Simucube 2 Pro R2?

Interesting, only a single 300W power supply, but previous version has 2x280W. I thought new would have 450W?

Good point. Did I get the wrong PSU?

We worked closely with the PSU manufacturer and managed to customize the peak output to 450W for sufficient periods of time that is required to produce the required torques. We used the Simucube 2 True Drive telemetry data from R1 users to analyze the power consumption peaks.

Only we can get this version of the PSU. It is custom made.

However it was not required to change the PSU model number - that would have required a full CE certification by the manufacturer. Instead, we did a full new certification for the R2 as whole, including the PSU.

2 Likes

ok good to know I wasn’t shipped the wrong PSU. I was worried that your website lists 450W while the sticker on it is showing 300W. Might be worth clarifying on website or you’ll get a lot of questions from new owners

1 Like

@Mika how did you determine what defines a “sufficient period of time”?

Also, would I be correct in thinking that the R2 psu could not sustain peak power consumption for as long a period as the 2x R1 PSUs can?

The telemetry downloads from the servo drive included data that contained power consumption and the length of such consumption. By this, we could then get real life data on how Pro drivers were using their units, and noticed that the product really did not do anything with the extra power that is available with the 2x280W units. This analysis then made it possible for us to switch to this custom single PSU solution without sacrificing anything.

The peak power consumption is digitally controlled and stays within the same parameters for all Simucube 2 Pro models.

1 Like

Not even Mean Well, and that power rating? :panda_face:
Afraid I am gonna stick with what I have.

I can also quote Tommi here:

We also did proper analysis of this PSU design, loaded it to absolute limits, used heat cameras, disassembled it to analyze everything.

Result was that it is arguably even better quality than MeanWell.

And what is this for?

Emergency Stop Connection

2 Likes

Right, silly me.
Everything got rearranged.
:upside_down_face:

Thanks for the explanation Mika.

You said “The peak power consumption is digitally controlled and stays within the same parameters for all Simucube 2 Pro models.”

Can I ask if the peak power limit has been modified/changed for all units to incorporate the introduction of the R2 psu?

The reason I ask is that these limits have me wondering if we older users could theoretically use a just a single 280W R1 psu. I suppose it’s more complicated than I’m making it sound…

No, that single PSU is not sufficient to drive the unit to 25 Nm. Also the peak power consumption is digitally controlled and has been tuned specifically to be a fit to the PSU setup in the Pro model, and thus you would get PSU overcurrent shutoffs even if you scaled down the max torque.

As reported in another thread, the peak power is consumed in not so obvious situations in the servo motor system.

1 Like

Are we saying that all SC2 Pro units are digitally limited to 450Watt Peak power?
A bit confused on how you could use telemetry to tell that it never exceeds that number if it was limited from the get go?
Is there by any chance a way for end user to access that telemetry data, I remember the questions were raised in the past on how to check if the unit produces the power it should.
Some Nm telemetry graph would be awesome.

Yes, all are now. We did lower the power limit in a firmware release quite a while ago and nobody noticed anything. This confirmed our suspicion that those telemetry events that exceeded that level were very rare (which was 100% proven, clear as day in the data) and were related to e. g. full torque right while user was also turning right and thus not measurable/feelable in practice at all.

1 Like

Just out of interest, are you able to tell us what the peak power limit was before the firmware change that you mentioned?

Well the Mean Well PSUs have over current shutoff with very little tolerance, and we had some reasonable margin there as well.

Thanks for all the replies, Mika. I’ll be interested to see the results of your future tests in regards to seeing if this R2 psu could be paired with the original SC2 Pro without the need for a splitter cable :slightly_smiling_face:

@ Mika
Just curious.
What % of SC2 units sold are you getting telemetry from?

Is it still something that you have to opt into, or are units automatically sending data?