Simucube 2 Pro R2?

Its opt-in in the True Drive software.

I can’t reveal the percentage.

1 Like

Ok understood you can’t release.

The only reason I asked was I was wondering if you were basing your desicions by analyzing data from the majority or minority of actual users.

Thanks for the response

You did lower the power limit in a firmware release quite a while ago.Does it mean that the old device had made a sacrifice to be compatible with the new one? So Reduce the original better performance? Because the old equipment has a higher power supply than the new one. And the price of the new equipment is lower in Augury. For old device users, we want to get the full power of the wheel base, even though we may no feel of it. Thanks.

You are still getting the full power, the same FFB quality and experience, and same torque while driving, no worries. The performance is exactly the same.

Just to add, that the percentage was closer to majority than a minority. Very much enough to make conclusions on how the devices are being used.

Sampled majority, not everyone has telemetry enabled.
I’d suspect anyone with any sense of privacy has it disabled.
A bit disheartening to learn that you silently rolled this change out without any mentioning in the release notes. What that artificial limit buys for R1 owners?
I remember a while back Tommo was saying that SC2 Pro needs at least 450watt, but now it’s at most.
I hope we are still getting advertised sustained Nm.

1 Like

All interesting…

Have to say looking at the back of the new product im actually super pleased I got the old version this week (I knew beforehand when ordering also)

Coming from a DD1 it surprised me how small the two PSU’s for the pro are in comparison (new single PSU looks massive again)… I printed this bracket (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4596033) to hold them together as one and mount in the bottom corner of my rig in the same place I mounted the old Podium PSU. Looks super neat.

And also coming from the podium I really appreciated the power ‘Switch’ on the back which is super easy to find and has a very satisfying click to it… also the bright LED that shines on my cables so I can glance around and clearly see it on… looks like the new one has a different tiny power button in the middle very much like the Podium which I didnt care for and the LED being built into the PSU connector housing just isnt as good as a dedicated LED imo.

Either way its very small points, I would have been super happy with either unit arriving frankly.

2 Likes

Good point on switch, on R1 I can easily reach the back of the motor without getting out of the seat as it’s in a lower left corner. The new one smack dab in the middle, surrounded by antenna and cables.
Sounds like the best is the enemy of the good situation.

It’s a little weird hearing about the limiting having been put in.
I was feeling this some time back, that it felt “weaker” than I remembered it. But I put it off to a combination of me remembering wrong/that maybe something somehow semi-broke in my base or that I had gotten used to the force and gained some strength using it…

From my understanding of the posted I should not be able to feel that, but just putting here that I had this experience of thinking it felt weaker…

I am not saying I am sure this is what caused the feeling or that it actually was a correct feeling of mine, only that I had this sensation and it has lingered with me, please don’t read me wrong.

It could very well just be the case that I got used to the forces. But it’s still a weird coincidence.

1 Like

Mika mentioned “Only we can get this version of the PSU. It is custom made.”

Was the old 2x280W version using “standard” PSU and in case that PSU failed I could just go online and order one?

What is the case with this new custom made PSU? I’m sure that during warranty period it won’t be an issue to get replacement, but what about after that, will this be available to purchase through resellers and is manufacturer still making these custom PSUs in case that we will for example have Simucube 3 (and Simucube 2 is phased out)?

I’m sure we will have replacements available for years to come.

I am sure that it is about this. R1 version never used all the 560W as having dual PSU connection in parallel, the available max power is not double the two power supplies but less than that, around 80% from the theoretical max power.

2 Likes

Does 80% efficiency apply to new PSU as well.
As in this case to deliver 450W it should be rated at 562.5W, almost double of advertised 300W.

No, I was explaining that how much power you can draw from 2 power supplies that are connected in parallel, I was explaining that it is not double, but around 80% what the PSU gives if used as single unit. When you have 1 power supply, it is directly as it reads in the PSU specifications sheet.

Is it?
From the little info I gathered even single PSU is 80-90% efficient at best, thus the whole 80 Plus certification.

The detail that I explain has nothing to do with efficiency. I meant to say that you can only draw about 80% from the theoretical doubled max as in parallel connection the power supplies unevenly loaded. If it would be possible to perfectly evenly load them, then it would be possible to load both of the power supplies 100%.

You are confusing input/output wattage where the efficiency is calculated from.

Here you get all the Informations about the new Power Unit PPL300U-480

https://www.mouser.de/datasheet/2/323/PPL300U-1608332.pdf

Looking normal than others to me.

Is it the exactly same motor than in the old R1 Version or something different ?

That datasheet is not valid for the version that is customized for us for Simucube 2 Pro. The version supplied with the product has 450 W peak power output.

The biggest problem is people keep on comparing the SC2 servos to OSW Mige servos, and as you and I are aware, the SC2 servos have been purposely selected for their inherent efficiency and superior NM/A ratio, vs the Mige.

People cannot, and should not, therefore try and draw conclusions from the Mige’s specs.

Anyway, the psu you have selected with it’s (custom) overhead capacity is more than sufficient for both Sport and Pro, especially if we consider the torque-spikes based on the very many torque-test excels I have forwarded to Tero.

So the community has nothing to fear here, they will not be able to trip these psu’s on excess current with these two servos.

Just imho, of course.

1 Like