it this weekend

As Mika Mentioned the NDR power supply is Just short of being able to run the Large Mige at full power… In testing with other users in that situation we have found that 23.5A is about the Maximum that you can go without having the Power Supply go into overload mode… It is a little surprising if you are having an issue at 20A.

If you have a 25A MMC set on the IONI the easiest method to resolve this would be to lower the SimuCUBE Power to 94% and pretty much all of the issues should be solved thought there may be a few occasions where the power will still cut. If you have your estop handy a quick reset while driving will fix it. I have this on the RARE occasion with the Large Mige and the SDR-480 @ 25A.

Once this is done what you run in iRacing strength wise will not matter, you can run the car at 1:1 or .25:1 and it will fault minimally if at all…

As for lowering the FUV to 20V you should feel no difference in the wheel by doing this as it is a threshold and not a power adjustment.

Also as @Loukas_Bourdas mentioned you can try MPP at 480…

In iRacing I do have a DRC in the Firmware Settings thread that sets MPP, FUV, FOV and all of the other settings appropriate for each Power Supply and Encoder though you would still probably have to drop to the 94% power as the .drc sets the MMC to 25A.

For the sdr we were using mpp 720 and it was really great if you compare it with unlimited. But we went and changed the psu with a real 630w and it is better now. I think i need to explain the word great. It is not that anyone will feel a real difference if going straight or racing with clean lines but if you are drifting or you are racing and somehow you loose the car and you need to recover with mpp the wheel is responding. With unlimited if the wheel locks it just doesn’t respond and you end up loosing the car. That happens with large mige at least, i don’t know about other servos.

For the cut that you mentiined that you should have the estop handy , have you checked inside granity if the fault is overvoltage? If it is then you could ask for tero or mika to give you the same ioni firmware we are testing.

1 Like

In my testing I have never run into that sort of feel difference but I suppose it could occur because the Power Supply goes into a current limitation mode so it could cause the wheel to go soft if it hits the limit… I have used 25A and .6:1 in iRacing forever and only have a cutout issue occasionally when hitting a curb HARD which should be the only time the servo ever needs power like that (unless running the indy car) as it only ever hits 27.9Nm under those sorts of situations… If you are running at a lower specific output in iRacing even if you are running at more MMC than the PS is capable off you will be less likely to have a fault under normal driving as well.

I am not totally sure but the MPP I believe is a calculation of power draw so so it may not be exact in its limitation properties but it is another safety measure, I believe it throttles output (which could be nicer than a cutout) but I could be wrong, Esa or Mika could probably shed light on how it actually works.

The cuts are Undervoltage which is a PSU current limit safety on the SDR… I do know that there were some issues at times with the latest IONI Firmware with the Newer Braking Resistor Algorithm that the Large Mige and some other High regeneration servos would trip the Over Voltage… I didn’t have that happen at all and I haven’t had that happen in years. Probably in part that I have a 50watt external Braking Resistor that was installed when my original Indigogo run single resistor unit blew…

External resistor plays no role at least for that overvoltage fault that i was talking about , since i have used 50w and 100w and 150w and we could still make it happen. But it is now fixed so no point in talking about it. I just wanted to say that with iracing without doing exagerated moves you would never see that fault.

Ok, since I never experienced that fault and haven’t talked to Mika about it I have no clue as to what the cause was… Normally, however an Over Voltage Fault will only occur if there is an issue with the Braking Resistor or Circuitry related to that… In this case though it appears that it must have been a programming threshold issue.

1 Like

I could replicate the fault at will under certain rapid steering changes both inside and outside the sim, but only with extremely fast wheel-movements as you would see with drifting, Brion. I doubt you can induce that under normal racing in iRacing.

After discussions with Loukas, I ran some tests, confirmed the issue and Tero looked into it, fine-tuning certain variables inside the sw and adjusting the regen algorithm. I could not again replicate the issue after the first round, it needed a bit more tweaking to settle Loukas’ servo.

But all good now, the developement of both Simucube and IONI FW is shaping up exactly how it was envisaged some years ago.

Very happy with where things are at at this point in time :slight_smile: A big thumbs-up to Team GD!

2 Likes

Interesting, There are always weird little things that creep up that are unexpected… Good thing it was fixable.