Simucube 2 Pro R2?

The Antenna Case was a major dissapointment because is performance related, but IIRC the price was increased at that time, so my personal indignation was “dampened” and I never trusted in unwired tech from competitive perspective.

It was not. A slight price adjustment was made much later last year.

1 Like

One of my oldest friends always gets a bit jealous if he drops by and tries my gaming hardware.
He’s got enough money, could easily buy the same or better equipment.
But he can’t.
Because he’s waiting for the next generation of graphics cards to launch, doesn’t want to invest in equipment getting replaced by the next generation soon.
He does that for more than five years now. Yes, five years.
No gaming, no fun because as soon as he is willing to buy, the next generation gets announced.
I am happily gaming, update my hardware every two years or so.
Of course I lose some money, but the gain of fun is priceless.

So what’s your opinion, what’s better? Waiting or gaming? :wink:

The antenna issue had to be corrected, sure a thing. And to be honest: I just don’t get it how Granite could go the way of burying the antenna inside the casing - opposite the wheel and in the middle of all that other HF components. That’s just april-joke insane. :grin:
So THAT had been a real issue and a “don’t buy” matter.
Very different from that two-PSUs “issue”, being just a slight inconvenience at most. I even regard it as a benefit - but that’s a personal thing.

What I don’t like is the secretiveness about handling the topic. German saying: “Würmer aus der Nase ziehen” (ferret something out of someone), meaning that you really need to push someone to reveal some information.

Granites: Just put your cards on the table, don’t hold back with information till revealing something becomes totally unavoidable. And put all cards on the table, not just the ones you just cannot hold back anymore. :wink:

5 Likes

Im a new SC2 Pro buyer (just sold a DD1)

I saw this thread and contacted SRB before ordering to see what version I would be getting… Tommo instantly said that it would be the dual supply… and the new one would still be 2-3 weeks out.

Knowing this still didn’t bother me… I ordered to dual PSU version and printed these holders for them to fit them onto my rig bolted together as a single PSU - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4596033

they look great printed and i wont even notice it mounted on my rig, so I honestly couldn’t care less which version I have once I was assured there was no performance difference.

1 Like

My R2 just came in from DSD! I’m attaching some photos since I have’t seen any images posted yet of power supply or revised unit backplate.

4 Likes

Interesting, only a single 300W power supply, but previous version has 2x280W. I thought new would have 450W?

Good point. Did I get the wrong PSU?

We worked closely with the PSU manufacturer and managed to customize the peak output to 450W for sufficient periods of time that is required to produce the required torques. We used the Simucube 2 True Drive telemetry data from R1 users to analyze the power consumption peaks.

Only we can get this version of the PSU. It is custom made.

However it was not required to change the PSU model number - that would have required a full CE certification by the manufacturer. Instead, we did a full new certification for the R2 as whole, including the PSU.

2 Likes

ok good to know I wasn’t shipped the wrong PSU. I was worried that your website lists 450W while the sticker on it is showing 300W. Might be worth clarifying on website or you’ll get a lot of questions from new owners

1 Like

@Mika how did you determine what defines a “sufficient period of time”?

Also, would I be correct in thinking that the R2 psu could not sustain peak power consumption for as long a period as the 2x R1 PSUs can?

The telemetry downloads from the servo drive included data that contained power consumption and the length of such consumption. By this, we could then get real life data on how Pro drivers were using their units, and noticed that the product really did not do anything with the extra power that is available with the 2x280W units. This analysis then made it possible for us to switch to this custom single PSU solution without sacrificing anything.

The peak power consumption is digitally controlled and stays within the same parameters for all Simucube 2 Pro models.

1 Like

Not even Mean Well, and that power rating? :panda_face:
Afraid I am gonna stick with what I have.

I can also quote Tommi here:

We also did proper analysis of this PSU design, loaded it to absolute limits, used heat cameras, disassembled it to analyze everything.

Result was that it is arguably even better quality than MeanWell.

And what is this for?

Emergency Stop Connection

2 Likes

Right, silly me.
Everything got rearranged.
:upside_down_face:

Thanks for the explanation Mika.

You said “The peak power consumption is digitally controlled and stays within the same parameters for all Simucube 2 Pro models.”

Can I ask if the peak power limit has been modified/changed for all units to incorporate the introduction of the R2 psu?

The reason I ask is that these limits have me wondering if we older users could theoretically use a just a single 280W R1 psu. I suppose it’s more complicated than I’m making it sound…

No, that single PSU is not sufficient to drive the unit to 25 Nm. Also the peak power consumption is digitally controlled and has been tuned specifically to be a fit to the PSU setup in the Pro model, and thus you would get PSU overcurrent shutoffs even if you scaled down the max torque.

As reported in another thread, the peak power is consumed in not so obvious situations in the servo motor system.

1 Like

Are we saying that all SC2 Pro units are digitally limited to 450Watt Peak power?
A bit confused on how you could use telemetry to tell that it never exceeds that number if it was limited from the get go?
Is there by any chance a way for end user to access that telemetry data, I remember the questions were raised in the past on how to check if the unit produces the power it should.
Some Nm telemetry graph would be awesome.