Simucube 2 pro slew rate

https://www.quantamagazine.org/does-time-really-flow-new-clues-come-from-a-century-old-approach-to-math-20200407/

This is very true with regard to what Mika says about it changingā€¦ Slew (physical or digital) may not always produce a linear application of torque.

As stated prior it is basically how long does it take to get from here to there. It doesnā€™t dictate the path taken.

A Servo that has a light weight armature has less physical inerta.

So if you take two servos with the same Slew Rate but one has an armature that is twice the weight of the other. Both will start their progression to torque at the same time However the one with the heavier armature will ramp up quicker while the heavier one will exponentially ramp up at a slower rate however they will both achieve the same Torque at the same time.

This also will work sort of in reverse on the coast down as Mika says as the heavier servo May actually have a slower coast down Slew than a lighter servo due to the Flywheel effect of the weight.

This could all be extrapolated into heavier or lighter weight wheels as well.

Mika also pointed out a big factor in all this is that two servos with different winding methods or even magnet styles will produce differing magnetic field strengths and timings which again has an effect of torque ramp up and ramp downā€¦

So this is where the slew ā€œnumbersā€ especially in regard to FFB in all cases sort of donā€™t mean much as it is more about the feel provided than what the number impliesā€¦ Through years of driving with these things form all sorts of manufacturers The most natural feel comes from Heavier servos that Produce an exponential increase in torque reducing the initial jolt through the wheelā€¦

From Posts made and extrapolating comments it is inferred that this sort of Servo could not be used by Granite for use due to power consumption issues, Heavier servos generally require a decent amount of Power to get Moving OR have to be designed to be extremely efficient (aka MORE $$$). So the Slew filter is that equalizer by limiting the rate change of torque you gain the slower Ramp Up of having the higher inertial servo (though you sort of lose the exponential nature of the physical slew rate).

The other thing to factor here is that, at least with iRacing we are getting signals, at a rate of 60 per secondā€¦ We will never really get two set points a second apart so with FFB we will never fully realize the physical slew character of the servo. This is another reason why the exponential loss of the Slew limiting filter is not really a big deal with regard to FFB feel.

Wikipedia:
Time in physics

In physics, time is defined by its measurement: time is what a clock reads.

In classical, non-relativistic physics, it is a scalar quantity (often denoted by the symbol t) and, like length, mass, and charge, is usually described as a fundamental quantity.

Mechanics has 2 sub disciplines: classic physics and quantum physics.

You are definitely correct: a Simucube 2 is based on quantum physics, which deals with atomic objects and their phenomena and objects move with a velocity which is an appreciable fraction of the velocity of light speed.

My fault

Quite a few things - quality of components being the most important, high-quality copper wire used in the windings, higher quality magnets used, generally, top-end servos also have higher quality encoders, although some of the others might use the same brand as the Simucube Ultimate is using.

Coming to the electronics, capacity /capability of the controllers, pcb quality, layout, design and noise-immunity, amongst others. Support, not only from the Supplier, but also the community. Simucube have a big lead here as well.

Anyway, in a couple of months, I will launch my review channel, going to have a bit of fun with some of the ā€˜factsā€™ out there :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I hope you have a master in quantum physics. Itā€™s gonna be difficult without it, Phillip.
You should bear in mind that a millisecond doesnā€™t equal a cycle time for a frequency 1kHz no more, and neither are 1ā€™000 milliseconds a second no more, which means the period of a 1 Hz oscillator is now unknown. For all this breaking news Iā€™d like to thank @Andrew_WOT.

1 Like

People get to hung up on theory :lols: Iā€™m much more of a practical guy :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Then I see a bright future for your review channel, even when you donā€™t speak about objects traveling almost at light speed :penguin:. Good luck :four_leaf_clover:

PS: if you ever encounter a stationary, rotating shaft traveling from Tampere to Lucerne, let me know. Iā€™d like to welcome itā€¦

1 Like

wont it be a bit difficult running a review channel when you naturally have a bias towards simucube products?

I know first hand how good the Simucube products are, nothing but exceptional in my experience but the question is how long can it maintain that ā€˜ā€˜best in classā€™ā€™ status? for example in my opinion the simucube QR is one of the best ive ever used but there was never any doubt that its weakness was a lack of power transmission for wheels, it was only a matter of time before somebody used the same design and improved upon itā€¦ (which is quite ironic to say now we know asetek are actually having some issues with it)

I also agree that even though ive not needed support too often with my simucube the community you guys have here is strong and clearly many of your team are very active here which is first class customer service, it is a big part of owning the product so i agree with that.

In regards to electronics, pcb quality, design etc again i think its hard to argue against the simucube products but surely it is only a matter of time before real legit challengers come along.

The reason i say this is because my own personal opinion is i think the simucube as a brand is a very slow burn, I feel like its being overtaken with no response, brands like moza which clearly look trash in comparison still seem to be growing exponentially because they are making a bigger push to expand the ecosystemā€¦ i just expected granite to go with the market more, maybe release a cheaper simucube wheelbase alternative, offer more wheels as well as other accessories but instead you guys seem to be relying on your current reputation to carry you forward.

Maybe im completely wrong and you have 5 wheels in development and pedals accessible to more people but i feel a sense of stagnation, im not excited by true drive releases anymore because it seems you may have hit a wall where it cant go no furtherā€¦ things like this.

Thats kind of what excites me about brands like Asetek pushing into the market and i mean Asetek specifically because we know the kind of starting point they have with you guys, i mean there couldnā€™t be a better starting point right? the software looks extremely similar from the off and because its literally the first evolution it has room to grow while i dont get that sense with the simucube 2 currently.

i cant be the only one that feels this way, obviously the simucube hardware and software aswell as online support is some of the best if not THE best and has been for a long time i do feel like you guys know that and are playing it safe, a bit too safe though its becoming less exciting over time.

2 Likes

Wouldnā€™t it be nice to have a kind of ā€œinsights/facts versus marketing/in depth informationā€ channel?
I donā€™t think @phillip.vanrensburg has the time to do it on a daily basis. I myself would love to see comparisons covering stuff like precision, details that are game changers Aso
Asetek bought IP from Granite, so itā€™s most likely about software. While this seems to work very good, their own designed QR has some problems. A surprise? Maybe
Good for them: not really
Did I wish Asetek will have problems: absolutely not
Why? It doesnā€™t help me if someone has problems. And I always think about their share price, and the right time to get some :grin:

The channel will span much more than DD wheels. And many products from some select suppliers. Watch it, donā€™t watch it, all good :slight_smile:

And yes, it is absolutely fair to say I am biased towards good products. Who wouldnā€™t be?

2 Likes

well ofcourse we dont know the ins and outs of the IP purchase, it does look to be more than just software since the QR is a very similar design with ā€˜ā€˜improvementsā€™ā€™ i guess we could say. I also believe its in granite devices best interest for Asetek to do well because the acquisition included shares so the bigger Asetek get the more valuable shares become right.

I also think Asetek seem to be on top of the QR issue as it does seem quite simple, the simucube QR has play in it without the pin so the pin closes that tolerance or takes up that slack, Aseteks solution is a spring to close that tolerance and i believe the issue is the spring is a bit too weak so they are changing them which hopefully fixes the issue.

ahh come on mate you know and i know its not a bias just because they are good products lol you work for the company so naturally you will have only good things to sayā€¦

Luckily i expect it would all be true because we all know how good simucube products are but the point i was making is surely its a matter of time before legit competitors to that quality come alongā€¦ i dont expect you to say if you believe Asetek has that product or not because Granite and Asetek likely have a close relationship so i can understand why people seem to be ducking the talk about Asetek a bit :slight_smile: its not easy to say ā€˜ā€˜yes Asetek has taken our design and improved itā€™ā€™ so i dont expect you to say thatā€¦ what im asking for more directly is how will Granite respond, what are the plans.

The reason i ask this is because i have a simucube and i have an Asetek on the way, i dont know what to keep i really dont as i dont have the Asetek yet but it would be great to have a picture of what Granite plan, how might the software evolve further, how might future hardware expand etc etc. Its all quite top secret with simucube :slight_smile:

My pin has no play. Simply because it just fits, and the security notch tightens totally. And the QR is so rock solid, it would be the last thing I changed. Plus, although I change wheels quite a lot they come out so easily, really awesome. The IP trade, was financially (although itā€™s not a lost realized), a catastrophy: share price declined toā€¦ whateverā€¦
If ones only make vids or posts on its own products itā€™s called marketing. Granite has 3 DDs and the pedal project. So this would be a very short term project. Anyway, decisions are made by remote control, likes, singing up Aso. Letā€™s see if @phillip.vanrensburg has entertainer potential, if not: let us cruzify him :joy::grin: ā€¦ donā€™t curb your enthusiasmā€¦

no thats what i was saying, without the pin there is play, even though the tolerance is tight there is still play without the pin and inserting the pin removes that play

Bro, if there is 0 tolerance, how will the 2 pieces ever gonna slip into each other? With a hammer?
Even worse, how you gonna take it off? Hammering upside down, or the other way around?

i think you are missing my point lol i LOVE the simucube QR, its the most rigid QR ive ever felt, im saying its normal to have play in the QR without the pin. What i was saying is the issue with Asetekā€™s design is they dont have something as rigid as the pin to secure the connection they only have a weaker spring (spring will always be weaker than a solid pin) so they are changing the spring for a stiffer alternative to solve the issue they have.

1 Like

Sorry! Sorryā€¦ totally missunderstoodā€¦I should work, would like to drive or playing pokerā€¦ didnā€™t really paid attention then. Without the pin my wheels would fall to the floor when turning too far. With the pin, I think I could lift my PSR1 rig. Of course it would bend the shaft, destroy the Sport. But breaking there, I donā€™t think so
Again: sorry šŸ¤¦

I have never worked for Granite Devices. I was involved in discussions and lots of testing around Simucube 1 and 2ā€¦.but no, not worked for them in the true sense of the word. One can argue, I worked extensively for global sim communities during Simucube 1/2 development though :slight_smile:

Hope that clarifies it.

2 Likes

SC2 QR design is not horrible, but not the best in class either.
Xero-Play or even Buchfink Q1R are much better and easier to use options, without sticking out pin waiting to catch on something or wheel getting stuck requiring mallet application for removal, quicker to use as well.
Asetek got rid of the pin, made the release truly ā€œquickā€ and the best thing, added ability for wheelbase to power and communicate with wheel without cables or spotty battery powered BT.

1 Like

i would like to say i never had any issues with the bluetooth connection but i actually do think i did have an issue, i even made a post on here a couple months back asking about it because every now and then i would get mis shifts and it was driving me a bit mad, ended up changing the battery in the wheel thinking it was just that and i still would get mis shifts now and thenā€¦ i ended up changing to a wired wheel (cube F pro) and that worked flawlessly, first wired wheel i had used in years so yeh in the end i do think it was actually the bluetooth but it could have been a massive list of causes, maybe something was interfering with it i just dont know, i do have wireless controllers, headsets etc.

anyway, long story short i am kinda looking forward to using a QR thats powered again, Asetek even confirmed they have a partnership with many third party wheels from cube and GSI, ascher etc to make their wheels work natively with the new QR, thats sooooo good.

i just wish there was something to look forward to with my simucube, its starting to watch others overtake and pull away and it annoys me a littleā€¦ will never mean its not just such incredible hardware though so i hate to sound like im dumping on it.

2 Likes