Simucube 2 pro slew rate

1 Like

It just doesnā€™t work, and is the reason why Asetek stopped delivering their DD products to customers. It could even be that they have to start a recall action for those DDs already delivered. But go aheadā€¦

which part doesnā€™t work? the part where people are putting astronomical amounts of force into it to try to get it to pop off? It certainly does not require a recall lol

yes ideally it shouldnā€™t but every example of that was a very extreme example lol

Released 6 days ago, February 14th 2023ā€¦ sometimesā€¦I just donā€™tā€¦Iā€¦ whateverā€¦

i honestly dont see the big deal? they froze sending out pre orders for a week so they could ā€˜ā€˜fixā€™ā€™ an issue that really isnt an issue, its just not how they designed itā€¦ nobody on planet earth is going to have that QR fail in that manor while using the wheel properly, the QR only showed the issue when the user used extreme force to make it pop off and because that is not how they intended it to behave they chose to halt shipping while they adjust itā€¦ its an extremely minor issue.

i dont know why but you seem to be willing it to fail, somewhat desperate for it to be a massive issueā€¦ i get itā€¦ i really do, it SUCKS when something better comes along.

1 Like

Its a spring too weakā€¦in their quick release.I know about a week now. Will from boosted media mentioned the problem in his review. Because he was informed by Asetek, that the spring is too weak and under some circumstances the wheel could come off. But again: go aheadā€¦

yes its a spring too weakā€¦ easy fixā€¦ and even if they didnā€™t fix it how many people are going to try to force the wheel off in that way?

you are talking like its a complete failure lol its the same design as the simucube version but with a different method to secure the wheel to the hub, im sure you would agree the simucube version is fantastic so having the same design with a different method to secure it while adding power is franklyā€¦ genius. If the wheels were easy to pop off i would fully agree with you, but even with the ā€˜ā€˜weakā€™ā€™ spring they took some massive force to make it not be up to the job.

At this point its really a non issue, Asetek didnt want it to be that way and they did what they needed to do to correct itā€¦ no massive failure to speak of here, minor tweaks required, i would bet my house that spring is user serviceable aswell so you could even put your own spring in if you so desire.

5 minutes ago you didnt even knew about. Now, you already know its nothing. You are right: they stopped delivery because of nothing. Asetek is far better than Simucube. Their quick release is far better than Simucube. Their pedals too. Simucube is a bit under Thrustmaster, and a bit above Logitec

what are you talking about dude lol how can you say 5 minutes ago i didnt know about it?? go back to page 21 of this thread, i was talking about this spring issue 3 days ago.

i NEVER said the asetek bases are better than simucube, i have no idea because i dont currently have oneā€¦ the only thing ive said is i like what they did with the QR, its obviously a step forward, the simucube QR with power is an obvious advantage provided it works as they intend it to.

There really is no need to get upset about it, we all share the same hobby and love here for the hardware, i REALLY think the simucube hardware is amazing, granite clearly have THE best pedal on the planet right now. Just relax mate, keep it friendly and dont be upset, its ok if something is better or worse, im sure the guys at granite would agree talking about all this stuff is a learning process, im sure they will see what works and what does not work and improve aspects of wheelbases in future based on information we have today.

1 Like

This issue with the Asetek QR is blown out of proportion. What matters is not what minor issues are discovered in any product, but how the Suppliers choose to deal with it.

I will keep a complete neutral outlook on the Asetek wheel-base until after Iā€™ve tested it, but I am quite sure Asetek might probably not send me one, but letā€™s see. With their design, I quite like what I see, knowing the quality of the controller and the underlying filters used in the SC2, I know the Asetek base will be solid from that perspective.

Whilst I think they are talking porkies about the (high) slew-rate and itā€™s effect on sim racing, I like the overall servo-casing design, and a few of the features they chose to implement. I have a lot of time for the Mige servo this design is based upon. For the money, the performance always was above average, and I am expecting no less from the Asetek unit. It will be solid, reliable and very good in delivering ffb.

I made a solid review of a few dd wheels at the time back somewhere late in 2016 over at iRacing, including Bodnar SS2 and later also the SC2. Back then already, my pov was that hardware was almost at the pinnacle of the dd wheel evolution, my humble opinion was that the way forward will be in drive controllers, capacity and capability of those to handle complex filters, and a few other key points,

So when guys are trying to tell me that Moza and Simagic, for example, are pushing the boundaries, I can only shake my head. They are decent entry-level devices, nothing more. To get to the level where SC2, potentially Asetek is, will take a huge amount of work on filters, controllers, and selecting the correct servos.

Going lighter in this respect, selecting the lowest possible inertia, stuff like that, will not yield the best results. Contrary to what YouTubers are claiming.

Letā€™s come back to the Asetek if/when I get one in my hands.

3 Likes

I believe that Asetek will launch a very good product.
Sure, the base still has a few minor problems, but the way Asetek deals with them makes a big difference in my eyes.
Nothing is covered up, but addressed transparently and a return action has already been initiated.

The only thing that bothers me a bit is that a separate mounting mechanism was established instead of building on existing solutions.
If you wanted to switch to Asetek, you would have to buy a new mounting solution again.

Also the fact that for the wheel Simhub is not supported, has for me a bad taste.

I hope that helps. I thinks it is much easier for you if you got a picture of the Torque and the Slew Rate.
It is a very powerfull tool to setup your your wheelbase and it is the reason why i think SC2 is the best wheelbase.

Thanks for that input, I think you said it very well.

When I say about moza and simagic I certainly donā€™t speak from a hardware perspective, I think itā€™s clear to see to anybody that the hardware is manufactured to save cost and in a way Iā€™d say itā€™s even clear to most people that Asetek aswell has even made obvious shortcuts to save cost, stupid things like the plastic casing in the rear and front, itā€™s all to save money and thatā€™s something the simucube products can never be accused of.

In regards to moza and simagic though Iā€™m strictly speaking about the ecosystem, maybe being a Chinese brand being capable of high capacity manufacturing for cheap means they can design products and get them to production very fast compared to European manufacturers, but either way what that means is they have a rapidly growing ecosystem and that lends itself to being very popular for consumers, we know fanatecā€™s success is down to the ecosystem they have built even if most of their products in my opinion are lower quality, for most consumers they just see a brand that is pushing forward to succeed.

Thatā€™s kind of where Iā€™m at when it comes to simucube, fantastic hardware. In fact in my experience flawless (except the Bluetooth connection which Iā€™m sure has been an issue for me) but the issue is there is no real ecosystem, the software is at a point where I feel itā€™s hit a wall and canā€™t go much further with minor refinements over time, maybe thatā€™s a good thing, itā€™s better than having issues that need fixing right lol.

But because of that itā€™s hard to stay excited, seeing the pedal granite designed is staggering but quite frankly I canā€™t afford it and probably never could - so it just does not hit with me like it should because I could never have it. I would rather have a simucube F1 wheel priced at Ā£1200 that integrated perfectly with the simucube base perfectly and Iā€™d buy that tomorrow, I could afford that but I donā€™t feel like anything like that is coming so we need to look at third party which is ok I guess but itā€™s not a simucube product.

So yes even though I have a simucube 2 pro right here in front of me the prospect of having an Asetek in front of me does get me excited because it starts where the simucube seems to be right now and has so much room to expand further and I guess I was hoping I would come to this forum (which is outstanding by the way) and be told by Mika or phillip or somebody that the SC2 isnā€™t finished, the software is going to expand and improve, we have wheels planned that will blow your mind etc etc but nothing really, it seems like the mentality is we have what we have and thatā€™s where it ends.

Hope all that makes sense and isnā€™t just rambling for nothing.

Yes I absolutely agree about the asetek mounting, in fact itā€™s the one thing Iā€™m struggling to find, Iā€™ve ordered a base and their wheel but canā€™t find anywhere to order a front mount that will be with me on time for the base arrival, in fact some uk shops are stating the front mount wonā€™t be available until Decemberā€¦ yes December lol I could order direct from asetek but their shipping cost is ridiculous so I wonā€™t order from there just out of principle, Iā€™m not paying that shipping price.

If the mounting was more traditional it would be so much better.

How much is the shipping cost? I thought you can order it with the base.

i ordered the base with a uk store (pure sims) because im in the uk and so it should be shipped and get to me quicker while avoiding the customs nonsenseā€¦ problem is they dont currently have the mounting solutions up for pre order and who knows when they will.

i contacted the upshift store yesterday (also uk based) because they are the ones that do show mounting solutions for sale and they contacted me today to say that they are reserving the mounts for everybody that has ordered the wheelbase from them due to limited stock, hence why they listed it as due december if you just order the mount alone.

As for Asetek, they want 50 euro just for shipping, then ill have to pay 20 percent VAT on top of that when it arrives in the country, plus customs handling feeā€™sā€¦ so for what should be a Ā£140 mount it will end up more like Ā£200 and thats just way too much for a mount.

I see.
Iā€™ve already read that itā€™s not so easy to get things cheap in the UK anymore :frowning:

yeh its a bit of a mess, not so bad if you can get stuff from UK based stores ofcourse but when you need to start ordering from overseas it becomes a mess.

Ecosystem:strong text
The word ā€œecosystemā€ was first used in print by A. G. Tansley (1935) in his well-known paper on vegetational concepts and terms.

Business ecosystem:
Starting in the early 1990s, James F. Moore originated the strategic planning concept of a business ecosystem, now widely adopted in the high tech industry. The basic definition comes from Jim Mooreā€™s book, The Death of Competition: Leadership and Strategy in the Age of Business Ecosystems
Moore defined ā€œbusiness ecosystemā€ as:

An economic community supported by a foundation of interacting organizations and individualsā€”the organisms of the business world. The economic community produces goods and services of value to customers, who are themselves members of the ecosystem. The member organisms also include suppliers, lead producers, competitors, and other stakeholders. Over time, they co evolve their capabilities and roles, and tend to align themselves with the directions set by one or more central companies. Those companies holding leadership roles may change over time, but the function of ecosystem leader is valued by the community because it enables members to move toward shared visions to align their investments, and to find mutually supportive roles.

Ecosystem in the gaming industry the way companies like Fanatec abuse the term:

In hardware gaming industry, the term ecosystem is an euphemism for the so called vendor lock-in effect, which is defined as:

The lock-in effect refers to a situation in which consumers are dependent on a single manufacturer or supplier for a specific service, and cannot move to another vendor without substantial costs or inconvenience.

All companies, aswell Granite, are working to achieve this goal. Granite Fe has already successfully did this to customers with their steering wheel. The pedal with its software is another step, and a very tricky one. Once you have a pedal for over 2ā€™000 Euros per piece, will you sacrifice it to move to a manufacturer you canā€™t use it?

The industry uses this ā€œecosystemā€ so clever, that people defend the prison they are sitting in.

Jimā€™s Marketing Blog
What is The Lock-in Effect?
By Jim Connolly - Published: August 6, 2021
One way to retain more of your customers is a The Lock-in Effect, also known as vendor lock-in is almost universally frowned upon
One way to retain more of your customers is a tactic called The Lock-in Effect. The Lock-in Effect, also known as vendor lock-in is almost universally frowned upon. And with good reason too. Itā€™s a selfish and manipulative approach to business.
Itā€™s a term thatā€™s typically used to explain a practice, where a company makes it extremely hard for their customers to leave them / switch to another party.

1 Like

ahh i see - so what you are saying is ecosystem is short for vendor lock inā€¦ i guess that makes Asetek look even better then huh since they are opening their design up to third party manufacturers aswell.

Regardless of how you define ecosystem the consumers enjoy progression, granite devices are actually in such a position they can have their own ecosystem without it being vendor locking because the design is open to third parties aswell.

fanatec also is open to third party wheels being used you would just need a specific adapter.

So when speaking of ecosystem, nobody is actually asking that they want to be locked into a vendor, what we are saying is it would be nice to have more options available directly from the vendor that works perfectly in unison with the vendors hardware rather than just having the option of third party wheels. And granite have started doing that, we dont think the tahko wheel is them trying to vendor lock to we? no we dont, what it is - is what we want more of, wheels designed specifically to be used with the hardware with extra features enabled as a bonus of being from that vendor which is why you can control the simucube hardware settings using a tahko wheel, its the added benefit of a wheel designed in unison with the hardware.